All Topics / Value Adding / Anyone doing renovation jobs in Melb ?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of Property PassionProperty Passion
    @property-passion

Hi all,

just wondering if anyone is doing any reno jobs here in Melbourne? Do you lot think that the time is right to make money using this type of strategy ?

Does anyone have some tips on what works and what doesnt ? I was thinking about buying an apartment/house in a trendy area and giving it a great facelift.

Money to be made, or is it the just the wrong time? Something else comes to mind, how do people over come the intrest, stampduty, cap gains selling fees and income taxes that they will incur using this tactic? I just cant work it out, and doubt that it really works.

someone prove me wrong. Is there a way ?

“It’s not how much money you make, It’s how you spend it that matters.”

Aspiring property developer

Giulio Taranto

Profile photo of Beth_AshtonBeth_Ashton
    Participant
    @beth_ashton

Hi Guilio,

I’m in the same boat – about to start investing in Eastern Geelong (along the beach) in 2 bedroom Victorians and applying for construction loans to extend into 3/4 bedrooms and resell.

Speak to your financier about construction loans or I’m sure there are other members who have experience in this type of development!

My strategy is once I’ve got a deposit I’ll take out an A.B.N and put all my renovations/developments through the business to retain some tax money :)

If there is any1 else who can suggest different strategies / tactics to with-holding some profits, I’d also be keen to find out where to go with this next!

Regards,

Beth MacLeod

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney

Its very difficult to make money out of renovations if you intent to sell your property, but there is lots of money to be made if you buy, renovate and refinance.
    We’ve been involved in 8 of these in the last 6 months and they work ” gangbusters”.

Have a look at this article:
    http://www.propertyupdate.com.au/articles/35/1/Buy%2C-renovate-and-refinance

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.PropertyUpdate.com.au

Profile photo of hbhb
    @hb

hi Giulio

what are you talking about

of course you can make money

just recently the reno sisters on channel 7’s “hot properties”, spent 2 years renovating, and after all costs,
    made a whooping $20,000

$20,000 profit
    2 years
    4 people working on it
    that’s $5,000 each for 2 years
    that’s $2,500 each a year
    thats $48 a week
    thats $1.02 an hour……………

i know what your saying Giulio
    MAC’s is paying more that that

but not a much fun hey…….
    up to your knees in plaster dust

those guys don’t know what their missing….in those neat, clean little uniforms with the big M on it……..

renovating….their’s money to be made…..and its fun….every weekend……

sorry…been sniffing to much plaster dust, anyone got some turps to wash it down…………

hb

Profile photo of Property PassionProperty Passion
    @property-passion

hahaha these are exactly my thoughts most of the time when watching these shows, makes me laugh.

“It’s not how much money you make, It’s how you spend it that matters.”

Aspiring property developer

Giulio Taranto

Profile photo of Rookie DeveloperRookie Developer
    @rookie-developer

hb
    check the lead in your pencil & repeat after me
    “TV is not real”
    “TV is not real”

Profile photo of hbhb
    @hb

Hi troynbec

sorry taking so long to reply…..
    watching far to much TV

how the renovating going????
    you know ..the BUY,RENO,SELL stuff…….
    made your first 1 mil yet????

do you remember me mentioning ..the builder..the tax accountant…and the investor…doing their 1st B_R_S project…
    in brighton east….not a bad suburb.

guess what…they’ve just sold it

12 months…..a few delays along the way….you know the stuff….

buy $520k sell $730k……what a profit…..[biggrin]

ophhs….after costs …you know..in costs..reno costs…out costs….total costs …$690k[angry2]

total profit $40k…between 3 guys….12 months
    could be less as they’ve still got 3 months before settlement..(interest costs)…..

ahhh …the joys of BRS

they said their’ve learnt a few things from their first one…..they think they might try again…..

i suggested a job at Macca’s…..at least they can get a cheap meal….
    and probably make more money

anyway……troynbec….those guys had no idea…
    image a tax accountant thinking he can make money out of BRS!!
    and a builder with 30 years experience going in for the ride!!!!

so hows your project going????

hb

Profile photo of fatmanfatman
    @fatman

So hb, you seem to be the expert on not doing renovations???

Whats your beef.

There sure is money to be made in doing renovations. And yep I think you have been watching too much TV as it has warped your mind.

[baaa]

TV is life, but they have not showed all examples of every renovation done in Australia, have they??? Maybe I just missed the last 10 years of lifestyle TV??

Why do people continue to do renovations on INVESTMENT properties?? You know, the ones you buy renovate and let out or refinance into purchasing further properties due to increased equity!! Because on the RIGHT property, there is good money to be made, the wrong property, yep they may B/E or not make any $$, agreed.

Investment properties are a bit different to your PPOR. Investment properties, get in, spend at max 5 – 10% of purchase price and get reno done ASAP.
    Whereas PPOR, you tend to take more time as it will not produce cashflow or returns as it is your PPOR, hence the 2 years that your beloved TV show took perhaps?

See the difference?

I leave that to you to think about.

FATMAN :-)

Profile photo of as41as41
    Participant
    @as41

I am currently doing a reno in outer melb. area. I am interested in the frefinance option for a buy-reno-hold strategy but am a bit “dumb” in that area….Can anyone spell out how this works in real life…. even if I refinance the loan (due to increased house value) and use it as a deposit. I will have to pay that back through the new laon structure anyway right? HOw does it all work?[inlove]

Snowflake

Profile photo of kattankattan
    @kattan

FM,
    hb is right. Buy-Reno-Keep will provide u with better figures [on paper] than BRS. the transfer just kills the numbers.
    Anyway the bottomline is that u make your money when u buy.
    u will have a great reno outcome if u had done ur due diligence [expected price after Reno, cost of Reno, Transaction Costs buy/sell, and your projected profit].
    Once we have bought the rest of the journey is just trying to cover up for any mistakes in our assessment.
    if none we may actually see that profit!!

Kattan

Originally posted by fatman:

So hb, you seem to be the expert on not doing renovations???

Whats your beef.

There sure is money to be made in doing renovations. And yep I think you have been watching too much TV as it has warped your mind.

[baaa]

TV is life, but they have not showed all examples of every renovation done in Australia, have they??? Maybe I just missed the last 10 years of lifestyle TV??

Why do people continue to do renovations on INVESTMENT properties?? You know, the ones you buy renovate and let out or refinance into purchasing further properties due to increased equity!! Because on the RIGHT property, there is good money to be made, the wrong property, yep they may B/E or not make any $$, agreed.

Investment properties are a bit different to your PPOR. Investment properties, get in, spend at max 5 – 10% of purchase price and get reno done ASAP.
    Whereas PPOR, you tend to take more time as it will not produce cashflow or returns as it is your PPOR, hence the 2 years that your beloved TV show took perhaps?

See the difference?

I leave that to you to think about.

Profile photo of fatmanfatman
    @fatman

kattan,

I agree with you totally, just did not agree with all of what hb said, he/ she was making it out as though doing any renovations would not make money, well thats the way I took it, and I do not agree with thta, thats all.

But each to their own!!

Profile photo of Monty666Monty666
    Participant
    @monty666

hb

what is your point about the tax accountant and builder …. are you suggesting they are they experts in reno’s ??? What was their goal ??? Was it to pour as much money into it as possible to reduce tax ??. Did the builder build on emotion to make the best reno in the area no matter what the cost??

Everyone’s goals are different and it is not neccessarily to make a million bucks in a year.

Profile photo of HousemenderHousemender
    @housemender

Hi all

Yes we’re in Melbourne and are renovating (as usual) but not to sell. Our latest project is two houses in Warburton on a lovely flat are block in great position, which we paid $220K for. One of the houses comes complete with long term tenant and the other house is in need of major repairs. So we’re doing up that second house and once we rent it we will very nearly have it +CF. We’re hoping that the two new big resorts get built as planned which will be good for capital growth.

We buy almost everything for our renovations on the “cheap” – just got new windows from the auction house in Cheltenham and we scour the wreckers yards for stuff. Kitchens come from Ikea and we use our credit card points for Bunnings vouchers which come in very handy. If you pay full retail for stuff it can cost a fortune and erodes profits. This can be OK for your PPR but not for a rental.

Talking of the PPR that always seems to take second priority, but slowly and surely its getting there. since last week we have had an indoor toilet[biggrin][biggrin] Funny how the rentals and tenants always seem to come first. On well, one day…..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.