All Topics / Help Needed! / Skiing – Love it

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of PenPen
    @pen

Down at Thredbo, recently.

Skied and looked at units for sale.

Returns around 4-5%, any ideas about capital gain.

What else do I have to consider about this sort of investment ? Anyone else got a unit, lodge in the ski fields ?

P who likes to ski.

Profile photo of ShwingShwing
    Participant
    @shwing

Love Skiing also,

I’ve got forced holidays over Christmas and New Year and am seriously considering taking off to Canada with the wife to catch a bit of the white stuff. Managed to squeeze a week at Queenstown NZ in August, wasn’t the best snow but perfect weather.

I don’t think we are going to see the same type of boom in Capital that say Queenstown in NZ has had, purely because its not an all year round type of place. Queenstown is though, summer is just as big as winter. Plenty of reputable Kiwi’s from accross the ditch that would be happy to point you out in the right direction over there. Much better Skiing also. + No Stamp Duty.

Mal

Getting out of your comfort zone, can help you become comfortable

Profile photo of Fast LaneFast Lane
    @fast-lane

Hey Pen,

There was a post about these types of properties a little while ago. The thread does trail off a bit because of some idiot posting about one of his houses out in the snow fields…

Anyway, here’s the link

Hope this helps…G7

Profile photo of PenPen
    @pen

G7

Looked at your link, thanks kindly.

Saw your posting, you funny chap.

P

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Pen,

As always with holidaylocation investments – grab a large paper bag, fill it with air, put the bag up to your mouth and hold it there while taking 10 deep breaths.

When you have completed this – and you are still considering the property as an investment. Do lots and lots of research.

A property in a holiday location does not always make a good investment and all decisions need to be made well after the seduction has taken place.

Derek
    [email protected]
    http://www.pis.theinvestorsclub.com.au
    0409 882 958

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Derek is spot on as usual.

Holiday syndrome is a well known investment mistake with people buying all sorts of investments usually on the coast.

Whilst buying on the coast is not the error – it is the emotions associated with the fun holiday etc that lead some to make an ill thought out and poorly researched buy.

Yimeshare pushers used this to their advantage when approaching holidaymakers on the street at the Gold Coast!

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    ***NODOC @ 7.15% to 70% LVR***
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of grossrealisationgrossrealisation
    @grossrealisation

hi pen
    never ever buy investment real estate because you like it or you want to live in it buy it because its a good investment you may find one in the snow fields but do the figures and leave a bit in the margin for climate change.
    These are not one of my favorite investments either.
    Having said that if everyone isn’t liking or looking there then you may find a gem.
    go hunting

here to help

Profile photo of SnowySnowy
    Participant
    @snowy

Hi Pen,

As I am down this way I guess I know a little about the Ski fields.

It is very seasonal, & this season wasn’t as good as last year. But that happens.
    The weather patterns are a risk as we have no control over them. (If only we did!)

I don’t have any IP’s up there, but I’ve talk to someone that has got one.
    Anyway this is what I know, hope it helps you a little.

I have heard that the fees to maintain them are quite high. They charge you for this & that, then add a little more on.
    To get the cleaning done is tricky too. They really have this in the can up there as not much competition. Therefore charging owners a high price.
    Parking is an issue.
    Check it out with the main resort up there, give them a call & find out the charges.

Very busy in winter & very quite in summer.
    But it is open all year round, so that’s an advantage.
    They hold lots of different things over summer & is still very pretty up there no matter of the time of year.

Just really do your research & find out all the little costs.

The area is great & I enjoy skiing, but I do need alot more practice. Always next year though.

Good luck with it all.

Snowy

Snowy | Cre8tiv Home Styling
    http://cre8tivhomestyling.com.au

Profile photo of PenPen
    @pen

Thanks fellas for your valuable advice.

Cost are high, it seems.

I will do lots of checking before I buy.

Pen

Profile photo of 30pc30pc
    Participant
    @30pc

Also Pen check out what type of title they have. If they are on leasehold (correct term?) you might have difficulty getting finance. Suggest you check this out as part of your DD. Not sure if this issue was covered in the other thread.

Profile photo of RikkyRikky
    @rikky

Love snow boarding myself but just remember business is business and plesure is pleasure don’t mix the 2 if the figure don’t add up

Monopoly, my favourite game

Profile photo of PenPen
    @pen

Yes, the property was a leasehold unit, down at Thredbo.

Guess I will have to be content with looking forward to yearly skiing visits…..only 49 weeks to go now.

P

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Hi All
    2 weeks before this snow season started, I visited Jindabyne & Thredbo. My purpose was to find a holiday unit for my family to use 1-2 weeks of the snow season plus other times of the year, and to let out during the remainder of the snow season through local agents / agencies. No doubt it’s a beautiful place. However, the ROI on investment properties lost its shine with the excessively high booking commissions and other charges raked off by the local booking agencies. Because you’re at such a distance, and during the 16 week snow season, there are difficulties visiting some areas, they take advantage. The typical ROI on a unit in Thredbo or Jindabyne is 4% if you’re lucky. The Cap gains have plateaue’d.
    However, if you live there and can handle all the matters yourself it’s a big cost saving on : cleaning, booking fees, key handover, deposits, final payments, outgoing inspections, minor repairs & maintenance.
    Not worth the trouble and risk for me.
    cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.