All Topics / Creative Investing / Does anyone have a straight answer to this?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of pyramidpyramid
    Participant
    @pyramid

Hi everyone
    I have searched high and wide amongst the thousands of posts on propertyinvesting.com but have not yet seen a straight answer to this question:
    “Does land tax have to be paid on a wrapped property in NSW if the wrapee qualifies for exemption from land tax because it is below the land tax value threshold and it is their primary place of residence?”

Cheers and thanks
    Pyramid

Cheers
    Pyramid

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi Pyramid

Instalment Contracts (wraps) in NSW are great because they have the wonderful general effect of making land tax disappear! Here’s why:
    1. In NSW a property is deemed to have changed ownership, for land tax and stamp duty purposes, on exchange of contracts.
    2. Once you have sold the property via an Instalment Contract (wrap), you have exchanged contracts, ie. disposed of the property and are therefore no longer liable for Land Tax.
    3. For land tax and stamp duty purposes, your wrapees now own the property but it is their principal place of residence (presumably) so they are not liable for land tax either.

Land tax has now disappeared for both you and your purchasers (wrapees). Check all this with a good “wrap savvy” lawyer but we have had a zero land tax assesment for a couple of years now and we have carried out a number of wraps.

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Profile photo of pyramidpyramid
    Participant
    @pyramid

Hi Paul
    You have finally hit the nail on the head. This is exactly what I needed to know. I will of course check with a wrap saavy lawyer – but I ca now go in better informed.

Really appreciate the straight answer

Cheers
    Pyramid

Profile photo of MichaelGruberMichaelGruber
    @michaelgruber

Hi,

Section 26 of the Land Tax act for NSW is the part you need to read. It covers it all there.

In essence, the wrappee;

– must have possession of the property
    – have purchased with a valid contract
    – have the rights as if they were the owner (ie can rent property out etc)

Regards
    Michael G

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.