All Topics / Finance / deposit interest – how to calculate

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of MRK25TMRK25T
    @mrk25t

The search function on the forum never works for me so apologies if this question has been raised previously.

I think the real estate agent didnt credit me the full interest on my deposit when I purchased my IP.

I had a 6 week settlement period and payed a 10% deposit of $62k after week one.
    This means the the RE agent had the $62k cheque for 5 weeks. I assume it would take them a week to clear the cheque so I the interest on the deposit would be for a period of 1 month.

Just after settlement I recieved a cheque for $41. I was told by the RE agent when exchanging contracts that they invest the deposit and just after settlement they give me 1/2 of the interest and the vendor the other 1/2.

i.e. on $62k invested for 1 month the total interest was $82.

I calculated the interest rate to come to the above figure is about 1.59% which is quite low.

Has someone pocketed some of the interest or is a return of 1.59% normal?

Thanks,
    Mark

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I think an agent pocketing money from a trust account is a serious matter, and probably something they wouldnt do for just $41.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Freddo_frogFreddo_frog
    @freddo_frog

lession learnt? Dont use a large deposit. I never use more that 1k for a deposit.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.