All Topics / Overseas Deals / Removing a Tapu on a property

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of PursefattenerPursefattener
    @pursefattener

A friend of mine recently came over for a visit and while we were chatting he mentioned his brothers troubles with a small property development near the town of Kawhia.

Basically he bought some small acreage near the sea which is freehold land and had a nice home built ( almost ) .

The local maoris decided they did not like it and burnt it down and placed a tapu on it ( a curse ). Sounds like fun eh!

So what is he supposed to do now?

Ever wondered why 600 people a week leave NZ permanently ? [rolleyesanim]

Shawn

Profile photo of MaiAMaiA
    @maia

Hi there

What a horrible experience for your friend. I empathise.

I am having a similar experience, hope that my experience may help.
    I am in the process of purchasing some land which has some bad history attached to it, and thus locals view this land as being ‘cursed’ and a local real estate agent advised me not to buy it as no one would want to rent the house that I built on it because of the history attached.. I talked and inquired further with the agent and challenged these notions……………….for example I would be quite happy to live in a new building regardless of what went on previously on that land……….
    Personally it seems a great shame to me that the superstitions of the local people have left that plot of land sitting doing nothing for years with this terrible ‘aura’ around it…….My way of thinking is why let a bad experience label a place. Are we not able to overcome the bad with good?
    Anyway after talking along these lines with the agent she said that she would and could happily sell the place once I had finished the development to people who were moving into the area,, who were perhaps unaffected by the locals opinions…….

I guess it depends how much power and belief you choose to give to what has occurred?
    Perhaps your friend would do well to talk with the people involved to see what their protest is all about???? and then look to persuade them to a better way of thinking if appropriate??

The bottom line for me was that no bad experience should have the power to stop a good development…….

Anyway good luck and all the best……would be interested in knowing how it all turns out…….

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.