Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

I was just reading the forum while my computer read a document to me that I had downloaded from another source.

The robot voice just told me that 97% of Americans have never written down a formal set of personal or financial goals.

Could this be true or did I miss hear the computer.

If this is true does it explain why most do not achieve the things that the most successful do.

How often should we review/change.

I am in the process of doing a set of personal goals and investments goals for 2006. Nothing on paper yet just alot of ideas and competing priorities.

The most important things on my list are all things that I have never done or only done with the help of others.

As members of a forum like this are we more or less likely to firstly set goals and secondly to achieve all or part of what we set out to achieve??

Cheers

Don

D&L Property Projects NZ Ltd
    Sourcing Investments that fit.
    [email protected]
    Email to receive current deals

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I wouldn’t be surprised. Other than my more successful investor clients I know very few people who have written goals.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    ***NODOC @ 7.15% to 70% LVR***
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Maybe post your goals for 2006 here Don?

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Now that would be scary – i will if you do!!!

[email protected]
    Email to receive current deals &
    New Zealand Information Sheet

Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Participant
    @redwing

I used to write goals and keep a diary each year, great for going back over things and keeping track ofjobs etc..then i went to a PDA..It’s just not the same. Great to have on hand for many reasons, though I still like the diary and will go back to it in 2006

– Goal One ;o)

get Day to a page Diary

PS- the topic 97% could also reflect that 97%of people who read this post wont answer..look at the figures :o)

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”

Participant
    @don

In 03 – 04 We actually used the template that steve posted out in one if his newsletters.

Doing the templates was one of the hardest things.

Can’t remember the exact format but you had to be accountable and give each thing a time and state how it would happen.

Guess what? It works and works really well.

Cheers

[email protected]

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Would Steve be willing to post said template here again?

Cheers
    C@34

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to always try something one more time.
    – Thomas Edison

Participant
    @redwing

Good idea, If he hurries we can include it in our New Years resolutions ;o)

Participant
    @redwing

SETTING GOALS FOR 2006..

Turn your IDEAS into GOALS, your THOUGHTS into ACHIEVEMENTS.

According to most opinion polls, less than 3% of individuals surveyed set goals. Lloyd Conant, founder of Nightingale Conant Corp., the biggest producers of video programs on success and achievements is often quoted as saying, “Success is goals, all else is commentary.”

Goals are written statements which guide us in the process of pursuing what we want or what we want to achieve. Written goals are not just part of business plans or an adjunct to mission statements for small or large corporations.

Often, we forget the lessons we’ve learned in the workplace and fail to carry them over into our personal lives. Goals should also be set for individual pursuits outside of career. Goals should also be part of planning a family’s future. Goal setting is one of the best ways to achieving success in any area of life, be it financial, business or career, health, relationships or leisure/fun time. By setting goals, a scattered, shapeless approach to any of the area mentioned above can be give shape and direction. No one would try to build a house without a plan, yet many of the same people try to build a life with no set plans or blueprints. Many of us dream about where we want to go, what we want to achieve, what we want to have and what our ultimate lifestyle would be like. The biggest difference between a dream and a goal is – a goal is written down. Dreams are fluff. We can drift in them aimlessly, perhaps remaining adrift for a lifetime.

Goals don’t have to be big. They can be small. But once you see the results of setting goals you will want to set goals for one to five year periods. Successful people have a clear sense of purpose and direction in every area of their lives. If you were to do an in-depth interview with them you’d uncover the fact that they have goals by which they direct their lives. Here are seven important steps in setting goals. If each one is put into action, a concrete road map emerges showing you exactly where you have to go to get to your destination to the place where you feel you have achieved success.

Review Last Year’s Goals

Take an objective look at the business and personal goals you made last year. Evaluate what you were able to achieve and move forward; learn to let go of lower level priorities that may be holding you back. Set Realistic Goals & Objectives: When you think about new goals and objectives, make sure they’re within your reach. Be mindful of your time, energy, commitments and resources. Many people forget that life continues, even when you set new goals. If you don’t take this into consideration now, it will lead to unrealistic goal setting.

It’s Your Goal

Sounds simple, doesn’t it? However thousands of people allow their main goals to be set by others – by parents, by corporations, by spouses, by slick Madison Avenue advertising and even by neighbors. When other people determine the definition of success or the means by which success is achieved, then the goal is not yours. It’s theirs. We all know people in careers that ended up there because parents wanted them to be a doctor, a lawyer, a teacher, a concert caliber musician or an auto mechanic, farmer, fireman, policeman, pilot. The list is endless. If you don’t meet their definition of success you risk feeling like a failure. It is up to you to decide and define what success means to you. The way to do this is to set goals for what you want to achieve. This universal law drives home the point of a goal being yours – You are completely responsible for everything you are and for everything you become or achieve.

The Goal Has Meaning to You

Goals have emotional components to them. They reflect your values and force you to think about what’s important. By setting goals and determining your definition of success they become challenging and exciting. Goals give you an edge in life. They prevent you from settling into boredom and mediocrity. They also put a tight lid on the game of “What if…” With goals determined by you chances are you won’t be sitting back and wondering what if I’d done that or what if I’d tried that or any other statement you can attach to the phrase what if… Create a goal that makes you so excited you can hardly sleep. When a goal is in alignment with your core values synergy and flow come into play naturally. Harmony is set in motion and propels you towards attaining the goal.

The Goal Is Written Down

Writing down the goal reinforces its importance. Our subconscious minds recognize this immediately. Written goals set strong motivational direction. You get excited about accomplishing it because it is meaningful to you. It is your vision of what is unquestionably right for you. A written goal helps focus activities that need to be done to achieve the goal. If you are doing things to move you towards the attainment of your goal then you are “successful” even if you not quite there yet. A written goal, in addition to helping you choose what to do, also helps you choose what not to do. Remember if a goal is not in writing it’s a New Year’s Resolution. Start the goal statement with I and a verb. The “I” word is empowering.

The Goal Is Specific and Measurable

This is the point where most people become confused and often give up on setting goals. Vague generalizations or wishy-washy statements do not define a specific goal. For example – I will be financially independent. What does that really mean? An income of billions and billions? An income of $200,000 a year? A stock portfolio of $50 million invested? Does it mean you are debt free? The statement – want more time with my family – falls into the same wishy-washy category. Be specific. I will earn $100,000 in 2001. I will spend two hours each night being present and attentive to my family. Keep this catchy slogan in mind when thinking about goals – a goal without a number is just a slogan.

The Goal Is Flexible

All goals need to be adjustable to new information. Why is it important? A goal chiseled in concrete will make you feel trapped. A flexible goal gives you the opportunity to change your course of direction if an opportunity comes along that you’d be crazy not to pursue. Often the unexpected comes along and if it’s pursued it turned out to be a disguised stepping-stone to the original goal.

The Goal Is Attainable

A goal is attainable when you can see the whole process of what it takes to achieve it. Nothing is more frustrating than a goal which is so out there, you can’t see the end of the line. Chances are you’ll quit trying. You’ll give up hope. You’ll get depressed. You’ll feel like a failure. You’ll end up going back to a boring and mediocre life. If you can see all the steps it takes for you to reach the goal and the steps are realistic (no robbing banks, suddenly being discovered, rising to CEO from a low level management position in with 1 year or being rescued by dashing multi-millionaire or heiress to millions) then the goal is attainable.

The Goal Has a Time Frame

You can take forever to accomplish something. Not having a time frame falls into the fluffy dream and wishy-washy statements category. Put a time limit on when you will finish what you started. If the goal is flexible there is breathing room. Having temporary setbacks is not a crime. Also, recognize that life events – illness, death of a loved one, job loss — can and do happen which can stall your momentum forward. These life events play havoc on the psyche. You will need time to recover. When you do recover, you goals, your plan of action will help you to reenter into life feeling positive and energetic.

Here’s a quick list of questions to ask yourself to help you in setting goals.

-What do I want to do?
    -What do I want to have?
    -What do I want to become?
    -What do I want to learn?
    -What do I want to spend my time on?
    -How much money do I want to have?
    -What is the purpose of me doing this?
    -What are the rewards and benefits of doing this?
    -What will I have to do to make this happen in 1-3-5 years?
    -What am I prepared to give up to make it happen?

The act of writing out a description of what you want and what you intend to do to accomplish what you want in one year, two years or five years will change your life. This is the most important part of goal setting. Write it down. Display it in a visible place. I will do something today, no matter how small, that will move me towards my goal.

“Reasons are the Fuel in the Furnace of Motivation”

Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Awesome post Redwing!

Love it [thumbsupanim] [thumbsupanim]!

Funny how simple it really is – unless you don’t know how to do it. For me, that was very succinct (more so than any other I have heard!) and will replace the New Years Resolution.

Happy New Year!

Cheers
    C@34

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to always try something one more time.
    – Thomas Edison

Don’t let reality be the benchmark for your Dreams

Participant
    @don

Hi C@34,

I have done a search for the one steve gave out in the newsletters of old.

I have been reading a bit on this lately and will be putting my own together. When I am finished I will post it up on the site or a link or something.

Not sure if the old newsletters are achieved or not?

cheers

[email protected]
    http://www.nzproperty.org

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @calvin_thirty4
    DLPP Posted – 27/12/2005 : 18:18:01

I have been reading a bit on this lately and will be putting my own together. When I am finished I will post it up on the site or a link or something.

I’d appreciate that, together with the blue print of Redwings post, I should find enough motivation and focus to really get something happening next (2006) year.

Waiting expectantly……[exhappy]

Cheers
    C@34

– Thomas Edison

Don’t let reality be the benchmark for your Dreams

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

Looking forward to you next post. I’ll show you mine if you show me yours !!

AJBS

Participant
    @don

Hi Guys,

Here is the link to the free template !

It was easy to find this time – thanks google.
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com/newsletter/Newsletter023.html#2

Cheers

[email protected]

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of adambcadambc
    Participant
    @adambc

Thanks heaps to everyone who’s contributed here, especially to Don and Liz and to Redwing.

For several yrs now I’ve thought “I should sit down and write down my goals” but then I never do it. And look – I’m now exactly where I was several yrs ago (well – I’m talking financially only here! I have done one or two things in the meantime!).

My wife and I are now just starting to make a move in property investing, so I figure that this is the second best time to do some goal setting (the best time was several yrs ago!).

So thanks again guys – I look forward to using the info you have provided to help us!

Regards,

Adam

PS. Happy new year to all of you! I hope that ’06 brings you much happiness and success!

Don’t let life get in the way of living.

Participant
    @redwing

How about your Goals Don, have you set them yet?

My Initial Goal re: Investing is to acquire $1M in Property Assets this year, Long Term it will be $1M in Equity ;o)

Sub Goals will be another IP in 2006 and leveraging into some Blue Chip Shares for yield..looking at how to bring these goals to fruition now..

If CG in WA is at least 10%, then without much Effort I should reach the $1M mark in Property Assets

REDWING

Participant
    @don

Hi Redwing,

Here goes. Without putting in any sepcifics I will express the financial part of the goals in percentage terms.

Financial for 2006: Increase net worth by 25%.

I am told the simple ones are the best.

Cheers.

[email protected]

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    Participant
    @redwing
    Originally posted by redwing:

How about your Goals Don, have you set them yet?

My Initial Goal re: Investing is to acquire $1M in Property Assets this year, Long Term it will be $1M in Equity ;o)

Sub Goals will be another IP in 2006 and leveraging into some Blue Chip Shares for yield..looking at how to bring these goals to fruition now..

If CG in WA is at least 10%, then without much Effort I should reach the $1M mark in Property Assets

REDWING

*BUMP*

Just reviewing my post here as we approach the final days of 2006 and enter 2007

Done…Total property portfolio assets are at approx $1.4M thanks to the recent WA boom

Didn’t purchase an IP this year though I’m not far away from doing so; leveraged into an Income based Managed Fund and will increase my holdings in 2007as well as look at several other options.

10% it seems was aiming low back then as the market achieved a lot more than this, then again i like to err on the side of caution

2007 should be a big year and i’m working on my goals for the forthcoming year

Online Positive Cashflow and Renovating Calculators

Profile photo of DaviddanaeDaviddanae
    @daviddanae

Nice work Redwing.

In your opinion do you see a 10% increase in CG next calendar year for Perth?

Look forward to hearing when you crack your long term goal.
    [cigar][cigar]

David

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.