All Topics / Value Adding / does spending $4000.00 on a driveway add value?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of gattagagattaga
    @gattaga

hello
    i was just wondering if spending $4000.00 on a driveway will add in value to a house,and if so how much?
    thankyou

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

i reckon it depends on the actual value of the dwelling before you start.

how much is this place worth? What is the standard that has been set by comparable properties?

cheers

D&L Property Projects Ltd
    Sourcing Quality Investments in New Zealand.Email to receive current deals & New Zealand Information Sheet.
    [email protected]

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of ShwingShwing
    Participant
    @shwing

It really depends on the current accessability to the property.
    If accessability is steep, then yes it can have a hugh impact on the price.
    Check out this property – stick a driveway in and it would sell for more than the asking price. Price has actually dropped 30k over the last couple of weeks. 7-10K on a driveway would be well worth the effort.
    http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?id=102739576&a=qfp&cu=&t=res&q=Go

Mal

Getting out of your comfort zone, can help you become comfortable

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

Yes I also think that adding a drive way is a positive thing. It gives a better street appearance, and will also make it more attractive to tenants.
    It can be a real bummer to be stuck in the mud on rainy days.

Celivia

Profile photo of focusdevelopmentsfocusdevelopments
    @focusdevelopments

of course you need a driveway, would you want to rent a house without one ? (I was going to say or buy, but obviously you did :) )

Cheers Jeff
    http://www.property.focusdevelopments.com.au

Profile photo of lattamlattam
    @lattam

Gattaga didn’t ask if you need a driveway .. the question was about spending money on one!

Profile photo of JarrahJarrah
    @jarrah

Hello gattaga,

if your talking about 4K on prettying up your driveway or repairing it please take it from the horeses mouth, it aint worth that much!

I have worked along side the building industry on and off for 20+ years and one of the biggest scams going ATM is beautification of driveways!

I know for a fact it costs around 10% of your quoted price to beautify your driveway, that means someone is pocketing the other $3600!! And it wont be the aplicator!!

Email me I’ll give you the low down…

“ask and you shall recieve”

Sincerely, Jarrah

++CASH FLOW PROPERTY HUNTER
    (your not hunting if your not hungry)

[email protected]
    Climbing & Consulting
    Arboricultural Services

“be ye angels?”,
    “nay we are but MEN!”

Profile photo of stuck-at-twostuck-at-two
    @stuck-at-two

If the old driveway is cracked and unsightly, then a buyer may use this as leverage to lower the offer. If however the property itself is “as bad as the driveway” then they already know they are in for renovations.

You wont get the money back.

Profile photo of flatoutflatout
    @flatout

Gattaga,

If access is an issue then i would say yes. If the driveway is cracked, unsightly and generally letting the property down and a new driveway would add street appeal then possibly. However, if the driveway is on a par with the rest of the property standard wise then I doubt you’d get your money back. In this case I reckon you’d get more bang for your buck putting the money into new paint, floor coverings etc and improving the actual living space. BTW, check with your local council. We looked into replacing the driveway on an IP (WA) some time ago and the council were prepared to contribute to the cost of the cross-over. Was awhile ago though so things might have changed but worth a phone call.

Flatout

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.