All Topics / Help Needed! / Request to remove palm tree

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Hello all
    can you give me some advice.
    One of my IPs has a tall palm tree in corner of block. Neighbour wants it removed, stating that it is a fire risk and has written to my PM on a number of occasions now.

The cost to remove this could possibly be $1,000+.

Have phoned Council they are not interested.

Is there a government body that can establish whether fire risk or not.

I notice many properties in the area with palm trees similar size.

I would say the neighbour is not happy with the palm tree dropping dead palms from to time to time.

Appreciate your help
    M[biggrin]

Profile photo of Fast LaneFast Lane
    @fast-lane

Hey Marisa,

Typically the CFA will come out and tell you whether it’s a fire risk free of charge as part of their community service, fire prevention initiatives etc.

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

g7,
    thanks that’s great.

cheers,

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Marisa,
    I was going to suggest the local Fire Brigade or Vollies might do the same.
    Perhaps inviting the neighbour to a BBQ (on you) to discuss the situation might solve the issue?!
    My old man is not the easiest person to get along with (ask any-one who knows him), but he used to just yell back at people “.. shut up, grab some beers and come over for a BBQ..” amazingly this has always worked for him.

Just another one of those “outside the square” ideas.

Cheers
    C@34

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to always try something one more time.
    – Thomas Edison

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter
    Originally posted by calvin@thirty4:

Marisa,
    I was going to suggest the local Fire Brigade or Vollies might do the same.
    Perhaps inviting the neighbour to a BBQ (on you) to discuss the situation might solve the issue?!
    My old man is not the easiest person to get along with (ask any-one who knows him), but he used to just yell back at people “.. shut up, grab some beers and come over for a BBQ..” amazingly this has always worked for him.

Just another one of those “outside the square” ideas.

Cheers
    C@34

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to always try something one more time.
    – Thomas Edison

That is exceptional advice. I believe that most issues are due to a failure to communicate and to try to understand the other party’s perspective.

Is much less easy to be unreasonably demanding with someone you know. So a meal and a few beers can make the world of difference.

Well done Calvin!

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    ***NODOC @ 7.15% to 70% LVR***
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

I bet Calvin’s ol’ man doesn’t have squirrels for neighbours like I have…who are all tee-totalling, Act quoting solicitor wannabes.

They’d drag his sorry ar$e in court for defamation of character and inducement of an intoxicating substance whilst trying to subterfuge an upper hand in domestic litigation.

I’d be up for it though, I’d sell my own mother for a good ol’ chop and snag, and maybe a bit of pav for sweets…[biggrin]

Back to Marisa’s question, I reckon the solution is pretty clear ;

1. Neighbour wants tree removed.
    2. Cost to remove is +/- $ 1,000.

Solution : Neighbour pays $ 1,000 to have tree removed.

What’s the big deal ??? Oh, as usual people want to impose their will on others, but expect the ‘others’ to pay for it….hence drama.

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Dazzling – hehehe I haven’t heard so many big words in one sentnce since I stoped studying! Brings back memeories, tho [party][grad][puke][sick3][party]

Hehehe

Cheers
    C@34

– Thomas Edison

Profile photo of PenPen
    @pen

Hi Marisa

You should find out if someone wants to remove the palm and relocate it. Depending on what sort of palm it is, they can be worth big bucks.

Not sure who does this, perhaps a google search.

Palms have a small rootball, so can be dug up.

Something for you to think about.

Cant imagine it being a fire risk.

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

I had the same suggestion as Pen; we had no trouble digging up our palm trees a couple of years back because they were getting too big for the spot they were in. We then replanted them in another spot. Tell your neighbours that they are welcome to dig it out and you could plant it further away from their house.

Hehe igniting a BBQ under the palm tree is also a great idea. Throw me the matches, neighbours![cigar]

Celivia

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Many thanks for your suggestions.

I met the neighbour about 1 month ago.

Inviting her to a BBQ is absolutely out of the question!!!!

After a short conversation, I got the impression she was unstable, and my PM also agreed.

The neighbour has harrassed PM for some time now about the palm tree.

When she saw me 1 month she asked me to remove the brick BBQ, as a potential thief could climb on this and break into her house.

It actually crossed my mind that she may even try to torch the palm tree.

Advertising free palm does not work for me …. from previous experience. Most people could not be bothered.

At this point in time I am only interested in protecting myself/property.

I also do not want her to annoy/harass my new tenant.

Dazzling, I am going down this road, and will be drafting letter to PM on Monday. She wants it removed she can pay for it.

I’ll keep you all posted.

Profile photo of grossrealisationgrossrealisation
    @grossrealisation

hi Marisa
    I like things outside the box so I have got a cure for your problem send a letter to your neighbour inviting them to the bbq on a set date the get dazzling to come round invite him also when he turns up and she doesn’t send him to get her.
    tell him to use the bbq area to get over the fence.
    she will think he is the thief and run over to your house for help.
    then as the good neigbour that you are you help her calm dazzling down because by this time he will be yelling at here what a marxist, lenonist squirrels for neighbours like I have…who are all tee-totalling, Act quoting solicitor wannabes.

They’d drag his sorry ar$e in court for defamation of character and inducement of an intoxicating substance whilst trying to subterfuge an upper hand in domestic litigation.
    etc so give him a beer and her a single malt scotch by the time both are settled the tree will everyones last concern and tell the neighbour that the next complaint dazzaling will deal with it.
    problem cured

here to help

Profile photo of Fast LaneFast Lane
    @fast-lane

Marisa,

If you think she’s unstable and a bit ‘close to the edge’ you could always put a surveillance camera half way up the tree pointing straight at her house.

Or if that fails you could always do what Gross said and get Dazzling over there to have a chat. I’d suspect she wouldn’t bother you, your PM or your new tenant for much longer…[grrr]

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling
    I like things outside the box

You most certainly do my friend. You’re one in a million Mr gross.

Your posts always bring a smile to my face…after about 5 minutes or so…being forced to re-read 4 times what the hell you are going on about. Onya matey.

Profile photo of grossrealisationgrossrealisation
    @grossrealisation

yep here to help

here to help

Profile photo of suzieqsuzieq
    @suzieq

I love the creative suggestions re: the palm tree – having a giggle always gets the endorphins going! So Marisa have you advertised ‘Free Palm if you remove’ in the Quokka at all? That way its not costing you to advertise week after week. I’ve got a neighbour that regularly removes unwanted plants and re-plants at the end of our cul-d-sac for street appeal!! I’ll ask if he’s interested if you like?

sq

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Hi Suzieq, I also had good laugh, made my day. Thanks gross.

I dont plan to advertise – “free palm”, as it happens to be next to the swimming pool. I would not want anyone to possibily damage pool.
    I have also advertised free palm in past with another property and had no luck.

I have decided to follow Dazzling’s advice, “if she wants it removed she can pay for it”.
    I have a good feeling that this strategy is going to work with this person.
    I’ll let you know what happens..

Thanks everyone for help and laughs

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.