All Topics / Heads Up! / New Property Advisors Course

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney

Currently there is no regulation of the property investment business – anyone can get up and speak at seminars or even sell proeprty for developers or through clubs.

This has lead to some shonks and “spruikers”.

But this is going to change….

The government is looking at regulating or licensing property invetsment advisors including presenters and this is a good thing.

We are foundation members of the PIAA – Property Investment Advisors Association whcih is hoping to be the self regulating body.

It also has also launched the first proeprty investment course

http://www.theage.com.au/news/business/property-investment-course-a-first/2005/11/14/1131951100063.html

Hopefully things are changing for the better.

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.metropole.com.au

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Hi Michael,

TAFE in Perth and Adelaide have been running a property Investors course for a while now as well as a Real Estate Agents Course (REA Course would be in competetion to REIWA).

However, In saying that I wish you all the best..keep us up to date with the PIAA – Property Investment Advisors Association; is it going to be Australia wide?

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of grossrealisationgrossrealisation
    @grossrealisation

hi MichaelYardney
    yes there are problems with seminars and investing groups but most of the people that perform outside the normal 10% return do not work within these constraints so the more creative pens in this world will not be controlled by these rules because these rules restrict there fluid systems.
    With any thing there are shonks and spruikers but some of the people that are making deals that for one I would like to be involved in cann’t be regulated for so.
    If you like to stay within the (property investment business)thats all well and good but you will always find that one door closes and another opens.
    I like to see all angles of investing it gives me a little edge.
    as for a good thing I see regulating as a hump in the road of investing and needs to get over to get to your goal.
    we have different views

here to help
    If you want to get involved in some of the projects I’m involved in email to [email protected]

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Hi Mike,

First off I respect your knowledge and experience in the property field. I believe I could learn alot from you. Please don’t take my comments as disrespecting you personally.

I’ve seen some self regulated, registered, licensed examples and the amount of shonks would probably be greater. I’m certainly not convinced it’s a good thing.

Self regulated commissions / associations / committees / foundations and any other big words ending in “ions” are usually just a little harder to scrutinise as the club or pack mentality gets going. The ones with vested interests who like controlling which way the rules are bent to their advantage are ALWAYS the ones who jump on board the bandwagon first and try and stand out as being squeaky clean.

No implications intended, but I’ve come across quite a few dodgy REA’s and Fin. advisers in my time who were all highly educated / decorated / qualified / licensed / authorised and approved. The walls were covered with self congratulatory certificates, which are absolutely fantastic to prove how wonderful and non-dodgy they really were, despite their appalling practices.

Grumpy 70 and 80 year old men with 60 years experience in property, with not a certificate in sight, would generally run rings around these younger pups dressed up in suits and ties with stamped and signed bits of paper coming out their wazoo.

Govt departments being what they are, cannot operate without flimsy bits of paper, and hence the proposed up and coming association will probably flourish.

Red tape and compliance fees will go thru the roof.

What’s my alternative you ask ?? How about consumers of these current property advisers actually stand on their own two feet, grab a bit of “I’m fully responsible for my own actions and decisions” and scrutinize everything they are told…no “trust me – I know” type stuff.

Most importantly, don’t keep running to consumer protection depts and lawyers when their complete lack of due diligence results in them taking a bath on some deal that was either totally inappropriate for their needs or way out of their league to start with (eg risk profile / scale).

Would you agree with any of the above points ??

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

Hi Michael

I believe as you know that any education is good. My only problem is that many of the marketing companies already have financial planning licences attached or a real estate licence. We already have more red tape in Australia than anywhere else. Just becuase companies are registered as financial planners does not mean that they are doing the right thing by there clients

Nigel Kibel

http://www.propertyknowhow.com.au

Australian and New Zealand The United States Property Researcher and education
    One Day property investment research workshop just $290 Melb 26 November Buying in the United States and New Zealand

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney
    Originally posted by redwing:

Hi Michael,

TAFE in Perth and Adelaide have been running a property Investors course for a while now as well as a Real Estate Agents Course (REA Course would be in competetion to REIWA).

However, In saying that I wish you all the best..keep us up to date with the PIAA – Property Investment Advisors Association; is it going to be Australia wide?

REDWING

This course is not for investors – it’s for advisers.

Thanks for the good wishes, but I am not running or organising anything – the PIAA needed funds and names to form a cohesive indutry body and we gave it our support.

Other members include Becton, Mirvac, legal firms, financiers estate agents and proeprty marketers.

I’ll keep you up to date.

there web site is http://ww.piaa.org.au/

if you go to http://www.piaa.net.au you get the pet industry association

I’m not sure which one I should belong to [biggrin]

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES

Participant
    @michaelyardney
    Originally posted by Dazzling:

Hi Mike,

First off I respect your knowledge and experience in the property field. I believe I could learn alot from you. Please don’t take my comments as disrespecting you personally.

I’ve seen some self regulated, registered, licensed examples and the amount of shonks would probably be greater. I’m certainly not convinced it’s a good thing.

Self regulated commissions / associations / committees / foundations and any other big words ending in “ions” are usually just a little harder to scrutinise as the club or pack mentality gets going. The ones with vested interests who like controlling which way the rules are bent to their advantage are ALWAYS the ones who jump on board the bandwagon first and try and stand out as being squeaky clean.

No implications intended, but I’ve come across quite a few dodgy REA’s and Fin. advisers in my time who were all highly educated / decorated / qualified / licensed / authorised and approved. The walls were covered with self congratulatory certificates, which are absolutely fantastic to prove how wonderful and non-dodgy they really were, despite their appalling practices.

Grumpy 70 and 80 year old men with 60 years experience in property, with not a certificate in sight, would generally run rings around these younger pups dressed up in suits and ties with stamped and signed bits of paper coming out their wazoo.

Govt departments being what they are, cannot operate without flimsy bits of paper, and hence the proposed up and coming association will probably flourish.

Red tape and compliance fees will go thru the roof.

What’s my alternative you ask ?? How about consumers of these current property advisers actually stand on their own two feet, grab a bit of “I’m fully responsible for my own actions and decisions” and scrutinize everything they are told…no “trust me – I know” type stuff.

Most importantly, don’t keep running to consumer protection depts and lawyers when their complete lack of due diligence results in them taking a bath on some deal that was either totally inappropriate for their needs or way out of their league to start with (eg risk profile / scale).

Would you agree with any of the above points ??

Simple answer…

YES -I agree with everything you say

More regualtion or more paper work is not the answer, the shonks will always find a way around it.

WHat it may do is stop some of the get rich quiclk seminars.

I fully agree that people should take responsibility for the decisions in life including their investment decisons.

But people will be people and they keep getting sucked in my fancy marketing. They get greedy – but we all do at times, don’t we?

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

Hi Mike,

Maybe someone should step in and regulate real estate agents giving investment advice, they are the ones that cause the most trouble?

Most of them wouldn’t know what an investment is if one jumped up and bit them.

We buy properties in Adelaide. Immediate Cash Settlements, No Agent Fees.
    [email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

Participant
    @redwing
    Originally posted by MichaelYardney:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/business/property-investment-course-a-first/2005/11/14/1131951100063.html

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES

I was refering to this Michael..??

[It also has also launched the first proeprty investment course

THE Property Investment Association of Australia will launch Australia’s first accredited property investment course today as the Federal Government considers calls for stricter controls over the industry.

The course developed by Deakin Prime, Deakin University’s corporate arm, is the first accredited training that comprehensively covers all aspects of the property investment industry. A parliamentary joint committee inquiry into the industry has recommended advisers should have an Australian Financial Services licence.

Association board member Noel Browne said the course would provide accreditation requirements for the licence.

The Federal Government is yet to make a final decision on the inquiry recommendations, but it is widely tipped that some form of regulation controlling investment advice will be implemented.

Mr Browne said the course included five modules to be completed by distance education, which would take about six months.

The accredited course has been aligned with the Financial Services Reform provisions of the Corporations Act and with Australian Securities and Investments Commission training requirements for regulated financial services.

Mr Browne said the course had been developed as a benchmark of knowledge and skills

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”

Participant
    @michaelyardney

Redwing,

NO the article is mis leading – it is for property investment advisers

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES

Participant
    @michaelyardney
    Originally posted by Dr.X:

Hi Mike,

Maybe someone should step in and regulate real estate agents giving investment advice, they are the ones that cause the most trouble?

Most of them wouldn’t know what an investment is if one jumped up and bit them.

We buy properties in Adelaide. Immediate Cash Settlements, No Agent Fees.
    [email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

You are right – most don’t know any thing about investment properties, don’t own one and never will. Yet they give advice and predictions on future values.

They will be caught under the proposed new goovernment regulation and will need much more than a real estate agents’license to give proeprty investment advice.

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES

Participant
    @redwing

So is your initial post then Michael as you mention the Investing Course???

We are foundation members of the PIAA – Property Investment Advisors Association whcih is hoping to be the self regulating body.

Michael Yardney

Anyhow…

I think the PIAA is a step in the right direction at least, keep us posted.

REDWING

Participant
    @michaelyardney
    Originally posted by redwing:

So is your initial post then Michael as you mention the Investing Course???

Michael Yardney

Anyhow…

I think the PIAA is a step in the right direction at least, keep us posted.

REDWING

The most inetersting think about my post was how many typos there were.

I shouldn’t be on the computer so late at noght nought night[biggrin]

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES

Participant
    @redwing

dnt worrie ti appens to all of uz..just confused me with the initial posting thats all.

so no course then?

Thanks Michael

Profile photo of JITJIT
    @jit

Hi Michael and others,

I think the PIAA organisation is a good thing.

The course is certainly a step in the right direction, in that, it attempts, in part, to provide some minimum standard of qualification for those in the industry – ie, of providing property investment advice.

But, it has its flaws.

I heard about this course some time ago through John Hopkins, who I understand was instrumental in developing this course, and has been in the industry for many years.

A brief course outline or syllabus is available on the “Deakin Prime” website. It consists of 5 modules (see below) the total cost is $2365 for non-PIAA members, and takes about 6 months to do by distance education (self-study/self-paced). There are no prerequisites to do the course.

For someone with some prior experience in this area and investments, it would probably seem pretty straightforward, maybe even boring. Could be done much quicker than 6 months too.

I think that having some sort of accreditation or licensing of people providing property investment advice is important. But, if someone with no prior experience in the area, no high school degree, no tertiary degree, no personal property investments (PPOR or investment property) – is able to do the course – in 6 months or maybe 2 months or less if they’re clever, in their spare time at home, and pass the assignments/exams, some of which are done “online” (say with a pass mark of 51%)- how credible are they really going to be? Would you take advice from a young upstart, just because he/she claims to be accredited or licensed by this professional body??? Would these people have some sort of “professional indemnity insurance”? I would still be very cautious dealing with someone with this qualification, just as you would be with, for example, financial advisors.

Just as an example from other professions, Archicentre has architects that do pre-purchase building inspections on properties. To do this an architect must have at least 7 years experience in his/her field. In the health field, there are some Master’s degree programs that require 2-5 years of field experience before you become eligible to do the programme.

Not having any prerequisites is quoted as an “advantage” on Deakin Prime website, but I feel it is the biggest flaw!

Any comments, thoughts?

EDIT: My additional comments to PIAA would be to “raise the bar” or the standard, by being more selective as to who can give this advice – we are dealing with novice investors and their lack of knowledge, lack of experience, hard earned money, large deposits and large borrowings into property. Matching these people with equally inexperienced advisors is a recipe for disaster!!!

QUOTED FROM THE DEAKIN PRIME WEBSITE, http://www.deakinprime.com:

“Module 1: Introduction to Property Investment
    Module 1 provides an overview of property investment. This module begins with definitions of advice and discussion of the possible implications of Financial Services Reform, and outlines an approved process for giving property investment advice. The module outlines principles of town planning and land use, discusses architecture and building styles, examines direct and indirect property types, and considers the relationship between economic markets and property markets. The module outlines the principles of property valuation and the factors that should be considered when evaluating a potential investment property, and provides an overview of the main players in the property industry.
    Module 2: Ethical Guidelines and Regulatory Requirements

Module 2 focuses on ethics, legislation and regulation. This module begins with a discussion of Codes of Practice, Codes of Ethics and industry ‘norms’. The module also examines legislation relating to consumers and legislation relating to property. External regulators and their roles are outlined. This module also discusses establishing and complying with organisational guidelines. Other important topics in this module are consumer protection, investment literacy, and due diligence.
    Module 3: Elements of a Property Investment Strategy

Module 3 provides you with the background to enable you to develop a property investment strategy, including principles of investment finance, how property fits into an investment portfolio, property investment strategies and principles of strategy development. This module also explains financial calculations and analysis of returns. Researching and analysing information about property is also explained. Finally, principles of property management and taxation of property are discussed.
    Module 4: Determine Client Requirements and Expectations

Module 4 outlines traditional financial planning processes for determining client requirements and expectations, but it does so with a focus on property investment and the property investment process. The module begins with the client interview and goes on to discuss explaining the property investment process to the client. The module examines how the client’s preferences, priorities and financial situation are determined, how decisions are made about appropriate ownership structures for the client, and how to establish the client’s property investment parameters. The module then outlines formulation of a strategy for a client, presenting recommendations to the client, explaining the principles of ongoing review, and preparing and filing client documentation.
    Module 5: Implement and Manage the Property Investment Strategy

Module 5 discusses the process of selecting a property for the client, showing the property to the client, and negotiating the purchase. This module explains contractual purchase and settlement, financing the property, establishing ongoing management, monitoring the performance of the property investment, and managing contingencies such as time without a tenant or a drop in property prices. The roles of associated people such as solicitors, bankers, insurers, conveyancers, accountants, financial planners and financiers are discussed. Finally, this module outlines processes for reviewing a client’s investment strategy.”

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Participant
    @michaelyardney

GSJ
    You are correct that a short course alone is insufficient to “qualify” anyone to give investment advice.

I don’t think that was the intention.

It is one small step in regulating the industry. Others such as ongoing education, compliance and monitoring will be required.

There will always be people who will get around the regulations.

I am not smart enough to know the answers. I just like the fact that things are moving in the right direction.

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    FREE subscription http://www.propertyupdate.com.au

@xenia

Thanks for this info Michael, it’s very helpful!

what I would like to know is that if you pay the $5000 or so to become a founding member of PIAA and also the $2500 to do their accreditation program, would you then become a qualified property advisor and get ASIC off your back!

Seems to me that experience in the real world does not count for much but doing these BS courses does!!!

I just dont understand that how consumers will be protected by taking advice from someone who is “accredited” by the PIAA. I think the real problem is some consumers really need to be protected from themselves no matter how many courses their advisor has done!!!!

Just my thoughts XXXX[biggrin]

We buy properties in Adelaide. No Agent Fees.
    [email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

@xenia

It could be all about perception!!! If sprukiers are “percieved” to be qualified, then that would give them more credibility whether it is real or not.

Like putting sheep skin over a wolf!!!

[email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

Participant
    @michaelyardney
    Originally posted by Dr.X:

Thanks for this info Michael, it’s very helpful!

what I would like to know is that if you pay the $5000 or so to become a founding member of PIAA and also the $2500 to do their accreditation program, would you then become a qualified property advisor and get ASIC off your back!

Seems to me that experience in the real world does not count for much but doing these BS courses does!!!

I just dont understand that how consumers will be protected by taking advice from someone who is “accredited” by the PIAA. I think the real problem is some consumers really need to be protected from themselves no matter how many courses their advisor has done!!!!

Just my thoughts XXXX[biggrin]

[email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

AT present the PIAA and the course mean nothing.

The government hasn’t come down with its decision on handling the property industry yet.

It may decide that property is caught under the Financial Services Reform Act and then we will need to get a financial planners licence.

That will make it interesting, becuase we all know how much planners know about property.

If the govt decides on self regulation, then the PIAA and its eductaion may be accpeted.

Its too early but I will keep you posted.

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    FREE subscription http://www.propertyupdate.com.au

Profile photo of JITJIT
    @jit

The point has been made a couple of times about people doing their own due diligence. I agree, that’s important.

But, still, any professional in any field must be accountable to somebody. In whatever way, eg. accreditation, licensing, a professional body, etc…

One of the aims of which is to maintain a certain standard of work in that field, and also, to protect the consumer.

Just as an example, when you go and see a doctor, do you do your “due diligence” on them? When the doctor tells you take certain medication, do you then do more due diligence, to make sure they’re not trying to con you???

For most of us, probably not! We assume, perhaps, naievely, that they know what they’re doing!

I think it’s imperative, in a field like property advising, whoever is going to regulate it, ensures a suitable standard is attained.

Less regulation and less “red tape” may be better for those in the business, but, most definitely, not for the consumer.

GSJ

(Do I sound like Neil Jenman?! hehe!)

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.