All Topics / Help Needed! / Whose repsonsible for the driveway?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi Guys

i’m wondering if anyone knows whose responsible for the driveway on a property. I have an IP in Shepparton Vic and i received an email from my property manager. I have a problem with the drive way near where it meets the road. This is what she said

Tenants from 8 XXX Avenue called into the office concerned about the concrete at the front of the property. Someone has informed them that the step in the concrete section from the curb to the footpath is at a dangerous height and may be a tripping hazard.

The maintenance request states that;
    “edge of cross over has sunk 30 – 35mm. concrete 3.4m across and 350mm deep need replacing with new concrete and dowell bars”.

Westan, I’ll be honest – I know very little about this type of thing so thought I would send some photographs over to let you see the height difference and discuss it from there.

Tenants are not overly concerned, but with the pedestrians heading to the shops across the road – I guess anything is possible.

Ok, My question is given its outside of my properties boundries is it my issue or a council one ?

regards westan

Properties in the USA 15-25% returns- email to join our database [email protected]

Profile photo of recoverymanrecoveryman
    @recoveryman

westan
    the coucil is resonible
    glenn

“I should be content to look at a mountain for what it is and not as a comment on my life” D. Ignatow

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools

That’s a tricky one…..The owner pays for the crossover,which is the concrete from the kerb and channel to the property boundary.The owner pays for this,even though it is on council land,and I think is also responsible for the maintenance thereof.If the problem is in the channel,then it is probably a council issue.Crossovers these days are usualy poured in one piece with the channel being replaced at the same time.I guess the first port of call is to have the council engineers have a look.Make out that it is worse than it is and they will be around like a shot.

Tools

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Sometimes they just whip out a grinder and take the difference off so there is no longer a tripping hazard. I guess that would be the cheapest option.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    ***NODOC @ 7.15% to 70% LVR***
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of GeoffBeckGeoffBeck
    @geoffbeck

Westan,

Welcome home,

Nearly all councils in Oz are heavily insured against accident claims caused by dicky paths and roads. Councils receive hundreds of claims yearly from the publicans resulting from trips and falls due to poorly maintained council paths.

Westan, if the concrete drive/footpath is on council property you can safely say it’s not your problem to fix it, however it maybe your responsibility to report the potential hazard to council though?

Cheers,
    GeoffB

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi Guys

thanks for all who offered advise.

Tools you were spot on. The curb it the councils but the bit between up top the footpath is mine. The council went to inspect it and sadly its my problemto fix.

Drats $225 , oh well.
    It was actually a lot less than i was expecting
    regards westan

Properties in the USA 15-25% returns- email to join our database [email protected]

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi geoffrey

thanks for the welcome home.

is that after i got home from the US to NZ ? or home from NZ to AUST ?

Oh my, i’m getting myself confused. Where do i live ???[B)]

We fly home to Oz in dec

thanks
    westan

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.