All Topics / Help Needed! / Termite treatment advice needed

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of PeteJackiePeteJackie
    Participant
    @petejackie

Hi Everyone,

We recently purchased an IP in regional Qld and had the usual pest inspections done. Although there was no evidence of termites, the pest inspector said that a crack in the concrete patio could be a potential risk. By the way,the building inspector didn’t seem to think the crack was a problem structually.

They have quoted $1139 for drilling & trenching plus treatment with Bifenthrin. Or $1546 for drilling & trenching plus treatment with Termidor.

We live in Tassie where we don’t have termites so we are very unfamiliar with it all. Does anyone know much about the trenching and whether it makes much of a mess? Do you think he might be trying to milk a bit of money out of us knowing we live so far away and don’t have a clue about termites.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Regards,

Pete

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

Yes Termites are a huge problem in Qld. I assume this is slab on ground ? How old is the house ? Was it treated when built as it should be Ok for 7-10 years I think ?
    They build a trench around the house and drill through concrete in order to create a complete barrier. It is recommended that you pave over where they have trenched for maximum benefit and not plant gardens up to the structure.
    If the house is slab on ground termites can penetrate even the smallest crack and just love all that juicy structural pine !!
    $1546 sounds like cheap insurance to me.

Amanda
    “It is better to be inconspicuously wealthy, than to be ostentatiously poor…”

Profile photo of PeteJackiePeteJackie
    Participant
    @petejackie

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for the reply.

The house is about 20 years old. It is a highset house on steel stumps. There is a concrete slab under the entire houseand part of it has been built on to create an extra bedroom. This is where the crack is that the inspector said could be a potential problem.

Regards,

Pete

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

I’m no termite expert but given you can walk under the house you should be able to see any activity (mud trails) up the stumps. (Check every 12 months) I suppose the only problem area is the room downstairs, and believe me they can come through a crack in the concrete.
    For peace of mind I would probably get it done although the ATO may treat it as a capital cost and not tax deductible.
    We had a quote of $2400 to redo a 3 bedroom slab on ground house. Perhaps get a second quote to satisfy yourself you’re not being overcharged.

Amanda
    “It is better to be inconspicuously wealthy, than to be ostentatiously poor…”

Profile photo of PeteJackiePeteJackie
    Participant
    @petejackie

Thanks Amanda,

Great Advice.I think we will get a 2nd opinion.

Pete

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.