All Topics / Help Needed! / Contract for house in construction

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of SellingSelling
    @selling

Hi All,

I am interested in buying a brand new house. This particular house is still in construction and the details are like this:

Price: $450.000
    Deposit 10% = $45.000 when getting loan approval.

Now, the problem I have with this situation is:
    They (The builder) want to get the 10% now (I already have pre-approval), but there is no date for the house to be finished. So that means that they can finish the house in a month (that is fine), or in 6 months, 1 year etc. and I will be paying interests in $45.000 without enyoing the house.

Any advice, recommendation? should we include something in the contract?

George

Profile photo of HandymanHandyman
    @handyman

George,

Where is the house located, ie what state and city?
    By the sounds of what you are saying you are buying of the plan from a builder, If you need to borrow the deposit aswell I would not buy unless the property was completed, unless you can negotiate another deposit amount, maybe $1000, or an amount that you can afford to put down.

Profile photo of focusdevelopmentsfocusdevelopments
    @focusdevelopments

you can talk to your solicitor about sunrise clauses.

why not negotiate the deposit down ?
    we sell our houses on very little deposit and have not had a problem yet.

The last block of land that I purchased I put down $100.00 and said like it or lump it. They wanted to sell the land so they took my $100.00 and were happy with it.

as you say, by paying such a large deposit you are helping the developer/builder to offset his interest costs which are already factored into the final selling price, which equals more profit for them & more costs for you.

Cheers Jeff
    http://www.property.focusdevelopments.com.au

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Hi Selling,

I’d hesitate to sign an openended contract no matter what the deposit. As you’ve already mentioned you could be waiting for a very long time!
    That would have to be #1 on your list to be changed.

Second, the deposite size really is up to you – what are you comfortable with? Just remember, screwing a developer over (and focusdevelopments should also see this) by paying virtually no deposit makes life hard for every-one.

I’d look at each situation separately and make a judgment call. It is an investment and you’d want to keep your costs down for as long as necessary, but I’d warn against being unreasonable.
    Life has a way of evening the score.

Cheers
    C@34

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to always try something one more time.
    – Thomas Edison

Don’t let reality be the benchmark for your Dreams

Profile photo of focusdevelopmentsfocusdevelopments
    @focusdevelopments

hmm yes i just reread what i wrote.
    I didnt mean screw anyone over, I just meant that you dont have to pay a huge deposit.

also paying a large deposit straight to the seller could cause a problem if you want to get it back. perhaps a solicitors trust account might be a safer option ?

Cheers Jeff
    http://www.property.focusdevelopments.com.au

Profile photo of pmdirectpmdirect
    @pmdirect

I am not to up on QLD contracts but, if you are buying a house and land package with no building contract then you should agree with the builder a deposit, have that deposit held in an interest bearing account held by your solicitor, at settlement this is released and the interest split. Put a sunset clause in the contract, with a performance penalty clause for everyday the builder is over that period.
    If the builder does not except this then you are on your own….

Chris
    [email protected]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.