All Topics / Help Needed! / Should I build a duplex in Mount Isa

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of reelygood1reelygood1
    Participant
    @reelygood1

Hi all,
    I have just purchased a property in Mount Isa suitable for a duplex at the rear of property. The completely renovated house needs nothing spent on it and has just been leased for 12 months at $300.00 a week, purchased for $165,000.00 privately.

I can subdivide keeping the house on one block and building on the other, total land area is just over 1000 sqm. I am currently getting plans drawn for duplex which will be 2 bedrooms each. I have been quoted the going rate is about $1200.00 a sqm to build by a couple of builders in the town. I am going to build in split face block with corrugated roof.I have not got any builders prices yet,only verbal rough rate, but would expect anywhere from $280,000 – $350,000 to build, depending on whether patio’s are included in sqm costs, the the total area of duplex is 288sqm including front and rear patio. Brand new 2 bedrooms would rent for $250.00 a week in the current market.

This is my first development as such, but i have bought and sold investment properties a couple of times successfully and would appreciate any thoughts on whether this project sounds a goer?

Here is one of my questions to other forum readers! Has anyone recently built in Mount Isa this type of development, any builders to recommend, any suggestions to save on costs?

Thanks
    Don

djr

Profile photo of ErikaErika
    @erika

I dont know anything about building in Mt Isa but I was just wondering if the tenants you have in the house know you plan to do this as I would be mighty peeved if I just rented the house and you then start building in the back yard.

Profile photo of reelygood1reelygood1
    Participant
    @reelygood1

Hi Erika,
    I should have pointed out that I am rushing to get the plans drawn up and application in, as in Jan 06 the high density zoning changes for the property. I have 2 years after it is approved to build and I would always respect the rights of the tenant. At the moment I am only in the early stages and if I do proceed would either do a deal with the tenant or wait till the lease ran out. Happy to get a cash flow property from day one.
    Regards
    Don

djr

Profile photo of Smart CookieSmart Cookie
    Participant
    @smart-cookie

Hi Don,

I’m looking at Mount Isa, Which agent did you deal with and would you buy from them again?

Kind regards,
    Smart Cookie

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.