All Topics / Value Adding / How to cover an ugly fence?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of Property WAProperty WA
    @property-wa

Hi,

Anyone have any ideas to cover the old grey-asbetos fence? And/or any thoughts on how to cover the side of a pretty old and grey shed?

Besides paint Ive thought about the wooden sleights you can hang (Bali style) but not sure about the costs and so forth?

Profile photo of jesse010jesse010
    @jesse010

Not sure about the fence, but we concealed the side of an old shed by concreting 3 wooden posts (as high as shed) into the ground then screwing lattice into the posts. You could then plant a climbing plant at the bottom to add some colour, but the lattice on it’s own looks quite good.

Profile photo of Property WAProperty WA
    @property-wa

Hey Jesse010,

Thanks for the reply.

That sounds like just what im looking for. What type of costs were involved? Type of thing that could be done in a weekend?

Profile photo of fernfurnfernfurn
    @fernfurn

For the old shed, you will be stunned how good a coat of paint makes it look, then cover it with a beautful fast growing flowering creeper. Be careful with the fence, it it was palings I would screw something like mini orb to it, but do not do this with asbestos. Maybe it would be cheaper to pull it down and just replace with a new paling fence. If not, again paint will work wonders and will seal the asbestos too.

Fern

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

Have similar at my place and have two things at different areas. Firstly, paint does come up surprisingly well. Would get your hands on a spray gun though as paintbrushes take ages and rollers don’t work. Secondly, we screwed reed style sheets to the fence in a smaller courtyard area which looks good. Bought it from a cheapie shop but can get it from Bunnings, WA Slavage etc. Works out relatively cheap and very quick to install.

Only concern would be if you are screwing directly to aesbestos due to the obvious health concerns!! I built a frame in front which was pretty simple.

@property-wa

Thankyou for the posts fernfurn & jhopper,

This forum never ceases to amaze me with the wealth of information you can draw from others experiences.

I think Im going to go the combination approach. Paint the asbetos fence and shed (to act as a sealant as suggested fernfurn) and then have a look at the lattice or reads infront secured by wooden or rust-proof metallic pools.

Thankyou again for your suggestions and the extra help on ‘how-to’ implement, as I would have probably gone and drilled through the fence without giving thought to the health consequences!

Really appreciated..will try and now put all your info to good use.

Profile photo of ecattecatt
    @ecatt

Another idea, depending on how exposed to the elements the fence is, but you could get some of that cheap bamboo matting. It is sold at most hardware stores, is really cheap, yet looks modern and effective. We put some up and it has lasted about 18 months, but probably needs replacing now. Its still cheaper than painting though….

Profile photo of ecattecatt
    @ecatt
    @property-wa

Thanks Ecatt!

Had some ideas of what that type of bambood/read natural fencing would look like but that articles fantastic!

Thanks a heap.

Profile photo of jesse010jesse010
    @jesse010
    Originally posted by Property WA:

Hey Jesse010,

Thanks for the reply.

That sounds like just what im looking for. What type of costs were involved? Type of thing that could be done in a weekend?

Sorry, haven’t replied earlier… Definately a weekend job – although depending on the weather and the type of concrete you use, it would only take a day. Can’t remember exact costs but somewhere around $200 I think. Good luck with it. You would be surprised at the difference it will make.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.