All Topics / Value Adding / Can I sell the backyard to the neighbour

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of NATS12NATS12
    @nats12

i have a property which is to be subdivided into 2 blocks. the house next door ahs already been knocked down and has been given a permit to subdivide and build 3 townhouses – 2 double storey and one single.

the block i have with a current house on the front can only fit 1 reasonable size house on the back in its current format.

however, if i was to sell the backyard off to next door to develop they could probably get 2 smaller town homes on as turning circles, open space etc could be incorporated into the existing 1200sqm of land he already has. he would also be likely to be able to get at least 1 double storey in considering he’s achieved this with his existing permits.

i would have around 600sqm of land, maybe a little more to offer him, but i would want to retain the front house and fence it off as a seperate dwelling.

how hard is what i’m proposing to do considering he’s got his permits? he has taken over 2 years to get to the point he’s at now, but construction is still a fair distance away, no pegs up or anything. i know he may not want the land, but i can always make contact and give it a try – after all, it may be a win-win situation.

if it all fails, i will go back to my survey and permits and so on and construct anyway.

any thoughts?

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

Hi Nats,

What you propose would almost certainly require a new application. It’s probably worth a try though. Two years is a lot of time to get a permit by the way, unless he has had to try a number of different applications.

Regards
    Alistair

Profile photo of brcbrc
    Participant
    @brc

This is probably a boundary realignment and not a subdivision so approval would be faster. My friend just cut a corner off his block, 1/20th of his land size, but the escalating land prices meant that this corner paid off his outstanding debt on the whole block by selling a corner. Another one I know of bought a 5m strip from the neighbour for small change (they needed the money), increased the size of the block by 30% and definitely the value as the house now has rear access.

Just sort out who is going to pay the fees and work out a price based on that. Go into your local council and see the planning desk. They’ll soon tell you whether you can do it or not. Takes 10 minutes and you’ll know for sure whether to approach them.

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

BRC,

That is not correct. To put multiple dwellings on the property a planning permit is required. You wouldn’t realign the boundaries without first confirming that you can use the extra land.

Regards
    Alistair

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.