All Topics / Help Needed! / Never invest in 1 b/r units

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of gronk007gronk007
    @gronk007

Hi All,

Has anyone heard of this “rule”? A few people have said to me, “don’t get into 1 b/r units” , “don’t get involved in purchasing places with elevators” etc etc.

I live in inner west sydney, and generally looking around the inner west or lower north shore, but a 1 b/r is all i have for capacity/serviceability. The concern I think people have is that its really hard to get decent capital growht out of a 1 b/r apartment.

Not necessarily looking cf + or -, looking for places with good capital growth the next 4-5 years.

Look fwd to everyones thoughts!!

Profile photo of Just LearningJust Learning
    @just-learning

Hi 007,

I have heard that as well. I think it is because a 1 bedder would only appeal to a limited section of the market ie single ppl or couples with no kids. This would apply when you are looking for tennants or down the track when you look to sell. Thinking about it.. if I was in either of those situations, if I could afford it I would prefer 2 bed ie junk room/study/ proverbial “‘doghouse”‘.

Having said that I have a one bedder in a 12 storey building with lift, pool and gym. What that means is higher maintenance ie strata levy’s and a possible nasty one off levy for major unexpected works, if the sinking fund isn’t able to cope.

However I would have thought the lifts and other facilities would add to the buildings appeal to tennants and also a potential buyer when you look to sell.

Like you I’m looking inner (east and beaches) sydney and all I could stretch to is 1 bed. I’m watching the market in those areas and still think prices will fall a bit more, but over the long term I think capital gain will be good

All my opinion of course.

regards,

Paul

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    Originally posted by gronk007:

generally looking around the inner west or lower north shore, but a 1 b/r is all i have for capacity/serviceability.

Hi 007,

Without knowing the full details of your situation it is difficult to comment with a degree of accuracy however if finance matters are your primary stumbling block have you thought of lookig further afield?

Modern technology, increased PI knowledge, cheapish travel etc make owning something somewhere else a little less daunting than it once was.

If you are buying for a PPOR then it may be better in the long run to rent something where you live and buy elsewhere.

Just a different thought.

Derek
    [email protected]
    http://www.pis.theinvestorsclub.com.au
    0409 882 958

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

my sister owns a 1 bed that is across the piazza from a 2 bed that she owns as well. the 1 bed has beaten the 2 bed hands down. the rent difference has proven to be minimal with the occupancy levels of the 1 bed much higher, plus the 1 bed cost a lot less in the first place.

http://www.megapropertygroup.com

INVESTMENT SALES * RENTAL SOLUTIONS * STRATA MANAGEMENT

Profile photo of pmdirectpmdirect
    @pmdirect

The problem with one bed Units in metro NSW is comparable size to value, a lot of lenders may not lend the amount % you may require, and again these type of apartments are in a mix of others, but still have a high portion of outgoings.
    If this is going to be an investment property for you, check out what is available, if you find something, then check out the local agents for rentals that maybe available in that block, that is your competition.
    Then for the same amount $ value that you have found, remembering that your lender may not lend anywhere near what you need, go look out west there is nothing wrong with the outer suburbs, you may get a better return and a better lend.
    Regards Chris

Chris
    02 9654 1001
    0409 306 122
    [email protected]

Profile photo of gronk007gronk007
    @gronk007

Hi Derek,

I have a 2 b/r unit as a PPOR which has approx 77% LVR currently, so I have a budget of around $300,000 to purchase on a unit in Sydney metro. I can either look for a really good 1 b/r unit around lower north shore, or a sturdy 2 b/r around the inner west.

Most 1 b/r’s I can find are renting around the $230-$260…so I dont see that much more added value in getting a 2 b/r that MIGHT rent for $30-$40 extra bucks…

Alot of the 1 b/r units I’ve fancied of late have been around the 55-70sqm range, so hopefully the banks won’t have too much of a problem with those sizes…

Still worried about capital growth though in the next 5 years – if I take on a place around the high 200’s or $300,000 I reckon I need it to be worth $350,000+ in 4-5 years.

Profile photo of dynamic didynamic di
    @dynamic-di

I have owned units and houses. Overall if I had my time over, I would stick with houses. The value is with the land and although the yield is more attractive with units, long term you get bigger gains with houses.

So, you need to consider what you are buying the 1bdr unit for? +CF or CG? I live in the inner west and familiar with price values, meaning you probably are not looking at a +CF proposition. Search wider and compare what else you can buy.

Happy Hunting :)
    Diana

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

I have no idea what the value of the place was, but the wife and I when we were students rented a nice 1 bedroom apartment on the top floor of a 3 storey block in Waratah Ave Randwick. We paid $ 170 p.w. the first yr and $ 175 p.w. the second year. That was back in ’92 and ’93.

We paid our rent on time and kept the place looking nice, never even saw or heard from the agent or the Landlord once in 2 years.

I can vividly remember standing at the counter just around the corner on Belmore Ave at the REA’s office applying for the unit, some 3 minutes after viewing the unit. A man came bursting through the door with a great wad of cash in his sweaty paws claiming that he instantly wanted to take that 1 bed unit around the corner. The girl filling in the application form looked up at me and said “are you sure you want it ?”. I had to slap the full cash amount of the bond and 2 weeks in advance down on the table to make him back off. He was not a happy camper. I wasn’t happy either as I was just about to start the heavy negotiating spiel to try and get the rent down….absolutely no chance of that !!!!

Roll the clock forward two years, when we were packing up to leave after our last exams, the agent called to say she would need access for 1 hour on a Sat. morning from 9 to 10am. A nice couple came up first, walked in through the front door, saw how we had the unit laid out – looked at each other and instantly headed off down the stairs and around the corner to the REA office. The second couple, about 90 seconds later, having passed each other down at the bottom of the stairs, were a mother and son. They had exactly the same reaction. The Mum turned to the son and yelled “Quick – run”.

The wife and I took great pleasure standing on the balcony, eventually joined by a sullen looking mother, watching history repeat itself – the son took off down the stairs frantically sprinting after the first couple. He missed out by about 20 strides or 3 seconds. The mother was not happy.

We were nowhere near into buying property at that stage (23 and virtually penniless after buying the engagement ring), but have never been able to replicate the demand generated by that little 1 bedroom unit.

I can only surmise the Owner is still happy with it.

@just-learning

Apolgies to all non NSW>>Sydney> eastern suburbs, but if your after captial gain in the medium or long term why would you look past the most sought after area in NSW

Profile photo of gronk007gronk007
    @gronk007

Just Learning…

There’s no doubt about the long term capital appreciation in Metro NSW, but there’s always sub sectors within a market, which gets back to my original post… 1b/r on the lower north shore, or a sturdy 2 b/r in the inner western suburbs??

Probably time for me to buy some market data, or keep a very close eye on those areas I was referring to.

My broker says I’m ina position to do it, I wondering if there’s anything else stopping from investing $300,000 in such an apartment – I can only think of my concern about the potential lack of capital appreciation the next 4-5 years in the previously mentioned areas…

Adrian

@just-learning
    Originally posted by gronk007:

Just Learning…

I can only think of my concern about the potential lack of capital appreciation the next 4-5 years in the previously mentioned areas…

Adrian

If you are looking for the “‘correct”‘ answer to that question you won’t find it here or in any expert opinion/data that is published or that you pay for. No one knows the future, its all just opinions – some backed up by research/data, this factor or that factor – some just based on gut feel/local knowledge.

I could post that I think anywhere close to the Sydney CBD is a safe bet for CG over the medium/long term and I’m sure that there would be as many different opinions come back, as there are replies to my post – all backed up with data, examples, past trends, quotes about some experts research into population/housing trends over the next 20 years , etc, etc…… its all here on this forum and other well known PI forums. Att the end of the day, you just have to take all that onboard, analyse it, filter it, educate yourself, gain the confidence to form your own opinion and go for it….. If any one really knew the “right” answer, they wouldn’t be broadcasting it here, they would be busy buying up.

As I said, for me its inner east Sydney, or for that matter any major centres on the NSW coast – especially those close to airports/ university/diverse industries. Lets see how many opinions come back agreeing/disagreeing with me.

regards,

Paul

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.