All Topics / General Property / Look at that Ugly Compressor!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of PaulGWAPaulGWA
    @paulgwa

Came home today, put my things down and looked out the window. Ahhhrrrr!!

Our neighbors (South Side) have installed a split system and the compressor is mounted to the wall about 2m up and directly in front of the only South facing window we have which just happens to be a room we spend a lot of time in.

Can they do that?

If they had have installed it 3m either side of where it is we wouldn’t see it.

Its not very noisy but I cant bare to look at it.

Anyone familar with specific building regulations re this type of installation?

Profile photo of hbhb
    @hb

Hey paul
    that’s nothing
    i arrived to work one morning and there was a tilt slab 3 feet from my window covering it completely.
    all i saw was concrete straight up
    but thats progress for you
    a happy developer
    and more important than disgrunted tennants
    look
    after a while you won’t even notice it

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation

Build a fence or plant a tree?
    F.[cowboy2]

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

I wonder if you have any sort of relationship with the neighbours, as in, can you broach the subject without them being hostile.

I would tell them you use the room all the time and look straight at their compressor. I would offer to pay something towards having it moved three metres so you don’t look at it. If they don’t want to pay anything themselves, I’d ask them to get a quote and then make a decision whether to pay for it myself. I’d guess that would cost maybe a couple of hundred tops, but if you can’t stand to look at it, it could be money well spent.

Of course, if there is a bad relationship, they will be gleeful that this is upsetting you, in which case, plant a tree.

I’d approach them to see if they would at least be agreeable to moving it and work out the dollars with them depending on how they respond.

All the best, Wylie.

Profile photo of MagellanMagellan
    @magellan

The first thing to do is to check with your local Council to see if a D. A is required to instal an A.C. If so Councils usually notify neighbours of the proposal when the D. A is submitted. If you have not been informed and Council requires a D.A your neighbours have probably installed it without Council’s consent. Even if Council’s consent is not required for A .C. Installation they have guidelines for the installation with which your neighbour must comply with regard to noise levels and siting in relation to neighbouring properties. Find out council’s rules and act from a position of knowledge. What your actions are will depend on your previous relationship with neighbours.

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation

A few points:
    – I doubt there is a single shire in the country that requires DA/planning permit for approved air cons. (Although I recall a proposal from the ‘greens’ in NSW along those lines – don’t think it got up.)
    – I imagine the compressor already complies with noise level restrictions or it shouldn’t be on sale.
    – Given the previous 2 points, I can’t see how there would be any rules regarding siting such a device on your own property.

Call me crazy, but I can’t see how the neighbour has done anything wrong and why he should be required or encouraged to do anything about it! PaulGWA does not own any right to a particular view into his neighbour’s property. It’s his neighbour’s property for chrissakes! If PaulGWA wants control over what his neighbour does on the property he can make an offer to purchase the place. Short of that, leave it alone!

F.[cowboy2]

Profile photo of MagellanMagellan
    @magellan

The first thing to do is to check with your local Council to see if a D. A is required to instal an A.C. If so Councils usually notify neighbours of the proposal when the D. A is submitted. If you have not been informed and Council requires a D.A your neighbours have probably installed it without Council’s consent. Even if Council’s consent is not required for A .C. Installation they have guidelines for the installation with which your neighbour must comply with regard to noise levels and siting in relation to neighbouring properties. Find out council’s rules and act from a position of knowledge. What your actions are will depend on your previous relationship with neighbours.

Profile photo of PaulGWAPaulGWA
    @paulgwa

Just spoke with council and they dont have any regulations unless its noisey.

I have a good relationship with the neighbor so will have a chat with them re a screen or relocation.

Cheers..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.