All Topics / Opinionated! / How much do you read?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

To keep educated and on the ball, I try and read 1 to 2 books per month, and attend at least one seminar a year in either a communication, business skills or a property related matter.

How much general reading do others do? Not including work related stuff?

We buy properties in Adelaide. No Agent Fees.
    [email protected]
    INCREASE THE CASH FLOW FROM YOUR INVESTMENT PROPERTIES!
    http://www.renttoownau.com/ http://www.vendorfinanceau.com/

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

I’ve always got a book or two on the go DrX and frequently re-read some of them..

Things are starting to get busy though and I cant see much reading or surfing on sites happening over the next few weeks..

I always do a course or two each year (Last courses were the Cert 4 in Assessing Workplace Training and the new Safety Awareness Training Course for entry to Building Sites)

Redwing

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Same. Always something on the go. I find that I “read” the books that I like and “listen” to the books I know I should read. The car has become a bit of a mobile seminar which is great. Covey,Brain Tracey, Kiyosaki, Dolf and the others all get a fair bit of air time during trips around town or up to Dunedin or Queenstown.

The old invercargill library card gets a good work out. The library also does magazines which is excellent because without paying 10 bucks a pop I can read selected articles in the economists and other publications that have a global focus. NZ and OZ are fantastic places to live and invest in but sometimes our world view can be a bit myopic.

If at an airport I usually pick up a local financial mag (in English as it is the only language I can read) and a few local broadsheet newspapers. Subscribing to a local rag is great due diligence for prospective investors. The net might give you the headlines but a physical copy of the paper is going to give you all the tiny morsels of information that can show you exactly what is going on around town including classified and the private to let section – employment classified etc etc.

Regards,

Don.

cheers

D&L Property Projects Ltd
    Sourcing Quality Investments in New Zealand.Email to receive current deals & New Zealand Information Sheet.
    [email protected]

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of PursefattenerPursefattener
    @pursefattener

Yes I’m a bit like you DL . If we bought every book or magazine going we would spend more than we do on the actual investing .

On average I read around a book a month . Also I find I buy books more when on holiday [biggrin] . Actually , I find it hard to go out of a good book store without anything….

Where do you source all your audio stuff DL ?

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

Overall I love reading, but I read books in spurts.
    Sometimes I really get into reading and become a quiet bookworm; at other times I appear to suffer from bibliophobia.

I get quite annoyed with myself as a reader because I have a pile of books in my book case that I have half-finished reading as well as some wanna-read books.
    I often get a bit bored with a book and then jump to another book which seems more interesting.

I also have the habit of reading several books at the same time depending on where I am in the house. I could have one on the coffee table, one near the kitchen and one on my bedside table and I read in all three during my spare moments.

So quite frankly, my reading habits are a bit of a mess![blush2]

Celivia

Profile photo of Fast LaneFast Lane
    @fast-lane

I read a lot. Sometimes a book a week. I usually have 2 on the go and a waiting list of books to read next. Just bought a couple on the weekend which look really good. They are ‘Success through a Postive Mental Attitude’ by W. Clement Stone and ‘The Power of your Subconcious Mind’ by Joseph Murphy. Good wealth building types of books.

I also read the BRW, API (good to put a face to a name Dr.X, great going! [biggrin]) and the AFR Smart Investor. Plus anything else that crosses my path. One thing though is that I dont read newspapers, just the classifieds when I get my hands on one.

They say the person you’ll end up in 5 years time is related to what you read and who you associate with. Here comes a prosperous future!

Fast Lane- The poster formerly known as g7

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

One of my goals this year is to increase my knowledge so I’m on to book number 6 and very excited about attending the Brisbane Property Masterclass in 2 weeks.
    Mind you who could go past this months edition of API magazine !!

Amanda
    “It is better to be inconspicuously wealthy, than to be ostentatiously poor…”

Profile photo of Colin GowanColin Gowan
    Participant
    @colin-gowan

Usually a book a week however depends on available time.
    Family time must come first.
    And if I am not working I am not earning.
    Than again if I am not working than I am learning.

Next month I will be having a week’s holiday with my family.
    While away I will catch up with 6 months of API magazines and lots of sleep.

On average I spend about 2 hrs a day online, 1& 1/2 hrs with emails the rest with education mostly (this site is a fantastic resource).

Everywhere I go I take a book and one that I have not started yet so that when one is finished the next is right there.
    Never let an opportunity go for education after all I really do need all the advantages I can possibly get in life.

Presently next to my desk are 9 books that I have yet to read, another reason why I don’t go shopping.
    Plus somebody is always sending something via snail mail to me which usually gets resounded to as fast as a snail.
    There is just not enough spare time for me to spend hours quietly reading except when waiting between meetings or contract jobs

Just goes to show how many of us are simular yet so different.
    They say like minds attract, glad I am here with you guys [biggrin].

“Learn from the mistakes of others, you won’t live long enough to make them all yourself” Richard Denny.

Email [email protected].
    Fax new number coming
    Mobile 0425201055.
    For all your CLEANING and GARDENING work.

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

Try and read as much as possible.

Just finished a good book called “Mao’s Last Dancer”. Not related to investing as such but puts a lot in perspective with respect to the opportunities that many take for granted, myself included.

Profile photo of SweetSweet
    @sweet

being a student i find it hard to attend those seminars even though i know i should….i try to read one book a month although it is hard to balance every aspect of uni life with get rich books!

Profile photo of mathewc73mathewc73
    Participant
    @mathewc73

I had a target of reading 1 fiction and 1 educational book per month. Currently averaging 1 book per month in total!

How do you ensure you put into practice what you learn?

Profile photo of ShwingShwing
    Participant
    @shwing

Subscribe to AFR Smart Investor and BRW, and quite often buy API and Your Mortgage mags. Haven’t picked up a book as such in a while, but have read numerous, motivational, property, superannaution and other Investment books. Having recently finished 6 years of uni I’m pretty happy not to be picking up books for a while. Kind of miss Stephen Kings the Dark Tower also.

Mal

Getting out of your comfort zone, can help you become comfortable

Profile photo of Colin GowanColin Gowan
    Participant
    @colin-gowan
    Originally posted by mathewc73:

I had a target of reading 1 fiction and 1 educational book per month. Currently averaging 1 book per month in total!

How do you ensure you put into practice what you learn?

Well mathew73 knowledge is potential power.
    Use it or loose it.
    What you do is up to you and nobody else.

I know the feeling of having knowledge and not knowing how to start to use it.
    It’s kinda like owning a car and not knowing how to drive frustrating.
    Like a snowball at the top of the hill start small and build momentum.
    Most people myself included bight of more than they can chew when they first get started.

Just hang in there, keep reading, as your mind is soaking education up and needs time to reorganise thoughts.
    You see most of our education system is backwards.
    And the generations before us lived in the dark ages.
    There have been whole books written to describe this so I will not add to this.

In time your brain will start to see opportunities.
    And shortly afterwards you will magically start having ideas and you will be left wondering where those great ideas came from.

Then putting into practice is up to you.
    I find telling friends what you are going to do motivates me not to fail.
    It also has the advantage of locating others for the journey ahead.
    Focus on those who help not those who make excuses think about it and you will know the difference.

All the best for the adventure ahead.
    Your friend Colin.[biggrin]

Email [email protected].
    Fax new number coming
    Mobile 0425201055.
    For all your CLEANING and GARDENING work.

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

Thanks for the complements re-API, have to be honest, when they first rang and asked if we wanted to be in it, I told them that I would refer them to other investors I know who have done alot more.

We have alot of things in the pipelines but not much really completed, the journalist, Shane McNally did a great job in writing it up so that ithe profile actually complements what has been achieved to date (instead of focusing on what we yet need to do, which is our attitude at the moment!)

I guess, sometimes you just have to stop and celebrate even the small successes in life [biggrin]

[email protected]

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

PS Glad to see I’m not the only one on this forum adicted to reading! [biggrin]

[email protected]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.