All Topics / Value Adding / Increasing the height of a colourbond fence

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of tgavin71tgavin71
    @tgavin71

The back boundary fence of our PPOR has a 6 foot heritage green colourbond fence that was installed new in 2001. Our side fences our 4 foot brown colourbond fences which are great for chatting over the fence with our neighbours but not too crash hot when it comes to privacy.
    We have spoken to our neighbours but at this stage they are happy with the fence as it and do not want the cost of installing a new fence when the 4 footer is in good condition. We are prepared to pay for the fence or extension ourselves if need be. Obviously sharing the costs would be the best for us but on the flip side if we pay for it ourselves by rights we should be able to put up whatever we liked within reason.
    I am looking for ideas on how to extend the 4 foot fences up to a 6 foot height. We are considering natural fencing but we are not sure about if it will be able to be attached to colourbond fencing. Also as far as longevity and cost goes would natural fencing be a viable alternative.
    Thanks
    Tan

Profile photo of camdercamder
    Participant
    @camder

Greetings,
    I believe there is an extension available which slots into and fixes to the existing fence, from colorbond suppliers.
    Cheers Len

Profile photo of DDDD
    @dd

Hi Tan

we had a similar problem when the vacant lot behind our house was built on. As it was a gentle slope from front to back, where our fence was, the plans never showed they were raising the land 900 and then putting a really high slab of 300 on top of it. This meant that in total we lost 1.2 of the 2.4 metre height off our fence and privacy at the back. Asked the new owners to raise the fence and they said it was fine as is and they were a little broke as they had just settled on the new house.

Ok, balls in my court. I used treated pine frames and made up 600 high lattice which I painted in mission brown to match the fence. Neighbour stuck his head over and said “my wife doesnt like the colour “as their side fence was that pale “lets get grafittied” colour.

My reply was “tough, if you wanted a say you should have agreed to something sooner”. I got the lattice up and then got potato vine in three ground to top strips on my side of the fence and within 3 months of extra watering and blood and bone, dada!!!! no snoopy neighbours peering through. He also got the hint quickly and planted quick growing trees his side.

We moved 2 years later with beautiful flowering potatoe vine clinching the family sell for us.

Paint the timber with a double coat and the lattice too. Thats a pain but it is very resistent to the weather as it was treated then painted then attached to the colourbond fence with 900 long pine. As we did all of this work ourselves(easy just time consuming) we saved a bundle on the metal lattice that is only 300 high and 5 times the cost.

Hope this helps.

DD

Buyers Agent (Dip Financial Services(FP)
    Don’t sweat the small stuff,and it’s all small stuff!!

Profile photo of mummum
    @mum

DD

You took my answer right out of my mouth.

Other suggestions for vines are passionfruit, jasmine (though don’t ever tell my husband I recommended this as I object to the smell), various natives especially hardenbergias, wisteria (though that is relatively slow growing and deciduous), climbing roses (some of which grow quite quickly although again deciduous). Or, espallier a fruit tree (I did this with a lemon tree for one of my IPs to cover an ugly wall at the back).

Bear in mind that some vines will grow to the top of the trellis and flower there, leaving bare areas underneath. Not a problem for you as the trellis is an extension of the colourbond fence. However, you might not get the full benefit of the flowers and/or fruit if your side is the south side of the fence.

Margaret

Profile photo of tgavin71tgavin71
    @tgavin71

thanks for the replies. The wooden lattice idea sounds great. WIll also ask about colourbond extensions as well. One of neighbours who is in the process of selling his house has put those 6 foot brushwood screens things around this yard using metal fence posts that farmers use (star posts?) to hold it in place. Doesn’t look too bad except for where there is no backing behind it.
    As far as the timber lattice goes is it necessary to paint it. If we are going to put up a screen. I am the worlds worst gardener so planting trees would be a crime against nature at our house.
    Also how do attach them to the fence. Hubby and I are stupid when it comes to this type of thing.
    thanks

Profile photo of DDDD
    @dd

Attaching the posts is easy. Pre drill holes thru the timber and the metal fencing at the right height(place the timber supports against the fence and measure where you need the holes through both) buy a bag of self tapping 75mm or 100 mm metal screws and simply wratchet them in by hand. This is the time consuming part as if you use a drill to wratchet them in they tend to over screw slightly and not give as good a grip.

Then once all the verticle posts are attached to the existing fence simply place the lattice on top of the fence and screw to the supporting timber by self tapping wooden screws(hex heads are best for this.

YES you have to paint. If you dont and the treated pine is weathered by the elements, a nasty grey colour is not what you need. We did the lattice in mission brown to match the fence and the lattice surrounds and the verticle posts in green fence paint, and the contrast looks good and is enhanced by the vines growing over it all. You do need to paint it, please forget this idea if you are going to do half a job.

Buyers Agent (Dip Financial Services(FP)
    Don’t sweat the small stuff,and it’s all small stuff!!

Profile photo of tgavin71tgavin71
    @tgavin71

Thanks DD. I thought this would be the case. As much as we hate the mission brown colour it would be easier just to live with it than to try and paint the colourbond fence green to match the back.

Profile photo of HandymanHandyman
    @handyman

I would just go with the colourbond extensions you can get them in the 2 feet extra that you want to increase the fence, you can also get a kind of lattice extension but in colourbond or a hardiplank type which you can get already painted so you dont have to do anything but just put it up.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.