All Topics / Help Needed! / Fibro cement houses

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of gamaygamay
    Participant
    @gamay

I inspected the house last weekend, asking price is relatively low, basically land value. External walls are fibro cement and the agent told me that most likely fibro means asbestos. The house sits on a big block approx 800 m2.

The area is good and there are plenty of similar houses around, all are occupied.

I also checked rents: can get 8.5% gross return.

Could anyone share experience with fibro (read asbestos) houses?

Regards

Gamay

Profile photo of loulou2loulou2
    @loulou2

Only a problem if you have to disturb the fibro i.e. reno, demolition etc.Cost a lot more for demo as the guys that do it have to be suited up the area enclosed so the dust doesnt get out and disposal at a tip is more ex because it has to be wrapped and burried. And if you decide to do any of it yourself then take every precaution because i know someone who parents did a reno 20yrs ago and she now has asbestos poisoning. so please take care

Profile photo of muldermulder
    @mulder

gamay,

There are different requirements and legislation for the handling of asbestos materials within each state.

NSW for instance – A licesned Asbestos removalist is required where the amount of asbestos equals and exceeds 200m2. Under this amount you are able to remove yourself however it needs to be done in accordance with the OHS Regulation 2001.

Whilst you dont disturbe the asbestos sheeting it is safe and quite durable.
    Disposal is also a bit of problem, some tips take it and others dont.

Regards
    Mulder

Profile photo of gamaygamay
    Participant
    @gamay

Are there any issues in terms of renting the house? Do I have to tell my tenant that there is a potential asbestos exposure? What if the tenant gets poisoned when he crashes the wall after the hot argument with his wife? Are there any legislations that require landlord to take any action to prevent asbestos poisoning (particularly in SA)?

Gamay

Profile photo of marsdenmarsden
    @marsden

It doesn’t make it right but in Canada they are still mining and manufacturing sheeting with asbestos in the make-up. There is a danger but it appears to be low. My understanding is that these homes are safe but avoid working the asbestos by sanding,drilling, and sawing. Water pressure cleaning is also to be avoided. It is probably best to avoid doing a major renovation until the sheeting is removed. While the wallboards and sheets do not present a big worry, I would be very concerned about the loose asbestos insulation that was once used. It is probably safe if left alone but you get the feeling that the dust could be stirred up by the wind. It makes you wonder about a lot of the things used in house construction and I find that I now routinely wear dust masks while working/renovating. MDF and chipboard present a problem as well but the hazards do not receive the same notoriety as fibro. The dangers are not exclusive to fibro so ‘take care out there’!

Profile photo of gamaygamay
    Participant
    @gamay

Marsden,

I know that asbestos is still widely used in many countries as building material and for insulating hot and cold pipes, particularly in power stations and boiler houses.

I also understand the risk associated with asbestos handling.

My question however is in regard to any potential legal liability for the landlord.

Regards

Profile photo of ttmanttman
    @ttman

Gamay,
    I have similair query in another thread, i.e. how do we as property investors can eliminate or reduce the risk of being sued because no insurance companies will cover asbestos claims, I did not have much responses. Just wondering if people put their head in the sand, keep the fingers crossed, wielding a bunch of garlic and hope the greedy lawyers will not come after them when tenant unforetunately acquire an asbestos related illness.
    ttman

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.