All Topics / Value Adding / Floating Floor and Benchtops

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

We have just bought a Queenslander with closed in front verandah which is the entry/sleepout and third bedroom. Once we pulled up the fake grass and layers of lino, we were faced with the dilemma of what to replace it with. We finally decided to buy “fake timber” floating floor at $20pm plus $5pm underlay. It was our cheapest option and looks fantastic (10 year warranty).

My reason for posting this is to give others the tip that we bought extra floating floor to glue on to the benchtops. They had been covered with red patterned laminate and had also given us a headache about what to do. The laminate was worn in spots and was pulling an otherwise refreshed kitchen down.

The floating floor laminate looks great. We edged it with some unpainted (but oiled by us) timber strips and it will last for long enough until we replace the kitchen.

It tooks us weeks to reach these decisions, because it all went in the “too hard” basket until we just had to start thinking outside the square.

I thought timber flooring would maybe look a bit daggy (or strange) but it has really come up looking great.

Wylie.

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

Hey Wylie,

Intersting use of laminate flooring!! We have it on our floor and is great in terms of scratch resistance and cleaning as we have two large dogs.

Question though with respect to kitchen benches. How does it go with water? We have it on our kitchen floor and have a couple of minor trouble spots where water has got between the grooves and has lifted slightly. What is the kitchen bench like as you will get it wet? Have you coated it with something? Really just curious as it can have problems with water as it isn’t solid timber.

cheers

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Hi Guys,

In one of my rentals in the hunter valley we fitted hardwood floor boards as a bench top. The nails are concelled in the tongue and groove. The edge was routered and finished with polyurethain? . Looks great and the beauty is that any rough treatment can be sanded out in between tenants.

Thanks wylie – keep the tips comming. There is always something interesting and new on this forum.

Cheers

D&L Property Projects Ltd
    Sourcing Investments that fit.
    [email protected]
    Email to receive current deals &
    New Zealand Information Sheet
    http://www.nzproperty.org

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

To be truthful, we don’t know how it will stand up to water. We have sealed the wall edges and sink edges with waterproof filler but water sitting on the actual bench will possibly mean it will lift.

However, if we need to we could replace the whole benchtop section for very little cost. We will watch and see how it goes. This kitchen will probably only last a few years. It could probably last another 50 years but I’d like to replace it before too long with a new (or second hand) kitchen to get better rent.

In the meantime, the floating floar totally transformed it and it actually looks good enough for me to use, which is how I judge the finish in a house we are offering for rent. If I cringe at something, I figure most people will too.

I’ll certainly post any problems if we have them, because I’d hate to suggest something which turns out to be a dud.

Wylie..

Profile photo of ecattecatt
    @ecatt

Hi Wylie… have you got any photos you could email me to have a look at? I cant imagine it

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

Hi ecatt. If you send me a private message with your email address I would be happy to send some photos.

Thanks, Wylie.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.