All Topics / Help Needed! / frankston north decent investment ?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Profile photo of echidnaechidna
    @echidna

I am a Melbourne lad living overseas.

I am also considering investing in a house in North Frankston to hold for approximately ten years.

Any recent news on the North or general Frankston area ?
    I understand that real estate prices are softening in Melbourne?
    Has interest in the Frankston area waned over the past months ?

If anyone has a strong opinion about why I should definately NOT buy
    in North Frankston, I be very intersted to hear it before I take the plunge [hmmm]

Thanks in advance.
    John.

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney

There is another current thread about Frankston so check out replies there too.

Frankston Nth?

It depends what you are looking for in your investment.

Frankston North is a pretty rough area and unlikley to change. That means poor capital growth, but slightly higher rental returns.

I would not invest there, I think I could find better areas – there is nothing new about getting a higher cash flow by buying in secondary areas.

Its just not a great strategy for long term wealth, even if the property is well priced. Prices are low there for a reason – fewer people want to live or invest there, and this is unlikley to change for a long time.

Since you are overseas, if you do choose to buy here – or anywhere for that matter, make sure you have someone here check things out throughly for you.

You may even consider engaging a buyers’ advocate.

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 11,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.PropertyUpdate.com.au

Profile photo of hbhb
    @hb

hi echidna
    totally agree with michael…the prices in frankston haven’t moved in for over 2 years…stuck around $230K
    you might wanna have a look at brighton east….thou
    the median price has plumment by $80k in just the last 6 months
    from over 770k down to 690k……. and still heading south

might find some bargains there soon

..never know might even get down to frankston prices

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

I agree withMichael.

But i am positive on Frankston. I like Sth Frankston, near beach, near new marina, not far from central frankston.

Frankston high has a good reputation.

If you got $700k go for East Brighton. But if you got that much you may as well go for Brighton proper. Me I would prefer to buy two properties around Sth frankston than East Brighton.

Profile photo of Fast LaneFast Lane
    @fast-lane

Apparently the moccasin wearing Mayor has hinted of using an upcoming state election for leverage for some moolah for the Frankston area. Might be worth keeping an eye on.

Dont be driven into investing in Frankston North just because of it’s low prices compared to other metro-Melbourne if that’s what you’re doing.

Frankston is a huge area that cannot be tarred with the one brush. While some areas are over-priced pits, Yack is quite right in saying that there is opportunity in Frankston. I like places near the CBD.

You could even get yourself an apartment next door to Jamie Durie in the about-to-be revamped Pennsula Centre!

Fast Lane- The poster formerly known as g7

Participant
    @michaelyardney
    Originally posted by yack:

I agree withMichael.

But i am positive on Frankston. I like Sth Frankston, near beach, near new marina, not far from central frankston.

Frankston high has a good reputation.

If you got $700k go for East Brighton. But if you got that much you may as well go for Brighton proper. Me I would prefer to buy two properties around Sth frankston than East Brighton.

Thanks for agreeing with me Yack…now its my turn to agre with you[blush2]

Only this week I bought another property in East Brighton – good long term growth area, but a little patchy at present

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES

Profile photo of echidnaechidna
    @echidna

Gentlemen,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.
    Much appreciated.

I am looking for decent capital gains over the next ten years,
    with perhaps a 3-4% rental return on my investment. I have approximately AUD$230K to spend, so my choice of areas is limited.

Since no one here really came to the defense of North Frankston, perhaps I should be considering expanding my budget to allow for a purcahse in South Frankston.

What other areas around Melbourne have okay investment opportunites
    in the low 200Ks ? I was previously considering Central Werribee.

I was planning to use a buyers advocate to deal with finding
    the right property. Can anyone suggest a few Buyers advocates
    in Melbourne who have sound reputations ?

Any advice appreciated,
    Echidna [rolleyesanim]

Participant
    @michaelyardney

If you have $230K to spend, and want strong capital growth you could consider a 1 bedroom apartment in a middle suburb such as Carnegie or Murumbeena in the south east or some northern suburbs.

Our buyers’ advocacy http://www.buyingmelbourne.com.au has bouht 4 such properties for investors in the last 2 months and I think Jack Henderson who runs that division would argue they were purchased at below market price and with some upside potential through minor refurbishment.

Send me a PM or email me if you like.

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES

Profile photo of warrenwilliamwarrenwilliam
    @warrenwilliam

i bought in frankston north last december.paid 174k for 3bed house on 636square metres. house abit run down needs new paint plus carpet.returns $160 week rent. house is situated so approx.7 metre side access and council willgenerally approve 2 so u can build another house on block if block is larger than 600 metres square. i looked at approx. 20 houses down there. being ex housing commission homes most houses have the same design with only about 4 or 5 different variations. cheapest i saw was 155k on smaller block. still rented 4 $165.some houses were immaculate inside not a cent 2 spend.nearest railway station is the one before frankston itself and is about 3 to 4 kms away.i didnt have a big budget to spend so this is a good place for me 2 invest as i feel frankston itself is going ahead with new marina and shopping centre. if thismakes frankston rise in value it must have some sort of positive effect on frankston north even if is seen as aless desirable suburb

Profile photo of leeleedubleeleedub
    Participant
    @leeleedub
    Originally posted by echidna:

I have approximately AUD$230K to spend, so my choice of areas is limited.

I was previously considering Central Werribee.

I was planning to use a buyers advocate to deal with finding
    the right property. Can anyone suggest a few Buyers advocates
    in Melbourne who have sound reputations ?

Any advice appreciated,
    Echidna [rolleyesanim]

Why previously considering Werribee??
    It’s a fantastic value for money spot.
    Like Frankston though it has it’s patchy spots. Werribee isn’t the same all over (same postcode, very different tenants). Half way between the city and Geelong it is a wise choice for the money.
    Haved lived there my whole life and seriously considering purchasing our next IP along the river in the “old part” of town.
    Any questions on Werribee, as a local only too happy to help.

Reg,

Lee

“Practise doesn’t make perfect. Perfect practise make perfect”.

Lee

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

Infrastructure!!! Echidna Infrastructure !!!! [strum] [strum]
    The state government has entered into a private contract for the building of a Toll Road to link the Eastern Freeway with the Mornington Peninsula (Frankston)
    Frankston also has a train line…
    Frankston has a Hospital.
    Frankston offers employment from Dandenong, Cranbourne, Frankston – Lots of Factories – industrial (Tentants can afford to rent)
    People will not buy into Frankston at the moment so the price will stagnate for now.
    The question is Will history repeat itself ?
    Frankston had some incredible price growth last property boom in the order of over 20% per year.
    I remember when the median price was 120,000 in 1995

Profile photo of jonifantajonifanta
    @jonifanta

John,

You really need to be very careful with Frankston. I had a few investment properties and Frankston is an area that is very challenging.
    I could not find a suitable property manager. I went through about 5 different real estate agents. But all of them have the same attitudes. They are unprofessional and work very slow. It is very frustrating if you dont live close by.
    It has been almost 2 years ago when I bought my investment property and I decided to sell it 2 months ago. They took 1 week to get the paperwork ready and after 2 months later it has not been sold. They dont ring me for the progress, so I have to ring them.
    I changed the agents twice, now i am with MPRE I think it is the largest organisation in frankston area. But the work ethic is shocking.
    I just cant wait to get my money out from this area. There are so many houses for sale in frankston. Now, I know part of the reason.

Jonifanta

Profile photo of JohnRJohnR
    @johnr

Hi Echidna

How is your search for a low $200s property going?
    I’m about a month away from securing a deposit for my first Investment Property up to this amount.

Reading Jarrah’s post on +ve cashflow properties has motivated me to get off my bum and look for opportunities out there preferably in or around Melbourne so I can keep an eye on my first one.

Happy hunting!
    Regards, John

[email protected]
    Ph 0410 697 540

Profile photo of StathismStathism
    @stathism

HI
    For 230k budget go to SUNSHINE 12km west from the CBD
    Huge potential, plenty of infrastructure, huge demand for rental.

230k buys you a period home built in the 1930’s with dual occupancy potential! If anybody can beat that only 12km from the CBD let me know so I can also invest in that suburb. Not Braybrook which is 10km from CBD but lacks nice period homes in nice streets.

Profile photo of HarrisHarris
    @harris

Could not disagree with Michael more..!
    I have bought 5 properties in Frankston area and placing an offer on 6th in Seaford.

Frankston Nth has some bad pockets however the price points are rising sharply across the suburb.

I bought 7 & 9 Aleppo Crescent for $144k and $145k in Apr 06.

Both sitting on approx 700sqm land with 3 bed dwelling and being rented by the same tenants for over 4 years paying $150pw each.  Current market rent approx $190 pw each .

Nothing in Frankston Nth with 3 bed house currently available for under $185k. 

For a half decent property, you are looking at atleast $200k.  That represents a 20 – 25% increase for my 2 properties within 12 months..!

Not sure about Michael, however in my books its called a sensational increase.

When comparing frankston with suburbs like werribee, sunshine, deer park.. dont forget its a bayside suburb and with the east link, you are looking at a commuting time of about 40 or less minutes to CBD.

Something else I stumbled upon last week is this property in Seaford,

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin…&tm=1176377144

This t/house and another identical t/house listed for sale in Apr 06 for $310k each. I offered $300k each for both however my offer was declined. Same t/house listed at $389k now and the agent tells me that it should sell within the next couple of days at very close to asking price – This represents again an increase of close to 25% on asking price within 12 months..!

Watching the market and talking to agents almost on a daily basis, I am convinced beyond any doubt that there has been a very significant increase in activity in Frankston,Fran Nth, fran Sth, Seaford and Carrum as well as decent increases in the property values in the last 12 months (espeically last 4 months). There is nothing to suggest that its a minor blip – To me, the increase in activity and property values seem to be on the way up and should acclerate around the east link completion time (late this year).

Almost every second property listed is under offer and selling time of majority of properties seems to be under a week (almost all of the more than 100 properties that I have investigated).

Will keep on posting as more info comes to light and I get quarterly statistics on price points.

Cheers
    Harris

MichaelYardney wrote:
    There is another current thread about Frankston so check out replies there too. Frankston Nth? It depends what you are looking for in your investment. Frankston North is a pretty rough area and unlikley to change. That means poor capital growth, but slightly higher rental returns. I would not invest there, I think I could find better areas – there is nothing new about getting a higher cash flow by buying in secondary areas. Its just not a great strategy for long term wealth, even if the property is well priced. Prices are low there for a reason – fewer people want to live or invest there, and this is unlikley to change for a long time. Since you are overseas, if you do choose to buy here – or anywhere for that matter, make sure you have someone here check things out throughly for you. You may even consider engaging a buyers' advocate. Michael Yardney METROPOLE PROPERTIES Author of Australia's leading property e-magazine. Join over 11,000 readers each month. FREE subscription http://www.PropertyUpdate.com.au
    Profile photo of HarrisHarris
    @harris

Quite the contrary..!  Currently Frankston has the highest amount of properties being under contract/under offer than any suburb outside 12-15 kms radius from an identical property search criteria.

I posted the following thread in another forum:  will paste it here and let you guys replicate the exercise and decide on its merits:

A very simple exercise with very interesting results:

I thought if, as all agents in Frankston say its been the busiest time for them in years, then it must reflect in the figures on real estate website

I chose 3 suburbs – Frankston, Dandenong and Werribee

This was a random selection of suburbs with roughly equal distance to CBD and known to be very strong satellite centres within Melbourne Metro with their own strong local infrastructure.

I believe that the price points would be roughly similar across these suburbs (Werribee might be a bit cheaper). All these 3 suburbs have what people think are really bad pockets and relatively good pockets. Reputation wise, personally I would consider all of them to be equal, however other people might have different opinions based on their own perceptions/ research.

Now to the exercise and results:

I chose realestate.com.au for being the largest and most comprehensive search engine and decided to query all 3 suburbs with identical search criteria

I searched Frankston, Dandenong and Werribee and checked “search surrounding areas” option for all 3

All 3 searches resulted in 200+ searches.

Out of Dandenong’s 200 first search results, 6 properties were “Under contract/ Under offer”

Werribee had 13 under contract

Frankston had 65 properties under contract for the first 200 searches..!

I then checked the dates/ called some agents to confirm the last sale from those searches and found that in all 3 suburbs, oldest sale was approximately 4 weeks. This would discount the theory that real estate agents in Frankston would like to keep the listing up long after the property was sold. Infact one of the property that I bought on 13 Ellis St Frankston about 3 weeks ago has already been taken off the real estate website.

That for me was a very astonishing result. If demand is a key determinant of rising property value, then surely Frankston has possibly the highest activity / demand level out of any other outer suburb in melbourne currently.

The gap is too wide to be side lined as a minor aberration. On the face of this very simple exercise suggests a phenomenal demand factor in Frankston area.

At the risk of being labelled as spruiking the area after I have bought a few properties there, I welcome everyone to counter my conclusion/suggestions with their own arguments and happy to stand corrected, if what I am suggesting does not sound correct.

Regards

Harris

jonifanta wrote:
    John, You really need to be very careful with Frankston. I had a few investment properties and Frankston is an area that is very challenging. I could not find a suitable property manager. I went through about 5 different real estate agents. But all of them have the same attitudes. They are unprofessional and work very slow. It is very frustrating if you dont live close by. It has been almost 2 years ago when I bought my investment property and I decided to sell it 2 months ago. They took 1 week to get the paperwork ready and after 2 months later it has not been sold. They dont ring me for the progress, so I have to ring them. I changed the agents twice, now i am with MPRE I think it is the largest organisation in frankston area. But the work ethic is shocking. I just cant wait to get my money out from this area. There are so many houses for sale in frankston. Now, I know part of the reason. Jonifanta
    Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

I have to agree with Duckster on this (sorry Michael);

We have an I.P in Central "Frangers", and my sister-in-law bought a house in "The Pines" (north Frankston) in 2002 and has doubled her money.

I believe that with the infrastructure there, plus with the Eastlink coming up, and the fact that houses are still very cheap even after the recent growth, North Frankston will have to go up.

I lived in Oakleigh for a time when I was young. It was a cheap, dirty hole, but because of the infrastructure and the transport to the city, it has become high-end. Of course, the period style houses there have played a part too.

Houses on decent sized blocks under $200k are a rarity within 1 hour of the city, but they are still there in Frangers and areas near there, and eventually home owners and investors will have to buy the as other areas become more expensive. The only problem is the rent returns are low. 

Profile photo of aretmaretm
    Participant
    @aretm

yeah go frangers!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.