All Topics / Help Needed! / Tax advantages for SAHM investor

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of tgavin71tgavin71
    @tgavin71

HI all, My husband works full time and I am a SAHM to our 2 kids aged 6 and 9. My hubby earns a lot so money wise I think we are fine but hubby wants me to go back to work to get more money to start investing. But I am thinking that I would be better off spending more time learning and doing research. Have anyone of you been in a similar situation and what did you decide? Are there any advantages in putting property in both, his or mine name only? Much obliged. tan

Profile photo of ShwingShwing
    Participant
    @shwing

Hi Tan,
    It really does depend on your investment strategy. If you but an IP that is negatively geared then it’s better to be in Hubby’s name if it’s long term investment, better tax adv. If it’s a purchase for short term capital gains then it may be better in your name, as you would be the one to pay the CGT which may turn out to be none. If it positively geared it may be better in your name.
    however, depending on where the funds will come from for any investments, a lender may not allow an investment to be put in your name alone if, as you have no income, you cannot possibly fund the investment.

Mal

Getting out of your comfort zone, can help you become comfortable

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.