All Topics / Forum Frolic / Outta the way moron, I’m an Australian!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of Fast LaneFast Lane
    @fast-lane

This has just popped up about the perception versus the reality different people from different countries have about themselves.

Aussies not sane after all
    October 10, 2005

AUSTRALIANS perceive themselves as the most emotionally stable people in the world – but this is more myth than reality.

Research, published in the journal Science, compared a country’s perception of its national character with personality profiles and found most people failed to live up to their nation’s stereotype. Like most countries, the study found Australians’ view of themselves was highly exaggerated.

“Australians thought they had the lowest levels of neuroticism than any person in the world,” said academic psychologist Jane Shakespeare-Finch, who led the Australian component of the research. “We think we’re highly emotionally stable. We think we’re rocks but … we’re actually somewhere around the middle in that department.

“It’s not that we’re unstable. We’re just average.”

And although Australians rated themselves more highly extroverted than other nations the Northern Irish topped the world in that regard.

Germans felt they were more conscientious than they actually were and Canadians turned out to be much less agreeable than they thought they were.

Moreover, I’ve compiled my own list of witty observations about people from different parts of the country through my travels…

People from Sydney think they are good, it’s not that way at all, it’s just that they live in a good city,
    People in Brisbane who stay up past 10pm think they’re living life in the fast lane,
    People on the Gold Coast make Big Brother contestants seem respectable,
    People up the coast in Queensland are the happiest of all because they’e still oblivious to their own ignorance, maybe that’s why it’s calling itself the ‘smart state’,
    Those in Adelaide spoil what is otherwise a really decent city,
    Perth dwellers are all hunter gatherers who still worship the sun,
    Tasmanians are just grateful their air supply hasn’t been shut off from the mainland yet and,
    Melburnians are the most advanced, intelligent and articulate species on Earth…

What is your perception???

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

interesting division of the states g7. How did you arrive at those conclusions. Hope you had large sample numbers to test, otherwise your study might be statistically irrelevant![biggrin]

We buy properties in Adelaide. Immediate Cash Settlements, No Agent Fees.
    [email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.