All Topics / General Property / A Hypothetical Question.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Profile photo of AukssieAukssie
    Participant
    @aukssie

Hi Everyone,

After reading a post today, where the comment was made that, if it only took your signature on a piece of paper, (ie a mortgage Agreement) to make you a profit $10,000 would you sign that paper, I thought I would ask you this hypothetical question.

Before doing so, however, I will set the scene.

The Scene

You, (ie the reader of this post) and I, (the writer) are sat at a table opposite each other in a solicitors office. On the table is a blank piece of paper. Sat besides you is your solicitor and sat besides me is my solicitor.
    Now the reason we are here is because I have presented to you a no-strings attached offer. The offer is simply this. For your signature on this blank piece of paper I am willing to give you $10,000. Nothing else is required from you only your signature.
    There is nothing in my offer that is illegal or fraudulant, and that is why it is being done in a solicitors office; for your peace of mind, and because after consulting your solicitor and knowing the offer is geniune and exactly what I said it was, ie for your signature on that blank piece of paper I will give you $10,000 and no other reason.

After having read and understood what I have wrote above I will now ask you the hypothetical question, which is:

WOULD YOU PUT YOUR SIGNATURE ON THAT BLANK PIECE OF PAPER AND TAKE THE $10,000, YES OR NO?

My reason for asking this is because I want to know how people think like me.

Cheers,

Aukssie

Finally, before you commit your answer, I would like to remind you that it is only a hypothetical question and a simple Yes or No is all that is required.
    Should you wish to include the reasons for your answer, then please feel free to do so.

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

$ 10K is such a tiny amount of money I wouldn’t be involved.

Signatures are a big deal to me….multi million dollar deals are sealed with a signature….10K for a blank signature is chicken feed and undermines the importance of it.

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

i’m confused

D&L Property Projects NZ Ltd
    Sourcing Investments that fit.
    [email protected]
    Email to receive current deals &
    New Zealand Information Sheet
    http://www.nzproperty.org

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of AukssieAukssie
    Participant
    @aukssie

Hi,

Having read Dazzling’s reply, I would just like to clarify the point that the purpose of the question was only to find out whether you would take the money or not.
    The amount of money on offer is insignificant. I only picked $10K
    as, what I thought would be, a realistic example.

So with this in mind, I will ask you again, would you take the money or not?

Cheers,

Aukssie

Profile photo of tonyy21692tonyy21692
    @tonyy21692

No.

It’s easy to sell your reputation but you can never buy it back.

Regards
    Tony

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

I think you’re all taking this too seriously. I assume you are all thinking that anything could be written above your signature, but this post is just to tease anyway.

In REAL LIFE of course no-one is going to offer $10,000 for a signature without any strings attached, and if they did, surely EVERYONE would smell a rat!!

I get similar hypotheticals all the time from my youngest child and instead of trying to explain that the scenario can never happen and have him say “but WHAT IF” I now just give him the answer he wants so he will give it a rest.

So sign me up, I say. I fact I’d sign a couple of times and pay off my mortgage LOL.

Where do I sign, Wylie.

Profile photo of asdfasdf
    Participant
    @asdf

I would for $10K or even for $1. Granted someone could add to the paper thereafter but I’d be able to argue subsequently that I had no intention to give away or do whatever those additions purported to do. What is a signature? It is only one small element of forming a binding contract? And if all other elements are not present at the time of my signature, I’m not worried. So hand it over!

Profile photo of mathewc73mathewc73
    Participant
    @mathewc73

Yes, you can have an original of my signature on that blank piece of paper for $10k.

I also pick up 5c on the road at the traffic lights. Someone once said its bad luck to not accept any gift freely offered!

Profile photo of aussieinvestoraussieinvestor
    Participant
    @aussieinvestor

What an unusual post….well done and good for a bit of fun.

Many would be frightened off by the purpose of the signature on the paper but hey, we sign things every day so the opportunity to forge a signature exists anyway.

Electronic signatures (PINs etc) are more of a concern for fraud these days.

It appears from some of the posts above that many people put pride before profits.

I say…..show me the money baby and you can have my monogram!!!!

And like Wylie says, can we do it more than once?

All the best…aussie

(formerly giraffe…New Year, New Nick, New Opportunities)

“Real Estate – The Foundations of Wealth”

aussieinvestor | Digital Revenue Pty Ltd
    http://appliancewhiz.com
    Email Me

Profile photo of vwilsonvwilson
    @vwilson

I thought this would be a good thread to start off with!!
    Yes, with two solicitors as witnesses, why not???
    Cheers
    Veronica

Participant
    @aukssie

Hi Everyone,

It seems my second post to this thread clarified the issue somewhat and therefore people concentrated on the question rather than tried to analyse it.

Many Thanks.

My answer would also be Yes, I would take the money.
    As a parting thank you as I exited the solicitors office I would say, “Do you want to do this again sometime? I do, and preferably sooner rather than later”.

Cheers,

Aukssie

Profile photo of pyramidpyramid
    Participant
    @pyramid

Interesting hypothetical. But what’s the point?

Cheers
    Pyramid

Profile photo of dalefreodalefreo
    Participant
    @dalefreo

Yes. No worries

Dale

Participant
    @aukssie

Hi again,

Pyramid, in answer to your statement: ‘Interesting hypothetical. But what’s the point?’
    I suppose I could say that there is a lesson to be learnt from this “bit of fun” to quote aussieinvestor, which is:
    When dealing with people always remember that in any given scenario/situation their preceptions and perspective of that given scenario/situation will always differ from yours, because it is always adjudged from their own point-of-view.

cheers,

Aukssie

Profile photo of The Wild OneThe Wild One
    @the-wild-one

Yes would also.

This reminds me of a situation that I was in with a bank. We had signed a contract on a property and had organised finacne. When the loan schedules had arrived in the post we had to sign every page. Well to my surprise there was a page that was vertualy blank. I rang our loan officer to ask for an explanation, she replied with ” for your loan to go through you must sign every page “. I told her that I can’t sign page no. ( what ever ) it’s a blank page. So I returned the schedule back to the bank with one page unsigned. Some time had past, a week I think, when I received a phone call from the bank telling me that I hadn’t signed all the pages of the schedule and could we come in to do this so the loan can be approved. That signature still has me concerned, why did the bank include this page ?

Profile photo of fernfurnfernfurn
    @fernfurn

My first thought was No, what can they add above the signature. After reading all the posts, my second thought is No – if it seems to good to be true it probably is. And then I thoght I was probably taking the whole thing too seriously – so my third thought is No – just natural paranoia (?) the Nigerian scams, and the way I was brought up.

Fern

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

All scams aside, a contract between parties consists of an offer and acceptance. In this hypothetical, the offer is to be paid for a signature on a piece of paper with no intent to use that signature in any way shape or form.

Face value, I would say thanks for the $10k. I would probably only stipulate that an agreement was also written by the solicitors present that that was the agreement and was signed by the parties and copies held. That could simply be a one liner dated and signed.

I am not particularly risk adverse but make sure all understand exactly what they are getting in for.

Incidently, how would this be different from a personality signing an autograph on a blank piece of paper? Obviously, offer and acceptance again but can it lead to fraudulent activity?

Profile photo of monopoly manmonopoly man
    @monopoly-man

sign me up. [thumbsupanim]

$$financial freedom by 30$$

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

I’d sign and run with the money!

Celivia

Profile photo of lbglenlbglen
    Participant
    @lbglen

I’m in – just make my signature so big it takes up the whole page – very difficult to place a contract around that!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.