All Topics / Value Adding / Separate shower recess or more storage?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of tgavin71tgavin71
    @tgavin71

We are currently in the planning stage of a major renovation. It is our PPOR. Even though we do not wish to move any time we still would like to make it as attractive as possible to potential tentants/buyers.
    Our bathroom is very small 2100 x 1810. Using an online bathroom planner we have managed to fit in a vanity, bath/shower combo and toilet.
    We can’t decide whether or not to put a separate shower recess in the laundry with a non see through door for privacy or use the available space for more storage. A second toilet comes off the laundry.
    In your opinion what is more important. Storage or shower and why?

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

For what it is worth, here is my idea.

I would go with the shower in the laundry but only if you can make your laundry look a bit lika a bathroom, ie. our laundry has a front loader under a bench with a ceramic basin and lovely mixer tap which looks classy but is deep enough for handwashing clothes if needed. This cabinet is very nice and was made by the cabinetmaker who made our kitchen. Our laundry is adjacent to our kitchen area and I didn’t want a “daggy” laundry tub setup.

If you can make that room more “second bathroom with a laundry included” as opposed to a “laundry” with a shower included, it could be a much sought after second bathroom.

We had a choice when we renovated of having built-ins in our main bedroom or a separate shower in the adjoining family bathroom. The bathroom is quite a good size but we went with the built-in bedroom (which was a no-brainer in hindsight). However, if I had my time again, I would definitely install a separate shower cubicle if there was room.

Can you add storage anywhere else? Just as a tip, when we had our cabinetmaker fit out our bathroom built-in storage we had him put doors from about waist high up to the ceiling for towells, linen etc. From the waist down we have eight drawers (four each side). With three boys, instead of sorting out who’s socks and undies belong to whom, each drawer is dedicated to socks, undies, swimming gear, boxers for sleeping, toiletries, etc.

I throw all the undies etc in the approproate drawers and the boys grab their own pair after their shower. I absolutely LOVE this idea and would do it again if I moved. It also frees up drawers in their own rooms for storage of their own junk.

Hope this helps, Wylie.

Profile photo of tgavin71tgavin71
    @tgavin71

Great ideas Wylie. I especially liked the idea of making the laundry a second bathroom. Putting the washing machine under the bench is brillant. Does your cabinet have doors? This idea would even give us more storage as well compared to the washing machine sitting next to laundry tub one. Thanks to you we can have both the shower and the storage.

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

Thanks tgavin71. Our laundry is small and we have put in a sliding door to save space. The benchtop is New Guinea Rosewood with an estapol finish. The white ceramic deep sink is cut into this worktop and that part has two doors, just like a kitchen sink cabinet. The other half of the benchtop sits over the top of our front loader so it doesn’t have doors. We could have put them on but they probably would never be closed because I wash most days..

In our previous kitchen we put four full length narrow doors with bi-fold hinges which totally enclosed a front loader with dryer above and a tub and storage in a space no bigger than a large pantry. Our brooms and mop also fit into this space. It was fantastic.

Why don’t you fiddle around with pen and paper and see what you can come up with.

Good luck, Wylie.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.