All Topics / Finance / Using equity to purchase property’s

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Profile photo of minidazminidaz
    @minidaz

Hello fellow investor’s
    I wanted to take this time to raise a question to property investor’s who have used their equity to purchase property. I am just about to begin investing and have structered our finance to utilise the equity we have in our existing property. But at this stage we are trying to get our heads around the fact we are borrowing more money to use as deposit’s on houses. The question i have is that now we will have to seperate loans 1 for our current property and a second for the deposit’s then a third for the other 80% how do investors cover the interest on the second loan for the deposit’s? In other words if we have to use the profit’s we make it seems pointless to borrow the money for deposit’s. Anyone have any ideas? Mr McKnight if you do monitor this forum are we looking at this the right way?

Thankyou
    Darren Hall

Profile photo of jjaausjjaaus
    @jjaaus

Hi Darren,

I am a little lost with your questions..??

If your current property is worth $300k and you owe $200k then your equity is $100k. If you are looking to purchase another property worth $200k then you need $40k as a deposit. You would then borrow the full amount for your new purchase $200k, the bank uses your equity as security over your new purchase. Your position would then be

Bank Assests : $300k + $200k less 20% = $460k
    Mortgage : $400k
    Equity remaining : $60k

In the above example, if you had $100k in equity you could purchase a property to the value of $500k and use the entire $100k you have in equity ie $500k @ 20% needed for a deposit = $100k. Keep in mind the bank will still look at your ability to service the entire debt.

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Jeff Aquilina

Need a holiday? http://www.coralsearesort.com email me [email protected] 20% DISCOUNT for PropertyInvesting.com members

Profile photo of minidazminidaz
    @minidaz

Ok,
    Maybe i have not quite explained myself properly.
    What i am trying to get at is we currently have a mortgage of 190K say, the property is valued at 340K with our service abilty we can utilze 90k on an interest only loan. The loan allows us to use the 90k at any time without paying interest until we do purchase a property. Now we will have 2 loans were interest is payed on both. Once we purchase the investment property we will need to borrow the other 80% which will give us a third loan. As we will now be charged interst on the 2nd loan for the deposit from what i can see the proprty now has to cover the interest on both the 2nd and 3rd loans? I guess what i am trying to find out is how investors account for this as if i had saved cash for the deposit i would not have the 2nd interest charge to consider?

Darren Hall

@jjaaus

Hi Darren,

Sorry still don’t follow [hmm] maybe one of the more senior forum ppl could advise.

From what I can see you have $150k in equity. Have you taken into consideration the potential rent that can be used to improve your sercice ability position?

I would suggest you dont use the $90k loan it sounds like a redraw of equity loan, just obtain a loan for 100% of the cost of the new purchase and have the bank use the $150k or at the very least the $90k they have approved as equity. If you have enough equity and can service the new debt you can also borrow 100% + costs and not touch a cent of your own money……I have done this in the past.

If your on msn add me [email protected] and we can discuss some more……

Cheers

Jeff Aquilina

Need a holiday? http://www.coralsearesort.com email me [email protected] 20% DISCOUNT for PropertyInvesting.com members

Profile photo of minidazminidaz
    @minidaz

Hello JJhaus,
    What is the advantage of loaning 100% + cost’s? wont this cost you more over the longterm because you have to pay mortgage insurance?

Profile photo of benderfilebenderfile
    Participant
    @benderfile

hi minidaz,
    i am doing something similar eg using funds made available by equity in property for investing.

however i intend to only invest in cashflow property so the burden is way less and i can hold over time.

cheerz

[blush2]

@jjaaus

if you have enough equity then LMI is not required, u also have more to claim as costs ie higher interest due to 100% + costs

if the deal is cash flow + then all it good

Jeff Aquilina

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Hi Darren

Yes you will have to cover the interest on both investment loans and the home loan. You could possibly do this from rental income (if the yield is high enough) or more likely, from other income (ie negative gear).

If you had the cash, you would have less interest. But from a taxation point of view, if you had the cash, you would be better off paying it into your home loan – non deductible debt.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

Hi Darren,

I think you would find this easier to get your mind around the situation if you only seperate your debts into Home Loan debt and Investment debt, whether you investment debt is one or more loans doesn’t really matter in terms of the cost.

The home loan debts will cost you considerably more than the investment debt, because it is not tax deductable. When you purchase the IP, your total debt will be the same whether you borrow all of the costs or put some cash into it, as cash you put into the IP is cash that you can’t put into the non-deductable home loan. If you undertand this you will understand why it makes no sense to put any cash into the IP.

Regards
    Alistair

Profile photo of phillhill21phillhill21
    @phillhill21

Hi All,
    I have been following this disscusion with great interest as i am new to investments and this type of forum.
    I have just brought two IP’S using the equity in my owner occupied place, without having to get a separate deposit loan.
    I may have been lucky to get away with this because i was under a certain limit i don’t know.
    But my thoughts would be that if you had to get a separate deposit loan you may be aiming to high to soon.

phil

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Phil,

It sounds as if your lenders have cross collateralised all of your security to the eyeballs.

Derek
    [email protected]
    http://www.pis.theinvestorsclub.com.au
    0409 882 958

Profile photo of grossrealisationgrossrealisation
    @grossrealisation

hi all
    a couple of things
    1.minidaz I think you need to go to a couple of investor meetings to get around the investment debt and personal debt they are not the same by far.
    2. have a read of acouple of posts within the last 2 weeks woth regard to deposits and leveraging the question you are asking is how do you leverage from one property to the next and it depends on the structure you are using.
    3. that takes me to phillhill21 you must make sure that your stucture is right and that each loan is not cross collateralised which if you have not asked a broker to do so will be as banks love it.
    4.I can if required explain leveraging but its alot better if you try and research yourself and go to a investor group in your cap city.
    it is not hard to understand when its explained but I haven’t done 1500 word essays since I was at school which was a long time ago
    as for you original question I use equity on each and every deal so yes it is used alot and is very common.

here to help
    If you want to get involved in some of the projects I’m involved in email to [email protected]

Profile photo of danandangdanandang
    @danandang

minidaz
    Definately have the investment properties in a different loans to your principle place of residence. The deposit amounts will be added to the loan against your existing ownerships. I guess you can account for this and that section of your loan can be dedicated through your accountant for investment property purposes. All a bit messy but should still work.

I am equity based also. I have not taken into consideration at all the deposits I have gained against the equity of the ones I own. Perhaps I should…

Profile photo of pyramidpyramid
    Participant
    @pyramid
    Originally posted by minidaz:

The question i have is that now we will have to seperate loans 1 for our current property and a second for the deposit’s then a third for the other 80% how do investors cover the interest on the second loan for the deposit’s? In other words if we have to use the profit’s we make it seems pointless to borrow the money for deposit’s.

Hi Darren
    We have long used equity to build a property portfolio. 3 separate loans to fund an investment property and your own residence make perfect sense. It’s all about “good” debts and “bad” debts.
    1) Your home mortgage is a “bad” debt. There are no direct tax incentives except CGT exemption. So pay it off ASAP.
    2) Use the equity in your home to negotiate a Line of Credit. Could be interest only. This is a “good” debt as long as you spend it on an appreciating asset. Use this to fund your 20% deposit plus any closing costs to purchase your IP. Interest on this loan is claimable as an expense on the rental income.
    3) Get a new mortgage for the balance 80% on the IP. Again, this is a “good” debt and could be interest only as you can claim the expense.

The trick then is to negatively gear the IP and pay off your home as quickly as you can. Once the home is paid off you can start either to reduce the principle on the IP or invest in another as your cash flow improves.
    Of course it is even more viable if you can get a positively geared property.
    Hope this helps

Cheers
    Pyramid

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    Originally posted by danandang:

Definately have the investment properties in a different loans to your principle place of residence. The deposit amounts will be added to the loan against your existing ownerships. I guess you can account for this and that section of your loan can be dedicated through your accountant for investment property purposes. All a bit messy but should still work.

Hi Danandang,

Just a point of clarification here – do not have investment and personal expenses (ie IP and PPOR) in a single loan.

If for example you have $80K (PPOR) and $20K (IP) in a single loan and you receive a $50K windfall you cannot simply pay this amount off your PPOR to leave a $30K (PPOR) and $20K (IP) situation.

After paying the windfall the ATO will now see your debt as being $40K (PPOR) and $10K (IP).

For this reason it is wise to split your loans into investment and personal. It makes bookkeeping much cleaner.

And Mini – do not fear raising your level of investment debt. This is additional money that is working for you, not against you. All you need do is make sure your debt level is financially and emotionally affordable and manageable.

Derek
    [email protected]
    http://www.pis.theinvestorsclub.com.au
    0409 882 958

Profile photo of amerc79amerc79
    Participant
    @amerc79

Hi Minidaz,

i think I understand what you are saying.

You wish to access some equity from your PPOR in order to pay the deposit on your investment property and then take out an 80% lend to purchase the investment property.

I am confused as to why you need 3 loans when you only need 2. if you have equity in the PPOR for $90K on a loan of $190K for a property worth $340K then just increase the loan as it will cut down on costs.Therefore paying a repayment on $280K for the PPOR and the 80% of the investment loan.

Your concern is that your repayments for the PPOR will increase. Therefore, meaning that you will be required to outlay additional funds if the investment properties income is not enough to cover the two.

I have thought about this situation too and what I have found is if I make my regular payment on my PPOR then any extra funds remain are put onto the investment property and eventually meaning I will be able to purchase another property with the equity obtained from the investment property and then I have a property that is getting equity as the tenant is paying the mortgage and the new tenant is paying the other mortgage and I am providing additional funds. Another way is any extra funds then you save them to assist when you have enough equity in the investment property.

Profile photo of phillhill21phillhill21
    @phillhill21

Hi Derek,

You gave me a fright i thought i had boo booed.
    I double checked to make sure i haven’t crosscolaterised.
    I haven’t it was my ability to service the loans independently, I still have a hell of alot to learn.

Phil [glum2]

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.