Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of SwifteagleSwifteagle
    Participant
    @swifteagle

How are you all? I hope you are all well.

I have few questions if any of you could please have an input…

1. For a Wrap to work and provide a positive cashflow, is it necessesary to have a + Investment Property in the first place?

2. If you can use a – geared investment property, how negative can you go to make the Wrap realistic and also return a + cashflow?

I hope I have formulated the right questions and I also hope there is someone out there that can help….

Thank you all.

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi Swifteagle

A wrap is a stand alone positve cashflow real estate technique. Usually a wrapper will purchase a property and then on sell it using an Instalment Contract (a wrap). This transaction provides a positive cashflow each month and quite often a lump sum cash benefit if and when the wrapper refinances his/her wrappees into a traditional loan.

It is also possible to sell a negatively geared IP using via a wrap. This will give you the benefit of positive cashflow for the period the wrappees are with you and the cash lump sum when you refinance them into a traditional mortgage down the road. It may however also be argued that, if you can afford the out of pocket expenses involved with a negatively geared IP you will get a better return, in the long term, by holding on for the long term capital gain. As always, it’s what suits you best.

A couple of the best resources I know of to get a good feel for wraps are:
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com/strategies/wraps.html and

http://www.businesslawyer.com.au/fr_property.html Click on the button under the Vendor Finance for Real Estate Heading

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Profile photo of adambcadambc
    Participant
    @adambc

Hi Swifty,

Now I don’t know whether I’ve misunderstood your question, or whether you’ve misunderstood how Wraps work…

So please allow me to very briefly outline how a wrap works, and then maybe that’ll either help you or you can come back and correct my misunderstanding (!). So here goes:

You buy property for $100K. You pay 20% deposit, and have standard mortgage of say 7% with a 30yr amortisation period. Therefore weekly P&I repayments on $80K at 7% over 30yrs = $122.74.

You find potential buyer who can’t get finance from traditional lenders. You enter into contract to onsell the property to them at an agreed price, over the amount which you paid (say +20% in this case) with deposit (say $10K – perhaps with the assistance of FHOG) with the balance to be paid in installments over 30yrs (ie. same timeframe as your mortgage). You calculate their installment payments based on their purchase price (in this case $120K), less their deposit ($10K) = $110K. Their interest rate will be set at a margin above yours (in this case let’s say + 2% = 9%). Therefore in this case their weekly installments will be $110K over 30yrs at 9% = $204.14.

So the figures in this case would be as follows:

Cash in:
    20% deposit = $20K
    Closing costs (at approx 5%) = $5K
    less Wrappee’s deposit = $10K
    Net cash in = $15K

Cashflow:
    Wrappee’s weekly payments ($204.14)
    less Your weekly payments ($122.74)
    = $81.40 per week x 52 weeks
    = $4232.80 per year.

Therefore CoCR =
    $4232.80 / $15,000
    = 28.2%

Now – clearly this example is oversimplified, however it should give you some idea of how a wrap works. Does this make it clearer for you? If not, or if I’ve missed your point entirely (!), please post again with your question![biggrin]

Cheers,

Adam

Oasis Finance
    for your Vendor Finance solutions
    Achieve the Dream!
    [email protected]

Profile photo of SwifteagleSwifteagle
    Participant
    @swifteagle

Awsome, thanks guys for your time and for putting it down so well…
    I understand how the wrap works but i was not sure if you need it a positive cashflow property to be able to make it work…..

thanks guys…thanks you so much!

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi Swift

Let’s take the very average residential property and let’s say you buy it. So it now yours and you want to know what to do with it. There are many techniques you could use at this point but let’s just look at two.

Rent it. This is a gross generalisation but in a lot of places in OZ, if you rent it you will turn the property into a negative cash flow (geared) property because it will cost you more to keep it each month than you get in rental return.

A wrap. If you wrap the same property you will turn the property into a cash flow positive investment property.

The above two examples are gross over simplifications and a lot of the pros and cons of each technique are missing but what I’m trying to convey is that it’s what you do with the property that makes it produce positive or negative cash flow.

Sure, when you first look at a property it might have owners who have structured the property as positive or negative. It’s up to you to decide your best investment strategy and decide if you’ll keep it that way or use another technique.

Good luck.

Cheers, Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.