All Topics / Value Adding / City of Swan – Any tips?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of suzieqsuzieq
    @suzieq

Are there any WA investors out there that have dealt with the City of Swan regarding re-zoning land for subdivision? We have a 1052 sqm block in the shire of Swan and have been told by someone at the council that it is unlikely that re-zoning for unit development would be approved. It is currently zoned R20 Duplex and located on a corner block with driveway access off both streets? Do I need to dig a little deeper here? I have just been combing the area to see whats selling at the moment and noticed that 2 homes on blocks of the same size as ours are zoned R60 and are very close in proximity. Is it a case of “who you know” I wonder or is there a particular way of approaching them that may help my arguement. Any thoughts/tips would be appreciated.

Thanx SQ[anxious]

Profile photo of PrakmanPrakman
    @prakman

Hi SQ,

I also live in the Shire of Swan in Beechboro. It is unlikely that Shire will rezone the area due to the extensive redevelopment of Midland. The council is putting so much effort into that area that they have pretty much neglected much of the rest. You are correct, the current zoning is R20 which would only allow 2 dwellings. My guess is that 10-15 years the whole of Beechboro/ Lockrige will be rezoned to R25/30 which will totally open up the whole area and drive the prices. But until then you may have to sit tight and look for further opportunities elsewhere.

Good luck!

Prakman

Profile photo of WASPWASP
    @wasp

SQ

What area in City of Swan ?

Wasp

Its not what you earn but what you do with what you earn

Profile photo of suzieqsuzieq
    @suzieq

Wasp,

Midvale/Midland border!

sq

Profile photo of Lady BugLady Bug
    @lady-bug

Hi Suzieq
    Council’s generally don’t support spot rezonings which are basically ‘ad hoc’ rezonings within the district and they generally will discourage you from doing so. You may have a case to justify an increased density if you are adjacent to public open space and in close proximity to shops, public transport, etc.
    Hope this helps
    Lady Bug

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Give DOLI in Midland a call and see if you can get any assistance, I’ve always found them helpful.

The other properties close by zoned higher density should help your case from what I’ve heard..

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of kmiddletkmiddlet
    @kmiddlet

Suzy,

We are based in Victoria but invest extensively in WA.

Rezoning is ultimately approved at the WA Planning Commission. Even councils have to submit proposals to the WAPC if they want rezoning in their area.

The process typically takes about 2 years. Your odds of success are not high if the council won’t back you. However it is not impossible.

Generally the kind of increase in density you are seeking is done for a precinct rather than for individual lots. What is known as an Outline Development Plan (ODP) is done for the precinct where the rezoning is specified. Stuff like expected extra infrastructure (power, water, sewerage, drainage), public open space, etc is detailed and usually backed up with consultants reports.

Really, for one 1000sqm lot, it is probably not worth it. Build a duplex on it and find easier pickings somewhere else.

Karl

@suzieq

Thanks to all who have given advice to my question….still debating on what to do with this block. May just sit tight for now – WA is lookin good and the value’s in the area are increasing out Midvale way due to the Midland Infrastructure. Also I heard that a major hospital is to be built on the old railway site in 2008, so thinking of hanging out a bit longer!

Merry Xmas

sq

Profile photo of czerneyczerney
    Participant
    @czerney

I have recently bought in the Midland area – prices have doubled on some residences in the last three years. Midland Gate is due to be finished in about a year – 18 months which will then have cinemas and as has been mentioned, a lot more infrastructure.

I have noticed (within a 5min walk) a number of vacant blocks which are zoned for 4 units going for around $300k asking price.

I also happen to work for the Department of Land Information so getting information is kinda…… well, easy :)

But for those of you who don’t know, you can actually purchase information from the Department of Land Information like.

Sales data on what has sold in any area. You can get buyer/vendor , sale price, sale date, property land descriptors, zoning, etc etc over the counter. Not sure what the per record price is but you can contact them at http://www.dli.wa.gov.au to find out more.

@suzieq

mmm interesting czerney!!! I rang DOLA today and yes they were very helpful. Still considering subdivision, but wondering if anyone had any comments on whether to sell the land as a whole (advertising the subdivision potential), or do you think it would be worth more once subdivided and then sell off each block separately?! I would be interested to get some feedback from forumites on this.

cheers sq[biggrin]

Profile photo of dean64dean64
    @dean64

hi suzieq,
    I was talking to a realestate agent in Midland over the weekend about the price of my block (developed or sold as is etc). She said that developers are paying about 80k per unit building site. Ask anymore and they may not be interested as this means less profit for them. This may not be reliable info, but I guess a good starting place might be to contact a few developers to get a price etc. In my opinion I don’t think for the money we can ask for our blocks that an investor will interested, may be wrong, but the holding costs for a vacant block of land for around 300k would be huge. Good luck to you anyway.
    Cheers Dean[specool]

@suzieq

Hi Dean,

I saw a block in Midvale 501sqm in close proximity to ours for $129,000 in the Sunday Times, so I’m thinkin it may be better to subdivide and sell off individually, especially with the asking prices of land at the moment around Perth. Woodbridge Estate Land Release asking $150 – 175 for their blocks……it makes a Titled “traditional” lot at 501sqm walking distance to Midland Gate attractive don’t you think? I actually think $129,000 is too cheap!! Thanks for your reply, you are probably close to the mark with what a developer may pay, so may have to go down the subdivision path – will ring around to a couple of developers.

SQ

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

City of Swan- Any tips

RedHill and Bayswater

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.