All Topics / Heads Up! / Financial advisor

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Profile photo of TveiaTveia
    Participant
    @tveia

Can any one recommend me a good financial advisor? from Brisbane Please. One that’s not talking only about Shares, One that’s neutral and good.
    Regards
    Steve

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

don’t know any financial advisors, most are too conservative for me and preach strategies that will keep you poor.

I use a property advisor from NSW.

please email me if you want details

We buy properties in Adelaide. No Agent Fees.
    [email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

I would also be interested in a “neutral” or, better still, “property oriented” adviser.

We last spoke to a financial adviser several years ago. We took great care and chose an adviser who charged by the hour as opposed to fee based. We could only find one in Brisbane (probably many more now, but this is quite a few years ago).

The advisser told us that we were too heavily into propery. He suggested we sell our negatively geared IP, pay off our PPOR and invest the left over $50K into a nice safe property trust or similar product.

As soon as he started talking, our hearts sank. Sure, we would have a house we owned outright and some cash, but it was the opposite of our wants, and he certainly he didn’t read our risk profiles very well.

If we had taken his advice, we would be have had only one house to catch the most recent house price rises and would be kicking ourselves.

Anyone got the name of a Brisbane adviser who actually invests in houses?

Thanks, Wylie.

Profile photo of TveiaTveia
    Participant
    @tveia

Thanks Dr. x and Wylie for your recommendations, I need one in Brisbane to talk to hem in person. Can some other people help
    Regards
    Steve

Steve

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

A lot of Advisers are Salesmen who know the value of a trailing commision, the Industry seems to be trying to clean itself up and I’m sure there are good and maybe even great ones out there..good luck

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of Property WAProperty WA
    @property-wa

Hi Tveia,

I work for an Investment & Property Development firn in WA – not looking for more business but maybe able to help with what too look for.

Amongst all the other important characteristics to look for like experience, self-investment, number of clients (with references) & so on I think Education is a key element..

Obviously a Dip. in Financial Planning but also an Advanced Diploma and even a business degree of some sought to reinforce. I completed my Dip last year and moving into the Advance now – the Dip is just too little by itself and conducted too quick ly in all honesty.

Know its just one of many things to look for but the Dip. on a business card isn’t enough in my opinion.

Profile photo of BattleshipsBattleships
    Participant
    @battleships

Hi
    One you might try is Destiny Financial Solutions which is associated with Margaret Lomas. They certainly have a property focus. Ask for Nigel. I can’t recommend them only because I haven’t used them – Margaret certainly seems to know what she is talking about and backs it up with her actions.
    Cheers
    [biggrin]

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

From memory the Destiny F-Advisers are a Tier 2 advisor with the focus as Battleships says on property.

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of mikeCmikeC
    @mikec

Hey Dr.X

Probably an obvious answer, but what sort of things would you normally discuss with your property advisor?

Thanks
    Mike

Always Ready.

Profile photo of hbhb
    @hb

Hi Wylie and DrX
    both of you are off topic…..
    but, i totally agree with what you say
    Can you imagine if the advisor had told Wylie to buy mining shares
    last 18 months they’ve gone ape

had Wylie taken his 50k and invested
    today it would be worth $270k….in 18 months….
    and only cost him 60 bucks in costs
    plus CGT

Wylie, are shares in your risk profile?

love watching that share graph……
    a bit of a contrast to the property chart????

there are some people who make money…..
    and some that make real money

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia
    Hey Dr.X

Probably an obvious answer, but what sort of things would you normally discuss with your property advisor?

Thanks
    Mike

We run deals past him to make sure we haven’t overlooked something or excluded something in the calculations.

We Discuss new ideas, new projects, different business strategies etc. I think it’s important to have someone looking at something you want to do, he brings in ideas or has opinions that we haven’t thought about. He is not always right, but he does offer something to think about!

I’m the type of person that likes to bounce ideas off other people for a second opinion before I go ahead with it, it has kept me out of trouble on many occassions.

He does NOT tell us what to do! Ie buy a property here or buy these shares etc, advisors like that dont help you prosper, they keep you poor!

We buy properties in Adelaide. No Agent Fees.
    [email protected]
    INCREASE THE CASH FLOW FROM YOUR INVESTMENT PROPERTIES!
    http://www.renttoownau.com/ http://www.vendorfinanceau.com/

@wylie

hb,

I don’t think I was off topic. I don’t know how you work out our $50K would be worth $270K. How do you know we would have chosen “good” shares. I know the news reports say that if you invested $xxx it would be worth $xxx now, but what if you happen to pick a poor performing company, or one that goes bust, or get bad advice.

My risk profile does not include shares. My parents have made their money from houses and shares. They have NEVER lost money from a house but lost $26K in one day after an adviser told them a company they had shares in was okay. They had heard rumours this one was having problems and should have followed their gut instinct and got out then. Instead, they asked their adviser, who told them all was well. Couple of days/weeks later, $26K down the drain.

The only time we bought shares we lost the lot. Luckily we could only scrape $1000 together (20 years ago) or we would have lost more.

I have no problems with others buying shares, but they are not my cup of tea. I cannot paint a share or add a deck. I am too lazy to follow the sharemarket, but I am not too lazy to get out a paintbrush. It comes down to what you are comfortable with.

By the way, hb, the house we bought for $155K (instead of taking the adviser’s advice) was last valued at $530K six years later. It is 5km from the city on 36 perches with development potential. It can only increase in value as more people try to cram into SE Queensland. I’m very glad we didn’t listen to the adviser.

I am sure that if we had put our $50 into shares, they would be worth much more today, but some of the best “blue chip” companies have gone belly up, so how do you pick a company to trust and sleep at night?

I’ll stick to houses.

Cheers, Wylie.

Profile photo of hbhb
    @hb

Wylie….”do you know a good financial advisor in brisbane?”

Diversification…..thats the name of the game

everyone that bought post 1992 is a winner, property has had a great growth cycle….but according the the guru’s at KPMG the next growth cycle is not till 2018…long time to wait.

@wylie

I think the gurus might just be wrong, but in the meantime, someone is paying us good money to live in our houses with the added bonus that they are growing in value, sometimes slowly (and sometimes slipping back a tad, like just recently) but still growing.

I’ve watched at least three property cycles and don’t have any doubts there will be another one, and almost certainly prior to 2018.

Cheers, Wylie.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Wylie,

I am surprised that you feel the need to consult with an advisor.

Given the experience you have had in terms of property cycles I would have imagined that your would be well placed. I wonder what an advisor will add to your situation.

Do not imagine I am having a go at you it is just that I don’t see (reading your posts) a lack of direction or knowledge on your part.

Derek
    [email protected]
    http://www.pis.theinvestorsclub.com.au
    0409 882 958

@wylie

Hi Derek,

Far from being an expert, we are faced with a bit of a quandry. We have just bought and renovated a house backing onto another IP. This gives us 72 perches with two street access and two houses which cannot be moved (character).

We have stretched ourselves and this is heavily negatively geared. We have borrowed extra to allow us time to work out what to do. Our options include –

1. Selling another half share house we have in order to reduce our loan enough to just hold these two back to back houses until we decide what to do with them.

2. Go straight in and get a DA aproval for one house, two houses or perhaps three townhouses.

I would like to keep the half share house, but we need to speak to someone who knows the ballpark figures on our different scenarios because to develop the block would mean borrowing much more than we have already, and the associated risks involved.

Perhaps someone needs to tell us to get the DA and onsell the block to avoid the hassles involved in actually building anything. I want to develop the block, but I don’t want to end up in the loony bin doing it, and it seems that going crazy or going broke are two definite possibilities.

I suppose I am stepping outside my comfort zone.

Since I was 15 I have helped paint, spruce up or renovate over 30 houses with my parents, then my husband. Renovating doesn’t phase me, it is just hot hard work. However, we have never built from scratch and I’m a bit nervous about where to start.

I thought a financial planner who knows property development and the risks could give us some direction.

I read many posts and think we are real tortoises. We are in our mid 40’s and, considering I bought my first house about 25 years ago, I feel sometimes that our net worth just doesn’t reflect the amount of hard work and sweat we have put in over the years.

I’m not complaining, but each time we buy a house I think “this time I will pay someone to paint the house” and each time we don’t have enough money to do it, so we do it ourselves.

I do go through periods of thinking it would be easiest to sell the half share, reduce the IP debt and just cruise for a while.

Sorry to ramble, and I hope I don’t come across as though I know everything, far from it.

Cheers, Wylie

@derek
    Originally posted by Wylie:

Perhaps someone needs to tell us to get the DA and onsell the block to avoid the hassles involved in actually building anything. I want to develop the block, but I don’t want to end up in the loony bin doing it, and it seems that going crazy or going broke are two definite possibilities.

Reading your post it would seem to me that the person you need to speak to is someone who has experience in small development feasibility studies. Someone of this experience will be able to crunch the numbers which in turn will help you make the decision that best suits you.

Since I was 15 I have helped paint, spruce up or renovate over 30 houses with my parents, then my husband. Renovating doesn’t phase me, it is just hot hard work. However, we have never built from scratch and I’m a bit nervous about where to start.

See previous comment

I thought a financial planner who knows property development and the risks could give us some direction.

I wonder if your quandary is partially caused by the fear of the unknown – and therefore crunching the various numbers will help you make a decision. For this reason I recommend you see someone with small development experience.

I read many posts and think we are real tortoises. We are in our mid 40’s and, considering I bought my first house about 25 years ago, I feel sometimes that our net worth just doesn’t reflect the amount of hard work and sweat we have put in over the years.

Just imagine how wealthy you would now be if you had rertained some/all of those 30 properties.

Derek
    [email protected]
    0409 882 958

Profile photo of hbhb
    @hb

Hi Wylie
    Im with you
    wasn’t very successful with shares
    hold over 90% of my investment portfolio in property….
    but have just recently sold a penthouse in noosa heads, i was wondering if the 13 years investment could have done better.

well lets see

bought all up 310k, sold 13 years later $825K in hand, add some income of about $6k a year
    total profit $593k.

I remember at the time being given advice about shares….
    but a unit in noosa is hard to beat….

ok….had i bought the shares in something SAFE like
    Commonwealth Bank…..
    How much would i have made?????
    then they where $7.50 each, thats 41,333 shares multipy by todays value $43.98 makes………

$1,507,840 TODAY plus the dividends

but what the heck…hindsight is wonderful
    and i enjoyed my cheap holidays in noosa

So i now have cash to diversify………
    what does one do?????????

buying property at top of a cycle……i don’t think so

@wylie

Fear of the unknown is exactly what we have. I have spoken to a town planner about our options for this block and his advice was initially to have the blocks surveyed showing house position and services. I plan to get this ball rolling and then we will know what can and cannot be done.

Who should I be seeking advice from? I am happy to pay for advice and guidance, but just don’t know where to start. I have been reading all I can on this and another forum trying to glean information about small developments. I have a very steep learning curve ahead.

I am hoping that, say we put two houses into the back yards, we will have four rental incomes instead of two, and depending on the costs involved in building two houses, we may get away with holding all four. Failing that, we sell one and try to hold three.

The 30 houses I mentioned were not all owned by us (I wish). My parents bought their first IP when I was 15 and since then I have helped them paint/renovate their IPs, their own home, our PPORs and our own IPs. Some of these have been painted a couple of times and over the years, have needed new bathrooms or kitchens or decks. I just mentioned the number because to me, renovating is something we can do in our sleep, but building from scratch is a whole new ball game, and I don’t know any hints or shortcuts, or what to watch out for. And there are lots of stories of people going broke doing small developments. So I don’t think I am so smart that we cannot go broke, and it does make me very wary.

We have only sold two houses in over 20 years, both to clear debts as our life decisions necessitated changes. We have three children, two now in private schools. I am not in the paid workforce. I would have kept both houses if we could, but the choices we made were right at the time and enabled us to reduce our debt and renovate our PPOR to make a comfortable home. Our other options were for me to return to full time work, and of course this is an option for us now, but I don’t want to have our investing choices dictate my direction in life.

While we have a fairly comfortable life, we certainly don’t spend up big but I don’t want my kids to remember having to scrimp and scrape (as we have done many times over many years) just to have some assets at the end. We want to enjoy the journey.

I suppose life is a balancing act and we have to find what is right for us. We have to make some choices this year about which direction we will take.

Cheers, Wylie.

@derek

Hi Wylie,

Sorry I cannot help with a referral to someone who can help with the feasibility stuff. Recommend you post a question in value adding or something different forum.

Derek
    [email protected]
    0409 882 958

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.