All Topics / Finance / single mum desperate to stop renting & buy a home

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of justinsmumjustinsmum
    @justinsmum

Hello,

I am a single mum, working part time and have a total income of approximately $650 gross per week (including child support & parenting payment). I would like to break away from the rental trap if possible and have noticed in my local papers, private ads offering a house to buy privately with finance organised by the seller. The weekly amount is usually about $50 – $90 more than what I pay in rent per week and I am wondering if anyone is familar of these type of offers.

justinsmum

Profile photo of Luke TaylorLuke Taylor
    Participant
    @world-changer

Hello Justinsmum,
    great to hear you are gathering confidence to buy yr own property.
    You go for it!
    There are many ways you can do it.One of those is vendor finance or”wrap around finance”.This is what those adds usually refer to.These are ok if the terms are fair for both partys and you have a good solicitor on board with yr interests at heart.
    You could do a search on this forum under “wraps” and you will find lots of info to learn about it.
    Just keep in mind though that it may not be out of the Question for you to get a loan through a broker or a bank which is usually at a better rate and terms.
    All the best
    Dematio

We’ve got 70 yrs on planet earth,Lets make the most of every day!

Luke Taylor | Hope Property Investing
    http://hopepropertyinvesting.com
    Email Me

Property Support,Strategist and Buyers Agent

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Justins mum

Which State are you in?

Richard Taylor
    Residential & Commercial Finance Broker
    Ph: 07 3720 1888
    [email protected]

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I wouldn’t be too dsesperate if I was you.

It may lead you into accepting terms that aren’t in your best interests

It may lead you into paying too much when an agent detects that desperation and

There is no need to be too concerned. Average house prices are not rising at the moment so you have some time to start working on that deposit and finding a great deal.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    ***NODOC @ 7.15% to 70% LVR***
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

these vendor financing or rent to own situations can offer great benefits for both parties involved and can certainly help people out of the rental trap.

You need to get independent legal advice, get a soliciotor to look over all paperwork to ensure that it is set up right. The biggest risk is if the vendor goes bankrupt and leaves you with no title, there are measures to take to minimise this. speak with your solicitor and see what they could put in place for you!

They are great if they are done right!

We buy properties in Adelaide. No Agent Fees.
    [email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

Profile photo of grossrealisationgrossrealisation
    @grossrealisation

hi justinsmum
    couple of things first talk to alocal broker and see if you can’t buy out right,find out you max lend and come back with what the lend is and the value of the property in the area you are looking at and see if we can’t give you some pointers from there don’t need all the details, just this is the amount available and this is the type, value in that area .
    second

Dr.X and Mortgage Hunter can’t you caveat the property that you are the wrapaee to so it can’t be sold under you interest try not sure where you stand I’m not a wrapper know a bit about it but its not my area.

here to help
    If you want to get involved in some of the projects I’m involved in email to [email protected]

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Gross.

Can usually caveat, if the contract allows it. But this will not prevent the property being repossessed by the lender if the wrapper fails to pay.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @qlds007

Terry

The Contract cannot stop you placing a caveat on the property as it is the Property Act which makes this provision as protection for the wrappee however i agree with you this still gives no protection to the purchaser in the event of the wrapper going into bankrupcy.

In saying this i have seen certain contracts which state that a caveat cannot be lodged which is clearly in breech of the legislation.

Richard Taylor
    [email protected]

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Richard

You’re right. Anyone purchasing via an option or installment contract would have an equitable interest in the property and therefore be entitled to lodge a caveat.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of aussieinvestoraussieinvestor
    Participant
    @aussieinvestor

Hi Justinsmum

I guess that the most concerning part of your post is the word ‘desperate’. There’s no reason to be desperate and I figure that this is merely a figure of speech. It pays to be patient and find the right deal so that you don’t act too hastily and make some decisions that you may regret further down the track.

The fact that there is very little to describe your full situation, I ask you to ask yourself these questions….

1. Have you considered consulting a financial adviser to assess your overall financial situation/plan or maybe prepare a plan for you?

2. Have you approached a lending institution to discuss traditional finance?

3. Have you explored other options to finance your purchase, as there are many available?

4. Are there any family members or others who may be able to ‘lend’ you some equity for a stake in your house until you can pay them back or sell?

These are some of the questions you can ask yourself and perhaps pursue before deciding which way you will eventually go. There’s plenty of time and the worst case scenario is not necessarily your position now (renting) but what an ill-informed decision may lead to down the track.

Good luck.

All the best…Giraffe

“Real Estate – The Foundations of Wealth”

aussieinvestor | Digital Revenue Pty Ltd
    http://appliancewhiz.com
    Email Me

Profile photo of Colin GowanColin Gowan
    Participant
    @colin-gowan

Hello justinsmum,
    Many a time over the years I have extended my investment reach beyond my borrowing capacity.
    By partnering up with other investors.
    As a basic example you put in half the money and the other investor puts in the other half.
    Just make sure you do your homework on your partner/s and the investment.
    Always look before you leap.

A few weeks ago I was approached by a good friend who has been my building maintenance manager for many years to consider an investment partnership.
    He is a fantastic very skilled builder but poor saver and investor.
    After 40 years in the work force he wants to retire and has made the discovery that at best his supper rip off is nothing more than a house deposit.

My friend wants to get out of the city and retire in the country.
    He still wants to do some work but with out the rush.
    This is the trap if I invest with him.
    Time is critical to the return on an investment.

He is offering that we purchase a property half each.
    He will renovate it while I pay the materials cost; his labour is his additional contribution.
    When he has finished we sell the property and split the profits and use some of it for the next investment deposit.

He is not looking beyond one property at a time.
    Or considering that over time the capital growth from 10 is better than 3 to 6 months of equity gain due to the renovation work.
    He wants to sell out as soon as there is a capital gain to be had.

Now he is a nice fellow but I can’t proceed unless we can get the investment down to a reasonably short period in other words he can’t work just when he feels like it.
    He needs to get it done then take a month or two off before head down bum up into the next investment.

Now justinsmum I am mentioning this to you because there are many people out there in the same situation as yourself.
    I believe in TEAM (Together Everyone Achieves More).
    Find someone who has the time or skills you don’t have and partner up.

Suggestion purchase a house together, renovate it, then one partner buys out the other using the extra value in the investment.
    And there is nothing stopping both of you from doing this over and over.

If you have any questions send me an email.
    Perhaps you can include the abilities and skills you have available to bring to the party.
    MONEY=TIME=KNOWLEDGE WORKED.

Your friend Colin,
    Email [email protected]
    Home 02 46531376.
    Fax There will be a new number with in the next few days.
    Mobile 0425201055 (best contact as always working).
    For all your CLEANING and GARDENING work.
    ‘A person who graduated yesterday and stops studying today is uneducated
    tomorrow’ Richard Denny
    ‘Good values are easier caught than taught’ Richard Denny
    ‘Managers are people who never put off until tomorrow what they can get
    somebody else to do today’ Richard Denny

Email [email protected].
    Fax new number coming
    Mobile 0425201055.
    For all your CLEANING and GARDENING work.

Participant
    @qlds007

Colin

You are right nothing to stop you

“one partner buys out the other using the extra value in the investment.And there is nothing stopping both of you from doing this over and over.” it is just the stamp duty and CGT you have to build into working out whether it is viable or not.

Richard Taylor
    [email protected]

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.