All Topics / Overseas Deals / who investing in the islands not inc nz

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of grossrealisationgrossrealisation
    @grossrealisation

hi all
    who investing in the islands not nz ie fiji, new cal, samoa,western samoa, tonga,vanuatu, or some where like timor,
    I am interested in returns in these islands as some are doing very good returns and a couple are returns and tax havens.
    who knows what and whats out there.
    very interested in alternative investments

here to help
    If you want to get involved in some of the projects I’m involved in email to [email protected]

Profile photo of MortgagemanMortgageman
    Participant
    @mortgageman

I don’t know about most of those locations but I wouldn’t be investing in Fiji at the moment. Big chance of another coup happening soon and the government has put up a travel warning.

Regards,

Cameron Perry
    Finance Consultant
    F.R. Perry & Associates
    Level 13, 30 Collins St
    Melbourne VIC 3000
    Ph (03) 9662 1999
    Fax (03) 9662 2044

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Hi,

Not alot of freehold land available in these areas. I’m pretty sure tonga and a few of the others you must have a family connection to the island.

Every few months it seems that someone in the media makes comment about plans for a pacific passport . Possible impact would be population drain from rural areas on some of the islands.

Would love to here from someone who is doing it.

cheers

D&L Property Projects Ltd
    Sourcing Investments that fit.
    [email protected]
    Email to receive current deals &
    New Zealand Information Sheet
    http://www.nzproperty.org

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of grossrealisationgrossrealisation
    @grossrealisation

hi DLPP
    I wasn’t just looking at the main countries but it interesting that you mention coup as last time i was in fiji I was having a berr with a very unhappy elerly gentalman after the rambuka coup and after a couple of beers and a long chat it was the president he just kicked out, (in the islands they are very freindly)he was laughing by the end that I was not worried and I said you always need trade and you need traders to come in coup come and they go its apart of island life you won’t find any business that has lost its business( apart from timor but that indonesia problems) because of a coup.
    I interested hows investing in crown and freehold land there are alot of crown land deals that are very profitable

here to help
    If you want to get involved in some of the projects I’m involved in email to [email protected]

Profile photo of andrewlsummerandrewlsummer
    Participant
    @andrewlsummer

There are great opportunities in the South Pacific and this can only get better as the global population expands and those islands resources (like commercial property) increases in demand.

Of course, the most important thing to do anywhere is carry out thorough due diligence, even if it's private property to make sure nothing is hanging over the property (mortgage, risk, etc.)  And then a valuation – you might need to go to several agents and don't forget to go to the government agencies too, Land & surveys, etc.

At the moment there are great properties in Tonga, for example, like this commercial building http://www.propertytonga.com/commercial-properties.html  and  http://www.propertytonga.com/house-and-land-packages.html  Note the building there returns $17,000 plus a month and it's only a 3 to 4 hour flight from Sydney and Auckland.  So these places are right under our noses, so to speak and do earn good returns when foreign entities are concerned.

Profile photo of Ziv Nakajima-MagenZiv Nakajima-Magen
    Participant
    @zmagen

Just out of interest- what sort of DD would protect you from corrupt officials who decide to take your property for their own, for instance? Or are you saying this never happens in the island nations?

Ziv Nakajima-Magen | Nippon Tradings International (NTI)
    http://www.nippontradings.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Participant
    @andrewlsummer

Hi Ziv,

Of course this depends on the country and some places seem so corrupt you wouldn't want to arrive at their airport let alone purchase property there.  My experience in Fiji and Tonga is that property investment is free of the particularly problem you mention, however the exception is that one property could be sub-leased and then sub-leased again and the person at the end who thinks they are getting something actually gets nothing.

So basically you need to check with the local banks that they have nothing on the property.  Then check with Lands & Surveys to see who the property is registered to, to make sure you are dealing with the correct party.  A lawyer can handle this for you and more.  Then it's just asking the local established expats who they dealt with and how they managed to guarantee their piece of paradise.  For example I know there are plenty of guys from the States doing well in Vava'u Tonga running their own tourism operations or resorts without a hitch in these regards and because they have done their 'due diligence'. 

:) A.

Profile photo of Ziv Nakajima-MagenZiv Nakajima-Magen
    Participant
    @zmagen

Living in close proximity to and running a resort is miles apart from purchasing and trying to profit on property from another country. I'm glad to hear your experience is positive, but at least for Fiji, I know of quite a few individuals who fared much worse than what you're describing, due diligence and all. Research is only good if the country and it's officials have a concrete policy that doesn't fluctuate with every wind of change. The countries you describe are far from it. While there's indeed great opportunity there, I hardly believe its a safe course of action for someone who doesn't live and breathe the local lore on a daily basis. Frontier markets are fine for those who know what they're getting into, but trying to sell them as established economical environments is bordering on deception. It's like me trying to promise my clients capital gain in Japan. I'd be a liar if I tried to claim that with any degree of certainty.

I could be completely wrong, of course. :)

Ziv Nakajima-Magen | Nippon Tradings International (NTI)
    http://www.nippontradings.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Participant
    @andrewlsummer

For sure, and I agree with you Ziv.  Actually I didn't know FIji was so bad now, but you're right, it is a balance of doing a thorough and (locally) educated DD, getting to know the culture (i.e. not be completely naive), understand the local law, and using the experience of those who have been and continue to be successful.  There is also property management as a solution too.  I think a point to keep in mind is that nowhere is safe – there is always risk, like with the GFC (your funds evaporate) or when your multi-national corporation goes bust and leaves you with a broken contract/empty building, leaving you with nothing in the hand. But it's great that people have a sense of adventure too and develop and invest overseas.

Profile photo of KnoxOffKnoxOff
    Participant
    @knoxoff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g5kFi-_zcw

bring  you money to these  islands  and you  may well be leaving  it there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5g5kFi-_zcw#t=835s

the locals will let you stay  as long as they want ,   then they will  send you packing

THIS  IS YOUR ! LOSS

Vava u  tonga  is a  special  island  ,  i have been there

at the moment the land is cheap

whale watching  is the latest  tourist  attraction there

its also  a  popular  yatchies  spot

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.