All Topics / Creative Investing / Renovation as a career

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Profile photo of salacioussalacious
    @salacious

Hello,

I have not posted for a while and i think the new web outlay is cool.
    I am currently coming up to my long service leave and considering renovating old property for a living. I would like to know any information people might have to start this up. I have all the trade skills necessary but not the nohow or where to begin.Any info would be appreciated.

Dom [biggrin]

Profile photo of ecattecatt
    @ecatt

My opinion is to read as much as you can, and watch some shows on tv which are great… if you have foxtel the lifestyle channel has some excellent shows such as property ladder, grand designs, the million pound property experiment etc and then there are heaps of decorating shows too like changing rooms etc.
    The most important thing with renovating is to have a schedule and a budget and to keep things neutral when decorating… and always be prepared for the unexpected!!!
    Good luck.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Plan the finance side as well. Suddenly giving up your day job can make it harder to qualify for finance.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of salacioussalacious
    @salacious

Thanks for advice guys,

I have been watching with interest a work colleague sell his property buy a large old queenslander and has spent $50000 out of $60000 renovating. He tells me that while working afternoon shift he has spent days working on this reno.He looks worn some days but his normal job is far less demanding. He plans to sell it as soon as he finishes 1(1 to 2 Months). He seems to beleive that he will make inbetween $50000 and $80000 profit. He has spent a great deal of time doing it but he has enjoyed it and plans to do it again.

Its in redcliffe north of brisbane,it has no water views but a very popular area since the boom and is close to water. Will keep updates as they come.

Dom
    [biggrin]

Profile photo of kdhnkdhn
    @kdhn

Hey Salacious .
    Wonder how much of that he would have to pay in tax , anyone know?

Mkc

@salacious

Hi Mkc,

As i understand it he has no tax to pay because it is his PPOR principal place of residence.

Dom[biggrin]

@kdhn

PS
    l’ve often thought about doing reno myself . But my first place was only a very light cosmetic reno , we hardly spent anything either but it was still a hell of allot of work considering . That was a wakeup call to me because neighbours had all done much heavier full on reno’s and everytime l went to their places after working on mine , jesus !
    Work or what !
    l come out of it thinking my profit margin for my really light cosmetic jazz up reno was actually bigger than their heavy duty reno’s margins because they all spent a hell of allot more money and work but l hardly did or spent anything compared .
    Now l wouldn’t touch anything heavy .
    cheers.
    Mkc

@kdhn
    Originally posted by salacious:

Hi Mkc,

As i understand it he has no tax to pay because it is his PPOR principal place of residence.

Dom[biggrin]

Owell yeah if his living in it especially over 12 mths there’s none , atleast l didn’t pay any . l was told if you sell within 6 mths you had to pay $1500 .
    Wonder how much if your not living in it , just a reno investment used as your income ?
    Mkc

@salacious

Mkc,

Do you renovate houses for a living or part time?
    Dom

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

Hey Salacious,

Sounds like you have a lot of fun ahead of you!!

I am in the final stages of getting my builders license and am planning to do the same thing as you. Buy old places and renovate, or renovate for other people.

A few things off the top of my head to consider.

1. Time – this almost always runs away particularly if you are doing everything yourself. If you don’t have an offsider to run to Bunnings to get that one little item, its easy to burn days just stuffing around.
    2. Money – also tends to run away. Do a comprehensive budget and add a bunch as contingency.
    3. Approvals – Depending on where you are and what type of work you are doing, you will probably need Council appovals of some sort. Again, refer to 1 and 2 above. Add frustration!!
    4. Licence and insurance – Again, be mindful that depending on what you are doing, you will need to consider the implications when you go to sell. May need to be an Owner Builder, Builder or not at all depending on what you are doing, which also has knock on effects when you go to sell.
    5. Consideration of what is the current trend of the day and also what is “timeless”. Trendy is good but be mindful of when you go to sell that you may not be narrowing the buyers pool.
    6. Have fun doing it! I love mucking around the house with power tools and building materials and could do it all day everyday, but if you don’t enjoy it, its a lot of very hard work.

I am sure all of the above is commonsense but were some of my considerations.

good luck!

@salacious

Hi jhopper,

How long has it taken for you to get a builders license?
    I am in QLD north of brisbane.Thanks for the tips much appreciated.

Dom

@jhopper

Its a lot easier for me as I am already an Engineer. Just need to get a few references from previous employers, statements of work history, police clearance and fill in forms. In WA, the Licencing board meets once a month so when I get my act together and send them in, it should be fairly quick.

If you have the trade skills as you say, the application is slightly differerent. You need 5 years experience in supervising trades but with a trade background, there may be other ways. Check with the licencing authority in Qld, over here in WA its the Builders Licencing Board. They can send out all the paperwork you need for you to sift through at your leasure.

When you say trades experience, what do you mean?

@salacious

Friend of mine completed a renovation and will have property on market soon.When he originally purchased it it was on the market for 2 and a bit years.It was unhabitable for 4 weeks until he finished inside and then proceeded to renovate outside. He beleives he wil make double the money on renovation costs. Thats great for a few months work and on top of being your own boss!

Dom[biggrin]

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Hi Dom,

I’d classify myself as a bit of a renovator. No, on second thoughts, a bit of a “muck in there and clean up the grot” type of person.

I’m into industrial sheds and the like – wouldn’t go near houses….too much fluffy stuff, plus you’ve got to pay for it, both in time and money.

The tools of the trade for my niche are trucks & bobcats for the big stuff, and rakes, wheelbarrows, brooms, hands and skip bins for the little stuff.

I leave all the fluffy pretty tarting up for the tenant to do, (carpets / paint etc). That way they get what they want and I don’t have to pay for it.

I’m finding it’s reasonably well paid. I find the key to renovations is having toe to toe discussions with potential Lessee’s. This is what really pays off. Going to the bank with a fully installed tenant on a cracking Lease always ups the value. Scoop the equity – go again.

As long as the block and inside of the sheds are clear and clean, I consider that fully renovated…..thankfully so do the prospective tenants.

Good luck with your endeavours.

Profile photo of Beth_AshtonBeth_Ashton
    Participant
    @beth_ashton

Hi All,
    I’m also about to begin putting my spare time into renos in Eastern Geelong (couple of blocks back from Eastern Beach)
    I’m going to be contacting Council for permits and when applying for loan, am also going to have plans drawn up during settlement period to apply for an additional construction loan.
    Going to organise builders to get in there over a few months and relist on the market – hope to make some serious money but also create an amazing construction!
    This is all going through my ABN so that I can get some $$$ to register a Business Name
    I’m going to continue full time work (in Real Estate) for at least the next 18 months, but weekend and leisure time is going to be spent developing property – it’s obviously my passion!
    Dom, is this similar as to what you are considering achieving?

Cheers,
    BM

@salacious

Hi,

Thats sounds like a great buisness Dazzling. Smart way of making a living.I think the most appealing thing for me is to be my own boss.

BM, Yep something along those lines would be good, just a bit nervous about leaving my job after ten years to pursue a new career.
    The reno king videos are fascinating to watch but they do make it look very simple. I have been out looking at houses last couple of weeks and have found an abundent of opportunities. So i have pre approved finance and will buy something hopefully in the next month or two. If anyone has similar reno stories would be glad to hear them.

Dom [biggrin]

Profile photo of learnsharelearnshare
    @learnshare

Hi Dom,
    Watch out for Martin Ayles’s next seminar or book on renovation/development in the near future (if there will be any). What a pity seats for his coming workshop in 3/3/06 have sold out.

Cheers,

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Hi Dom,

Yeah, that is pretty much what I spent 50% of my time doing eiter hands on or for others through the project management side of it.

It’s like anything. Some jobs come together easily and others for what ever reason just don’t want to get done.

Terry is right. Get all the finance ready to go before you give up you day job. At the moment for my own houses I use no doc products but this means I have to put in a 35% deposit and the institution is a bit fusy about the type of property.

I have just finished one (yesterday) and had it dressed for sale by a wonderful local person who has much better taste and furniture than I have. I turned out muc better than I had thought.

Couple of things: You are making a product for sale so you really need to get in tune with what is and is not selling. This is different for every area and every street. You have a distinct advantage over a developer as there is virtually no lag time between planning and product delivery.

You could have ajob done in 4 to 6 weeks depending on how many hours you are prepared to put in.

Doing it full time is great but don’t fall into the trap of thinking that you have to do everything yourself and then again if others do everything for you then I don’t see much profit left you at then end of the project.

These project need momentum so make sure that every day if it is not you that someone is there doing something. I find that as soon as a house goes quite it takes a while getting things started again.

If there is local casual labour available use it. Contract out all the difficult work. Even if you have a trade skill try anf find someone that you can get along with to work alongside you in your field. Don’t attempt things that you can’t do. Learn in your rental don’t learn on a product that is heading for buyers.

I suppose what I am getting at is that it is better for you to turn over more homes than trying to squeeze every penny out of each house.

One more: Don’t make it the best house is the street. Make it the second best house. Almost as good and 10% cheaper will gaurantee and almost immediate sale and you can move on the the next project. Location and bones are the key. Give the buyer a slightly cheaper product still of the category they want.

We did our last job in 34 days ( have some pics if you like) and really only had half a day off in the middle there. So get help, get others involved and be realistic. The quicker you get the product to market the higher the chance that the market is still the same.

While we were doing that job I had people in another project of ours doing structure work that I won’t go near.

Keep your site clean, tools and valuable looked away and stay out of the way of the pros. Keep the momentum going.

Regards,

Don

D&L Property Projects Ltd
    Sourcing Quality Investments in New Zealand.Email to receive current deals & New Zealand Information Sheet.
    [email protected]

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

@jhopper

Hey Don,

Some sage words of advice there and am impressed with your achievements! Would love to see the photos if available!!

Am extremely keen to start the same thing and am all planned but the first step is the hardest. How did you take the plunge and quit your day job? How much of a buffer did you have in terms of equity /cash if you don’t mind me asking?

Jan

Profile photo of learnsharelearnshare
    @learnshare

Hi Don,
    Those are good tips and advices for the beginners like me.
    Thanks for sharing with us.

Cheers,

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.