All Topics / Overseas Deals / Cities visiting

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

Hi Muppet

I am mainly going to Christchurch and Auckland on this trip. I believe that at this point in the cycle it iss better to invest in areas that have capital growth

Nigel Kibel

http://www.propertyknowhow.com.au

Australian and New Zealand Property Researcher and education
    One Day property investment research workshop just $290 Melb 26 November

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi Nigel

as someone who is living in NZ let me warn you now isn’t the time to be chasing capital growth. The market is about to come to a complete halt. Interest rates are very high here and my well go up further. I’ve been telling people on this forum for months that i’m selling everything i own in NZ as there are better markets than NZ at the moment

regards westan

Properties in the USA 15-25% returns- email to join our database [email protected]

Profile photo of RikkyRikky
    @rikky

Westan I agree I have been looking at the NZ market and see that price are starting to pull back.
    But what upsets me I saw a dolfderoos letter today that showed how he is pushing investors to invest through him in NZ , he is quoting that the market is behind the rest of the world and now is a good time to invest in NZ.
    I don’t think hes package for investors was good at all.

Kind regards Rick

Monopoly, my favourite game

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

Prices are higher than they were that means you have to be more selective on where you buy. Unlike some people I do not buy in second rate locations. I and my clients buy good long term investments. Iagree that the United States offers good opportunities. I am there next week. But unlike you Western I will not be investing in Buffalo

Nigel Kibel

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Hi Guys,

We also live in NZ but dont have a crystal ball.

What the actual numbers are telling us that the housing is still powering ahead.

This is confirmed by the gov’t increase in the cash rate this week.

We all know that the rising housing costs have a significant effect on inflation. The recent rate rises are an attempt to control inflation.

The issue is that business spending is also on the up and consumer confidence is super high. Actually the highest it has ever been. Unemployment is at 3.8 percent or really the lowest in the western world.

So, as you all know the fixed interest rate market is linked to the world price for cash. IE banks fund the fixed rate home owner finance from off shore in dollars , euros or whatever. Most of this cash is from europe but alot of it is coming from asia and australia.

Thus, fixed rates are low and are consistently about 2 percent lower than the variable rate.

This present a problem for the góv’t as increasing the offical cash rate has become a bit of a blunt instruement as home buyer fund their purchases through fixed rates and not variable rates. Get it!

So, the reserve has to increase variable rates alot more than they would in the hope that they can meet their inflationary targets.

What is happening in housing is classic an predictable to a point. Lets not talk about the entire nz market as a whole. To do this would be very naive and frankly stupid. It would be like saying sydney home prices are indicative of what is happening in Perth or the whole of Australia.

We are investors and we are not that silly are we?

Should we buy in NZ now? Do the resaerch yourself and find out. We put up some stats last week saying what is happening in southland and particularly in Invercargill. Cap growth is still there (if you buy the right properties in the right place). There is alot of S#$? on the market at the moment. Frankly it is poorly located trash the is just getting recycled over and over. The only people making money on these deals are the spotters and agents not the investors. If you buy one of these places then good luck to you all. There will be no point having yield because you will plough all the cash and more back into maintenance and in the end noone will want a poorly located property in a flatter market.

On the other hand their are good deals around. For those of you who know Invercargill would know Windsor. We just picked up a 2 story 4 bedroom house yielding 9% easy.

What is the moral. Buy a good property no matter where it is and you will benifit. If you buy crap, well, what can i say but good luck!!!

Cheers

[email protected]
    NZ Investors & Property Spotters
    Renovations & Project Management
    Email now to receive info on the lastest deals!

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Participant
    @nigel-kibel

Dear Don and Liz

I could not have said it better. If you are buying an investment for the long term then what happens in the short term does not matter. I believe that if you can recieve a 6-8% or higher return in a city like Christchurch it will provide you with good long term capital growth. I believe that a this point in the cycle it is dangerous to purchure purly to makre short term gains. I would stay away from regional areas and new apartment buildings in Auckland. I do not believe that there is anything wrong with Invercargal. I do not believe the growth will be great however it provides good returns and is safe.
    My attitude is never to be black and white. Do the research. I must admit I very much like Christchurch as a city. I will be here in Christchurch for a week, I would be happy to meet with any locall property people. After that I am off to Texas. Just me I am not on a cowboy tour. I will ber doing my own research. Three of my colleges have already been there. Once we have done that we may assist others. But we will only do that once we have done all the research and are confident that there ill be no problems.

Nigel Kibel

Email Me | Phone Me

@westan

Hi guys

i might be sensative, but i feel there are a few barbs at me !!

Firstly Nkibel, Buffalo isn’t the only place i’ve been buying in the USA. I suggest you ask the 3 colleges of yours where they first heard of the city you are going to in Texas. Guess what it was from me! Yes thats right just ask them. By the way i love Texas thats why we are sending our clients there. But i also like Buffalo, maybe you should have a look yourself before you take others opinions as facts.
    Also don’t give me this “cowboy tour” rubbish. Are you really doing your own research ? or the advise of the other 3, (actually indirectly its my advise isn’t it). So all the best nkibel make the most of your trip, enjoy those fantastic Texas steaks!
    Oh by the way don’t expect to sort out a “team” in Texas on your first trip. I’ve been investing in Texas since Last year and building a team there since then. I’ve spent a total of 15 weeks in the US in the past 12 months. Its a slow process. Personally i have to invest myself before i even think about sending clients there.

Re NZ, i stand by what i said. Investing ain’t that complicated if there are lots of buyers prices goes up, if there ain’t guess what !
    We are already seeing a drying up of buyers. So best to buy wisely.

regards westan

Properties in the USA 15-25% returns- email to join our database [email protected]

Participant
    @nigel-kibel

Naturally the cowboy now owns Texas

What would we do without you

Bring on the next tour

Nigel Kibel

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @nigel-kibel

For the record we are spending a great deal of our own money on a large investment.I woud not ask anyone to purchase something that I would not purchase myself. Now I wonder if everyone has that attitude

Nigel Kibel

Email Me | Phone Me

@westan

Nigel

Why are you being personally insulting to me ?

regards westan

@westan

Nigel

why do you call it a cowboy tour ?

what do you know about it ?

would you like to hear what the people who were on the tour actually said about it ?
    And more importantly what sorts of investment opportunities we are able to present in Texas ?

I’m finding your personal attacks on my a little annoying.
    Ask your associates Rikky and Cameron if i deserve the sort of treatment you are dishing out. They may be a little annoyed with your form on the forum also ? I actually caught up with Rikki in Texas 3 weeks ago and he seems like a great guy ! And Cameron has been doing a great job in helping our clients with finance.

Remember the purpose of the forum is to seek help and to give assistance.

regards westan

Participant
    @nigel-kibel

You are right Western

It is not my style and for that I am sorry. But you also appear to take a black and white view on New Zealand. I am agreeing that prices have risen. However that does not mean that there are still ghood opportunities in new zealand. My point is that at this end of the cycle you should be trying to buy good quality properties that have a combination of growth and return. If you are investing for the long tern you will make money. I am always prepared to research and travel to investergate a market. I also post here to express a view. However if I have been unfair on you then I aplologise.

Nigel Kibel

Email Me | Phone Me

@westan

Hi Nigel

thank you for the apology, But i’d still like to know where the attack came from ?

In regards to my views on NZ being different to yours. I have always posted the way i see things, certainly i’m talking in gerenalizations and good deals can be made in any market at any time. Those who have been on the forum a long time will know that back in 2003 i was telling people to buy in NZ (this was before i started Property Investing New Zealand Limited). Back in 2003 and was telling people i was selling in Aussie to buy in NZ. Its just my style to tell people what i’m doing with my investment dollars.
    I think its my right to speak my opinion, if you disagree than balance my agreement with your thoughts (not personal attacks because you don’t like what i say).

regards westan

Participant
    @nigel-kibel

We all have different views on investing. You are no doubt doing your best. I may not agree with everything you say however it was wrong of me to attach you the way I did. It does not change my overall position. However it is not my nature to do that. The message that we should be pushing especially to newbys is that it is essentional that they do research before investing.

In New Zealand many people are still buying off the plan apartments in Auckland where they will loose money. It annoys me that people spend there money without doing the research.

Nigel Kibel

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Brisbane 04Brisbane 04
    Participant
    @brisbane-04

Nigel,
    I have spoken to you before in another post when you rubbished the city of Buffalo, you also acknowledged later in the post that you had never visited there but through your “research” and through information from your collegues you dumped on a whole city.I now Know who you were referring to when said about receiving “questionable advice from people who think they know what they are talking about and who may be charging high fees for that advice”from this posting it appears you are directing it towards Westan and Alvin. I was one of the members on the tour, and I can recommend it thoroughly. We met many people, and spoke to all the people you want to speak to if you want to invest there.I’m not going to give specifics but only to say it was well worth it, and I have subsquently invested there. To question someones character like Westans and Alvins takes either a lot of b###s or is stupidity. I find that these two gentleman acted both sincerely and with the utmost integrity. But dont just take my word please do a search here at propertyinvesting to look into their characters. For one property a number of the tour including Westan and Alvin have put our money together and we are in the process of purchasing it. Those people on the tour have all got propertyinvesting backgrounds, there was a developer, and others who hold multiple properties. Just a quick note on myself, my wife and I have been investing in residential property for the past 13/14 years buying, holding and selling property. We have bought in Bendigo, Rockhampton, and Cairns. Owning up to 7-8 properties at a time.I was hoping to invest in New Zealand a year or more ago but unfortunately didnt have the confidence to take the step of investing in another country on my own. I have regretted it since. I now have the opportunity to invest overseas once again and with the assistance of Alvin and Westan. But buying sight unseen and through people I havent met and people that were going to manage my investment was a bit too much,thats why I jumped at the opportunity to go with Alvin and Westan and havent regretted it.This is my opinion and those investing in USA should of course do due diligence and as much research as you can. By doing this this can reduce your exposure to risk on your investment. Thats why I chose to resarch the area, visit the area, meet the people who would be managing the property, spoke to a number of people who lived in the city,met solicitors, bankers, fellow investors, etc etc.Good luck Nigel on your research mission I only hope you can live up to your expectations. Martin

There are 3 types of people:1. People who make things happen.
    2. People who watch what happens.
    3. People who wondered what happened.

@westan

Hi Guys

Thanks for your thought Brisbane 04.

Nigel your email has change tact and you are pushing research. Lets go with that.

I agree research is essential. I encourge everyone to do research. You will find that we are very honest about the areas in NY where we are investing in that they have had populastion loss over the past 30 years (now growing again), have been through incredible economic hardship (thats why its so cheap) and had little capital growth (but the latest figures out show 5% for the past 6 months). So don’t give readers the appearance that we don’t encourage research.
    In fact many of our clients have been researching the US for 12 months and the tour was one final part of their research. they have decided to go and look at the place themselves. As i’ve said many times i knew about the opportunities in Buffalo back in mid 2004 but was put off by some of the data and chose Texas to invest first myself. It was only when i thought what if Buffalo is ok that i go back on a plane and headed over and then i was very impressed with that i found. In relation to Buffalo the more someone bag a place without knowing the place, it actually reflects on them more that the place they are talking about.
    OK research on Texas, how can you imply that i don’t encourge research ? The 250 people that attended our USA investing meetings back in April in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane know that we do reaserch. i shared with them all why i was investing in one particular city in texas (i’m not going to mention here the cities name but i did back in April). And I also shared the negative info on Buffalo !
    Remember that you are implying we don’t do/or encourge research yet its my initial research that you have picked up on and are now heading over to Texas all excited about it.
    I spent months research the USA last year, mainly from the internet and phone calls, I spent 100’s of hours learning as much as i could before i even got on a plane to visit the cities i’d singled out.
    However i also encourge others to do their research also.
    One thing thats really helped improve the odds for me with investing is to do the research. Back in the early 2000 i was researching areas like Hamilton in Victoria (because of the Mineral Sands projects. In 2003 i was researching areas of NZ and invested in towns like Marton because of some new industries moving to the areas. These ivestments doubled in less than 2 years. If you want clarification lock up 29 harris st marton which the public records will show i bought in sept 2003 for 42 K and i sold in sept 05 for 106K, and i spent nothing on it. So yes the power is research is tremendous.

One final comment when you put down our tours you actually put down those who attended ! We had high quality people on these tours with incredible investing experience. I enjoyed learning from them !
    So you not only put down those on the tours but also the hundreds of others who wanted to go but weren’t able to given the short notice and the quick take up of places.

Regards Westan

Profile photo of Luke TaylorLuke Taylor
    Participant
    @world-changer

Hey guys,
    Can I be a part of this!!
    Yes I can vouch for Westan and Alvins honesty and Integrity BIG TIME!
    I have dealt with these guys and attended their first tour to the motherland Us of A!!
    The tour was Awesome !
    I have been investing in property for 10 yrs in Oz myself and doing +cashflow for 6 yrs.( semi retiring at age 27.)
    So I wont listen to just anyone.
    These guys have the runs on the board and obviosly as they are still researching some areas of the US while on the go as it is so HUGE,but they have the wisdom to know which ways to go and which ways to hold off from.
    I know for a fact that Westan likes to check out the fine details on specific deals for his clients(especially if they are out of the ordinary line of his already personally checked areas.)and he will recommend his clients not to buy if there is any doubt.
    The other thing you have to remember is these guys take a big responsability on their shoulders of leading investing tours and Buyers Agenting.If you take the opportunity to have a chat to them some time you will understand they dont take this lightly.

I like the fact they have the guts to go for it too!

Regards Dematio.

P.S Also there is plenty of propertys and opportunities out there for everyone to enjoy together without putting others down.

We’ve got 70 yrs on planet earth,Lets make the most of every day!

Luke Taylor | Hope Property Investing
    http://hopepropertyinvesting.com
    Email Me

Property Support,Strategist and Buyers Agent

Participant
    @nigel-kibel

use the force luke

Nigel Kibel

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of CastleDreamerCastleDreamer
    Participant
    @castledreamer

Interesting thread guys, thanks for bringing it back in focus. I dont know if Nigel and Westan have met ever in the flesh, but knowing Westan and his family for the past couple of years, I am happy to vouch for his good intent and actions. I spent a week in the US with Westan and some others last month. Cowboy Tour? Not at all. Certainly we visited some places that i would not invest in, but then I am not you (the other readers here) and we all have our own investment criteria and journeys. I will be investing in the USA and I will be accessing the networks provided by my colleagues. I really do not see the need to go out and reinvent the wheel if it is already rolling well where i need to be. I am a full time investor, this is what i do for a living. But i dont feel the need to have to go and do it myself if i can leverage my time and money on the joint efforts of a team of people and a network of capable contacts. Westan is able to provide me with that, in the same way that i have provided that in NZ for the past year or more for NZ investors. I see that as opportunity. I am a higher risk investor. I will take chances and invest where others may not – but it is with good investigation and due diligence.
    this has been an interesting thread. lets keep the focus on topic though.

Cheers
    Lisa

Cheers
    CD
    CastleDreamer
    Find out more about New Zealand investing… go to http://www.nzpropertytogo.com

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.