Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of austin744austin744
    Participant
    @austin744

Hi I’m a new forum member my husband and I are in the process of buying our first home and need help with conveyoncing just wondering if any one has tried diy conveyincing in nsw, the costs and time required also if it is worth it

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Austin,

While I know that some people swear by self conveyancing I come from the other line of thought.

A professional lives and breathes conveyancing and as such mistakes are less likely to lead to problems later on down the line. Even though there are no guarantees with a professional you could seek some recommendations from forum frequenters – word of mouth is pretty powerful.

Derek
    [email protected]
    http://www.pis.theinvestorsclub.com.au
    0409 882 958

Profile photo of MagellanMagellan
    @magellan

Austin, If you make an error– you can’t sue yourself ! If you use a solicitor– you have recourse to going after them if they make an error– you could probably manage your own conveyancing for a straightforward purchase after you had bought/ sold some property through the professionals to get some experience of the steps required but for a first timer perhaps engage a professional– Trust it goes well. Of course there are plenty of incompetent professionals around too but as I said you do have some recourse in Law.

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

Personal opinion, for a first dabble into RE I would outlay for a professional. Having watched a fair few conveyancers before, it is relatively straight forward however they become very handy when the proverbial hits the fan if you have a good one.

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

I am with the “get a professional” camp as well. I have done it myself (in Queensland) many years ago using a kit and I think the grey hairs it added to my hair were just not worth it.

I found the stress levels similar to those involved in planning our wedding, ugghhhh!!!

The other thing I learnt doing my own conveyancing is that (in my experience) solicitors treat you like something they have found at the bottom of a pond. You can almost see them pulling on the rubber gloves when they have to deal with DIY conveyancers.

We have used a local solicitor for quite a number of purchases and sales and she charges only about $350 for a purchase, less for a sale from memory. Money well spent in my opinion.

My thoughts, Wylie.

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

Yes I’m for the Solicitor also. Ours charges $440 does all the searches, attends settlement and then phones me when its all done. Easy !!

Amanda
    “It is better to be inconspicuously wealthy, than to be ostentatiously poor…”

Profile photo of austin744austin744
    Participant
    @austin744

Thanks For all the advice helped heaps i think i will stick with the pros
    Can anyone advise good home and contents insurance

Profile photo of Kiwi-FullaKiwi-Fulla
    @kiwi-fulla

Hey There,
    We did it for our first proeprty… and all was going well until we struck a snag and I did not feel comfortable going it alone in case we were buying a lemon……. However I would do it again as it is not that hard really. DIY Kit cost me $150.00 and the solicitors were avaliable for assitance witht he kit … however not for advice to our particular property we were buying.
    Hope this gives a different angle on the feedback you have got sofar!
    Cheers
    Kiwi[baaa]

Profile photo of jjaausjjaaus
    @jjaaus

Hi Austin,

I would suggest you use a solicitor – mine charges $450 and I know everything is covered. Money well spent. At the end of the process you get a “congratulations” phone call.

In regards to insurance, I use AAMI they have been good to me. I use them for building, home contents, car, and landlord protection. It’s a one stop shop for me and I also receive multi policy discounts.

Good luck

Cheers

Jeff Aquilina

Need a holiday? http://www.coralsearesort.com email me [email protected] 20% DISCOUNT for PropertyInvesting.com members

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.