All Topics / Value Adding / Developing in BERWICK, Victoria

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of motherhenmotherhen
    Participant
    @motherhen

hi,
    i have a house with a fairly big backyard in berwick which i would like to develop.but before i even know if council will approve it, i have to spend thousands on surveyors,draftsman, applicatioin forms, etc. is there another way to go about this to ensure i dont’ spend all that money and find out in the end council won’t allow it for whatever reason?

i heard there are building companies who can use their existing designs and vary them a little to fit into your backyard. does anybody know of any such companies. i checked with metricon and they don’t do it.

also, there is a big native tree on the nature strip where i envisage the driveway to the garage to be. apparently council won’t remove native trees. how can i get them to remove this without much hassle?

this is the first time i’m trying to do this so am very nervous about it [stress]

thanx in advance.

http://www.emex.com.au

Profile photo of MortgagemanMortgageman
    Participant
    @mortgageman

Hi Afghangirl,

Unfortunately, there is no way to be sure about council approval until you submit a permit application, and for this you will need plans and a site survey (if you are subdividing). However, you don’t need to spend thousands. You should be able to get some sketches done by a good draftsman for a few hundred dollars. I would also suggest you engage the services of a planning consultant to assist you with this process, you can recieve some preliminary advice as well as an assessment of council’s policy pretty cheaply. At the end of the day, sadly, you will need to wear some financial risk if you’re going to develop but you can reduce this risk considerably by taking the right steps early in the process.

Kind Regards,

Cameron Perry
    Finance Consultant
    F.R. Perry & Associates
    Property, Finance and Town Planning Solutions
    Ph (03) 9662 1999
    Fax (03) 9662 2044

Profile photo of motherhenmotherhen
    Participant
    @motherhen

thanx mortgageman,
    good advice.
    do you know of any draftsman that does the sketches for a few hundred coz i’ve spoken to a couple and they all charge around the $4000 figure for a one unit sketch.

and if you could direct me to a planning consultant that would be great.

thanx in advance.

http://www.emex.com.au

Profile photo of MortgagemanMortgageman
    Participant
    @mortgageman

No problem Afghangirl,

I have sent you an email.

Kind Regards,

Cameron Perry
    Finance Consultant
    F.R. Perry & Associates
    Level 13, 30 Collins St
    Melbourne VIC 3000
    Ph (03) 9662 1999
    Fax (03) 9662 2044

Profile photo of BillyTBillyT
    Participant
    @billyt

hi mortgage man,

I would appreciate it if you could also email me the names of draftsman and planner as I am in a similar situation.

Thanks Billyt
    [email protected]

Profile photo of ToolmanToolman
    Participant
    @toolman

Hi all

I too live in the Berwick area and plan to develope a few sites over the coming years. I would appreciate it if mortgageman could also forward the info to myself. The email address is [email protected]

Good luck afghangirl on your development. As a suggestion, have a look around the area and see what other developers have had approved. If you stick to similar designs to them you shouldn’t have too many problems. I have been closely watching a development of a residential block opposite Akoonah park in order to determine what works and what doesn’t.

Cheers

Profile photo of icarus1icarus1
    @icarus1

I am currently in the process of developing 5 units. I found a builder who’s design i liked got a price from them and then found a draughtsman to site the buildings on the land and prepare the application. The whole process cost $1000 total for the 5 units plus council application fees. Do some ringing around it can be less daunting then you think

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

Bill,

Is the draftsman processing your application for you, or are you doing it yourself? Either way, that is incredibly cheap and if the plans go through OK, I’d love to have the guys contact details. We give out a lot of work to draftsen and architects and usually the good ones are quite expensive.

Regards
    Alistair Perry

Profile photo of icarus1icarus1
    @icarus1

He was processing the application however his lanscape plan needed a boost so i ended up with having to get a landscape architect involved. My costs were;

$1000 draughtsmen
    $1600 sewer plan
    $2000 stormwater plan
    $1200 landscape architect

That includes the feature level survey. Unfortunately the guy is in the country so cant do stuff in melb.

cheers bill

Profile photo of timeastwoodtimeastwood
    @timeastwood

I’m also about to start a dual-occupancy project in West Sunshine. However, I live in Sydney so have no idea of the builders in melbourne. Can anyone recommend a good builder? I’m currently dealing with Nava Homes and Classic Home Constructions.

Thanks,
    Tim

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.