All Topics / Value Adding / Vinyl Cladding

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of PursefattenerPursefattener
    @pursefattener

Hello everyone, I know this has been covered before but I don’t want to do a search.

We have a large weatherboard house which I’ve decided to do something with. Has 17 windows of which some are a bit tired. Got the quote to replace windows and fully clad the place and it comes up to a little over 20k . The other option of course is to have a handy man /painter work on the existing boards ( some need replacing )
    Quote for the cladding is the Canadian made stuff which I am told is better. What do you think ?

We don’t plan selling this any time soon.

Do you think cladding can add real value in the short term??

A relative of mine who is a bricky reckons it sucks [biggrin]

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I personally agree with your mate and doubt it will add any value compared to painting.

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    ***NODOC @ 7.15% to 70% LVR***
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of roborobo
    @robo

There is a couple of better quality Australian made vinyl claddings available.
    Most people clad their home because they don’t want to keep painting it. Depends on the condition of the w/boards but i have clad w/board homes for not much more than the cost to paint. everyone has their opinion, we have clad over 1300 homes in the last 13 years and have never had anyone say they didn’t like it? Will it ad value in the short term? again depends on the condition of the home now. Just did a house for R/E agent/investor to on sell. We get people come up to us at our display in shopping centres that have had their house clad for 30 years and they always say how much all the painting it has saved them. The quality of vinyl cladding is alot better now than in the past. Asking a bricklayer if he likes cladding is like asking a carpet layer if he likes floor boards. Or a mortgage broker if you should go direct to the bank. lol
    Of course i am not bias.
    Robo
    ps if you can give me some measurements or m2 i can tell you if you are being conned. It is cheaper to deal with someone who owns the business not a salesman, cut out the commission, IMHO.
    http://www.bestclad.com.au

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools

I agree…replace as necessary and repaint.

Tools

Profile photo of PursefattenerPursefattener
    @pursefattener

Some of the cladding from years ago such as the immitation brick stuff I always thought was awful.
    From what I looked at today some of the colours and styles are really snappy .

Thanks Robo.

Profile photo of LoneLone
    @lone
    Originally posted by robo:

There is a couple of better quality Australian made vinyl claddings available.
    Most people clad their home because they don’t want to keep painting it. Depends on the condition of the w/boards but i have clad w/board homes for not much more than the cost to paint. everyone has their opinion, we have clad over 1300 homes in the last 13 years and have never had anyone say they didn’t like it? Will it ad value in the short term? again depends on the condition of the home now. Just did a house for R/E agent/investor to on sell. We get people come up to us at our display in shopping centres that have had their house clad for 30 years and they always say how much all the painting it has saved them. The quality of vinyl cladding is alot better now than in the past. Asking a bricklayer if he likes cladding is like asking a carpet layer if he likes floor boards. Or a mortgage broker if you should go direct to the bank. lol
    Of course i am not bias.
    Robo
    ps if you can give me some measurements or m2 i can tell you if you are being conned. It is cheaper to deal with someone who owns the business not a salesman, cut out the commission, IMHO.
    http://www.bestclad.com.au

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

WHen we built an extension we had a few different quotes for vinyl cladding- vaying between $3000 and $8000 for the exact same material. You always need to get a few different quotes. For the exact same materials there was a big difference in the quotes.
    We chose the cheapest and were very happy with the material (fully isolated), the company and the service. It’s about 9 years ago since we had it done and have had no problems with the cladding whatsoever.
    Once every couple of years we give it a rinse and it looks as good as new!

Celivia

Profile photo of PursefattenerPursefattener
    @pursefattener

Robo , So there is nothing wrong with the Australian cladding products as such ? Compared to the Canadian products ?

I will get the measurements again and send them to you to see how how good the quote is .

Shawn

Profile photo of roborobo
    @robo

Hi Shawn,
    We prefer to use Aussy made, if you give the customer the option they usually choose the Aussy unless their is a colour they like better in the canadian. the vinyl is thicker and the trims are stronger plus if you have a problem you can go direct to the manufacturer in sydney, canadian is imported by a distributer and could be a drama if their is a problem.
    Hope that helps
    Robo
    what area are you in and who gave you the quote?

Profile photo of fernfurnfernfurn
    @fernfurn

I have had aluminium cladding on a large home for approx 22 years. Absolutely brilliant as far as no painting goes – only need to do windows. It is now an IP so great. Only problem the kids did dent it throwing balls at it in one spot when younger. Will it add value – not a penny. If you ever aim to sell repaint. You may not need to replace all bad weatherboards, Builders bog can do wonders with smaller areas and save a lot of time getting old board off etc.

Fern

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.