All Topics / General Property / Bushfire Season

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

… just making a coffee and reading the back of the milk carton it asks:…”Are you ready for bushfire Season (BFS)?…”

Good point! What am I going to do for BFS? What are you all doing for BFS?

Do you send reminders to tennants to clean up the joint? Send in the cleaners for them/ do it your self posing as a cleaner? Send in a gardeing maintenance crew?

What do you do to stop your IPs from going up in smoke? I’d up the insurance first, hehehe. Especially on the old units [satan], hehehehe….

I’d be interested in your point of view!

Cheers
    C@34

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to always try something one more time.
    – Thomas Edison

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

this time last year I copped a $300 fine at one of my development sites for having lawn up to ankle height… there was no arguing with the council and I had to pay for my ‘serious fire hazard’. My mate just emailed me to say a house he is building has been issued a fire infringement notice of $250 if he doesn’t clean up within 5 days (last time i saw it was just sand so it is hard to imagine). so my thoughts: clean up your sites or you will cop a very irritating fine

http://www.megapropertygroup.com

INVESTMENT SALES * RENTAL SOLUTIONS * STRATA MANAGEMENT

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

FESA have some great publications out at the moment..

My IP’s not in danger, unless tenant burns the place down…which brings me to an earlier post of mine regarding most of us being “under Insured”..time to check your policies

I think AIMI (is that right?) has a good calculator

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

So is it the tennants responsibility or yours?

Building sites are a little different – if YOU are the builder, AUSPROP I’d expect you to be responsible for it, but what if you have bought a House and Land Package? technically it is yours but realistically it isn’t until lockup stage (I am assuming that that will co-incide with settlement).

Cheers
    C@34

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to always try something one more time.
    – Thomas Edison

Profile photo of aussieinvestoraussieinvestor
    Participant
    @aussieinvestor

hello all

I haven’t been on for a while and really love the look of the updated site, although I haven’t had the chance to test it’s functionality.

I believe that this topic may be right up my alley, given that I am a fire manager in the state of Victoria and dabble a bit in investing.

Although the last post was some time ago and I may be a little too far into the season, here is the low-down on the predictions for this fire season.

The Bureau of Meteorology has predicted temperatures to be several degrees hotter than average this summer. The early hot weather we’ve been having is probably a good sign of things to come.

Spring rains and the recent burst of sunshine in Victoria has amounted to abundant grass growth in many areas, including the Otway Ranges, the Dandenongs and areas of the Mornington Peninsula.

Although the bush can and will burn most of the year, fuel loads are quite high and with the abundant grass will run the risk of uncontrollable fire running in or out of the bush.

As a fire and emergency service organisation, we are prediction above average fire activity this year throughout Victoria.

What it means for investors, and I can only comment in Victoria, is enforce your right to do a property inspection. Check for growth, rubbish and flammable/combustible materials stored adjacent to the house and the gutters, which surprisingly burn more houses down in a bushfire than the actual fire itself.

As far as who pays for it, does it really matter? The tenant must keep the property as per the tenancy agreement but there is nothing stopping you from doing the work, if you find that convenient, once giving enough notice.

The flip side is to do nothing and not only risk losing your property, but possibly suffer the stigma of having a person or people perish in an unprepared house, knowing you were in a position to do something.

Brochures are available by ringing the Victorian Bushfire Inquiry Line on 1800 240 667.

All the best…Giraffe

“Real Estate – The Foundations of Wealth”

aussieinvestor | Digital Revenue Pty Ltd
    http://appliancewhiz.com
    Email Me

Participant
    @ausprop
    Originally posted by calvin@thirty4:

So is it the tennants responsibility or yours?

Building sites are a little different – if YOU are the builder, AUSPROP I’d expect you to be responsible for it, but what if you have bought a House and Land Package? technically it is yours but realistically it isn’t until lockup stage (I am assuming that that will co-incide with settlement).

Cheers
    C@34

– Thomas Edison

Calvin I would say that both technically and realistically the problem is yours. the builder is building you a house, not worrying about your gardens. Note that because something is labelled as a “house and land package”, you still bear the responsiblility and are basically a developer, albeit a small one.

Participant
    @ausprop

also the weather is so ordinary in Perth this year that the only danger of a bushfire would be a spark from the open fire trying to keep the house warm. seriously – what is up with this weather?? this is the cuckiest weahther pattern ever!

Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Hi Oz and others,

Calvin I would say that both technically and realistically the problem is yours. the builder is building you a house, not worrying about your gardens. Note that because something is labelled as a “house and land package”, you still bear the responsiblility and are basically a developer, albeit a small one.

Thanx for that. I obviously need to look into getting insurance soon as building is due to start in Jan 06.

giraffe Posted – 22/12/2005 : 00:01:26

The Bureau of Meteorology has predicted temperatures to be several degrees hotter than average this summer. The early hot weather we’ve been having is probably a good sign of things to come.

As Ausprop has mentioned, weather here in Perth (or WA) has been weird, to say the least! I live in Port Hedland and we normally have a stinker of a time right now but the evenings are still quite cool. During the day it gets up to a balmy 37-40 degrees but at night time it is quite pleasant with mid to high twenties. We got some rain in the general area so it is a bit muggy….[sunny], but you get that!

Thank you for your insight, Giraffe! Welcome back.

Cheers
    C@34

– Thomas Edison

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    Originally posted by calvin@thirty4:

What are you all doing for BFS?

Hi Calvin,

I have dusted off the protective clothing, issued over 100 burning permits, checked over the fire vehicles, conducted some education visits for local residents, attended countless preparation meetings and training sessions as part of my role as Fire Control Officer for the local Bushfire Brigade (and they say we are volunteers).

Despite the wetish year and the mild weather this season is just like any other with the bush still burning as well as it always has done. As an individual you should do everything possible to prepare for the ‘day’ because one day it will happen despite what the history of the area says. When the manure hits the fan there will not be a vehicle available for every house and preparatin by residents increases the likelihood of your proeprty being saved.

By the way we are currently on stand by for a bushfire in the local area which has started in scrubland just north of here despite it only being 22C.

I am hoping that Xmas/New Year period is relatively quiet and that I can enjoy some time with family who are down at the time.

Derek
    [email protected]
    http://www.pis.theinvestorsclub.com.au
    0409 882 958

Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Derek,
    may I ask you what locality you are in?

My father lives in Parkerville (Mundaring).

Cheers
    C@34

– Thomas Edison

Don’t let reality be the benchmark for your Dreams

@derek

South Coast – it’s now raining.

We went to the hills fires last year too.

Derek
    [email protected]
    0409 882 958

Profile photo of aussieinvestoraussieinvestor
    Participant
    @aussieinvestor

The Christmas/New Year period should be a wake-up call for us all.

We live in one of the most fire-prone areas of the world and should not become complacent.

Major fires in four states, several houses and numerous outbuildings lost and major stock losses in NSW and Victoria. Even in WA, where the weather patterns have been reported as unusual on this thread, had it’s share of fires over the break.

In Victoria the prediction is for higher than average temperatures (hottest December and NYE on record) and coupled with the significant fuel growth, we have a recipe for disaster.

It is never too late to prepare, especially people with rural properties, on the urban/rural interface and those backing on to parklands and reserves.

Have a safe summer.

All the best…aussie

(formerly giraffe…New Year, New Nick, New Opportunities)

“Real Estate – The Foundations of Wealth”

aussieinvestor | Digital Revenue Pty Ltd
    http://appliancewhiz.com
    Email Me

@derek

Hi Aussie,

Good comments – something those of us who live in prone areas should consider.

A couple of points that individuals should remember.

When a bushfire approaches it is usually on a large front. Invariably the capacity to allocate a fire appliance to each threatened piece of property is severly limited so individual homeowners should not rely on an appliance being available at your time of need – after all most bushfire fighters are all volunteers.

If a fire is approaching get yourself correctly dressed – thongs, shorts and tank tops do not count as adequate attire. Love the news footage of people on their rooftops squirting hoses around attired as described.

And finally, if you want some more information

http://www.fesa.wa.gov.au/internet/default.aspx?MenuID=325

I am sure other organisationsin your respective state has similar information available.

Derek
    [email protected]
    0409 882 958

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.