All Topics / Value Adding / subdivision reqirements – council

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of NATS12NATS12
    @nats12

i am doing a subdivision in eastern suburbs of melbourne. I bought the property part way through the permit approval process of subdivision. i think the old owners realised the costs were more than they thought they would be and sold it with the council’s instructions on what has to be met before the subdivision is through.

basically to get it through a garage or carport will need to be constructed at the back of the front house and a sealed driveway put in. what i want to know is once i have done this and start building on the back, the piping and so on will need to be put in to the back property so will this mean i will have to rip the newly laid drive up to do this?? any ideas? nto sure how much space you need for this. there may enough room to have a small garden against the side fence so that they can just dig that dirt up and do it on the side.

i have some time up my sleeve as the tenants won’t be out until end next year, however i need to plan for all this. i’m setting up a meeting with council to discuss but i thought there may be some wisdom from here to get me clued up.

also, this permit is to subdivide but as i plan to keep and rent both properties, would it be possible now to revert back to council and apply for a permit to just construct in the back-yard and not necessarily put the subdivision through yet. i could then complete the subdivision after construction. this would suit me, but will they allow it and can i revert back to that plan now when some drafts have already gone in for subdiviosn from the previous owners?

Profile photo of Investment DetectiveInvestment Detective
    @investment-detective

Hi NATS12

Speaking to the council is an important first step, but they are not going to help you, just tell you what they think you can and cant do. You need to go and see an independant town planner, some one who knows the local council regs back the front and how to work through the rules and loop holes to your advantage.

As far as putting in the services, do it before you put the driveway down, all you need to do up front is get the services from the road to the new block, once there you can sort out later where it needs to go from there. Best to put it under the driveway.

I could be wrong, but I doubt very very much that the council would let you build a second dwelling on a block that has not been subdivided.

Regards

Phil

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney

Lots of properties that were built in the past would not comply with planning and building regulations today.

If you wnat to build a second dwelling in the back yard, even if you don’t sub divide into 2 lots, both the old plus the new dwelling will have to comply with the planning regulations including carparking, open space, access etc hence the need for garages and driveways.

You do not need to subdivide into separate lots if you are keeping both, but it would be wise to do so, and you can do it after comletion of the project.It makes financing easier and gives you options for the future.

The costs of a 2 lot subdivion in Melbourne’s eastern suburbs should be less than $2,000 and a surveyor will do it all for you.

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.metropole.com.au

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

We’ve done a subdivision like you’re talking about with a “battle axe” lot at the back. We needed a 4m wide access driveway to the back which is to be concreted the full length. We also had to upgrade the driveway to the existing dwelling. Your services should be connected first but the Council should include these details in the DA. Ask for a meeting with someone from the building development section.
    Also we needed to install a fire hydrant accross the road to service the house at the rear.

AJBS

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.