All Topics / Help Needed! / Landlord Insurance

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of ChoirChoir
    Participant
    @choir

Hi, Guys,

I have recently purchased an IP in the name of an unit trust structure with a corporate trustee.

I would like to seek some comments if I leased out the IP and what shall I do with the landlord insurance policy. Does the bank accept the insurance cover the unit trust / corporate trustee? If the setup of trust structure is to protect the personal asset, do we still need landlord protection to cover the public liabilities?

I would like to receive some feedback on this issue before proceeding with the insurance cover.

Thanks and regards
    Raymond

Profile photo of clonesclones
    Participant
    @clones

The trust structure does not protect any of the assests under the structure. Meaning that if you get sued you can lose you property IP.

The net result is not so much lies, damn lies and statistics but rather vendor dreaming, buyer wishing and agent glossing.

Profile photo of shake-the-diseaseshake-the-disease
    @shake-the-disease

Take out the insurance.

A trust structure is one defensive barrier, don’t think any barrier is fool-proof. Insurance is a cheap and effective additional barrier between you and someone sueing you, and as pointed out, it will protect assets within the trust as well.

Profile photo of ChoirChoir
    Participant
    @choir

Hi, Guys

Thanks for your advice. I understand the importance of taking out an insurance to limit my liabilities.

Do I take out the landlord insurnace to insure myself as a person who does not own the property or the insurance to insure the unit trust which owns the property?

I am rather confused with the party insured under the policy. Please provide any comments. Thanks.

Raymond

Profile photo of shake-the-diseaseshake-the-disease
    @shake-the-disease

I would think the policy has to in the name that appears on the title. The insurance company can confirm though, just give them a call.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.