All Topics / Help Needed! / how to start researching?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of ben_1ben_1
    Participant
    @ben_1

Hi

I am new to PI and I have just finished reading Steve’s 2nd book. Steve has inspired me to want to take action and go hunting for +cf IPs.[smiling]

In the book and on this forum, I see numerous references to things like:
    – do your research/due diligence
    – I found a place that for $100k, but its worth $130k
    – Its in a town with growing population and good rental demand
    – Etc etc

So the question I have is (sorry if it seems too basic) how do I go about researching and finding information to determine these things?

The main one of concern is how to find a property’s true value? Eg is there a website that lists recent sales prices for property in a particular suburb/town? (would be great if this list also included some basic features of each property, such as number of bedrooms)

Thanks in advance

Ben

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

http://www.residex.com.au
    cheaper option buy API magazine it is usually in the back section
    reiv in victoria sells 10 years of historic values

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

http://www.homepriceguide.com.au has auction results by suburb. It’s a cheaper option to Residex, though not as comprehensive.

Regards
    Alistair

Profile photo of ben_1ben_1
    Participant
    @ben_1

Thanks!

Due to limited funds while i finish clearing my bad debts over the next 3-4months, I was hoping for something a little cheaper.

I think i will grab the latest API tonight.

Also 2 things i forgot to mention:
    – I prefer (but not limited to) SA for my first IP as it will be cheaper to get to the property for inspection. But please don’t hold back suggestions for this reason (i will file them and others may also benefit)
    – I am also interested in how to work out estimated rental income eg to apply in Steves ’11 second solution’

Cheers
    Ben

Profile photo of mariarmariar
    @mariar

I’m a little perturbed (!) at the the thought of having to pay for auction results. I just read the friendly little note at the bottom of SMH Domain results listing saying ‘Australian Property Monitors’ have copyright.

Anyone understand how this works ? Doesn’t the ‘land registry’ department keep a record of sales, isn’t the data in the public domain ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.