All Topics / Forum Frolic / Ever Lost Your Cool

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Just saw that movie “40 yrs old virgin” Its a cack.

There is a scene in the film where the female lead loses her cool with a tele marketer?? won’t spoil it.

Has anyone ever lost their cool when one of these people call you.

[email protected]
    NZ Investors & Property Spotters
    Renovations & Project Management
    Email now to receive info on the lastest deals!

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

yes especially when you blatantly tell them that you are not interested and they keep trying to convince you that you are!!!!!!

We buy properties in Adelaide. Immediate Cash Settlements, No Real Estate Agents, No Fees.
    [email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

Profile photo of PeteJackiePeteJackie
    Participant
    @petejackie

Something I used to find very hard to say no to were the various charities (worthy as they are) ringing up trying to send you raffle tickets.

That was until a friend suggested tackling it this way. “Thank you so much for the offer, however I wont be participating”

Saying thank you is much easier than saying no!

Try it.

Cheers,
    Pete

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Of late we have been receiving tele-marketing calls from India. This is classic for me ‘cos I deal with TCN’s all the time at work.

When they try and convince me to buy whatever it is they are flogging, I insist that they go through the ingredients….one by one….for a good traditional Madras curry.

They normally just hang up themselves….good for a little destress session and you don’t feel guilty ‘cos they hung up – not you…not that I feel guilty from hanging up mind you…but if they are paying for the call, what’s wrong with a culinary chat I say ??

trick is – play the game – have some fun….whatever you do don’t let them wind you up…they’ve been trained like to handle that and fend off any and all of your jibes.

D&L…haven’t heard the word ‘cack’ for about 20 years….and don’t think I’ve ever read it. Nice to see some Ozzy slang, instead of all that American drivel.

Cheers,

Darryl Moore

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Yeah, where do all these old words come from?

Has anyone every hung up and had them ring back and say “I’m sorry but I think we were cut off”. I have heard this story a few times but I’m not sure if its just an urban ledgend.

[email protected]
    NZ Investors & Property Spotters
    Renovations & Project Management
    Email now to receive info on the lastest deals!

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of camdercamder
    Participant
    @camder

Greetings All,
    I think the best one is when the person on the other end of the line doing the telemarketing is not a person at all— and the machine asks you to “hold on for a very important call” OR, after initiating the call they tell you all the operators are busy now if you could just “hold on pls because this call is important to you”
    YEAH RIGHT!!!

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

Hehe, no I haven’t lost my cool (yet), and usually play around a little- I like being a broken record: “Sounds very interesting, but sorry, I am not interested.”
    Then they come up with some more points to make me crave their product or service, and I say the same thing: “Sounds very interesting, but sorry, I am not interested.”

I like the calls in where they tell you that you have “won” something.
    Last week this guy told me that I had won a free mobile phone (probably with such and such plan or contract that they try to sign you up for).
    I said: “Nice, thanks for the offer, but you can give it to someone else coz I already have a mobile.”
    Then they suggest *I* give it to someone else- to a partner, a child, a parent, a friend.
    I keep telling them that everybody I know already has a mobile.
    Of course, their mobile, which is ready to be send to me right now, is a much better, newer one, the *latest* with lots of thingies and functions that my old mobile phone does not have (assumingly).
    Hehe, I say : “I like to keep things simple in life.”
    But of course, perhaps my partner, friends, parents, kids will like the functions on THIS phone and it would make a great present from me to them and they would love me for it.
    “No thanks, I am not interested.”
    He suggests that I keep their free phone for the time my old phone gives up on me.
    I say, “good idea, but I am not interested”.
    Finally, he says: “I guess you are not interested in this beautiful, free phone with all the latest functions and a money-back guarantee.”
    Hehe, I say: “What money back guarantee, I thought this was totally free?”
    Suddenly he gathers that I am not interested and ends the conversation. Too much fun!

I’ve been offered free carpet cleaning, sofa cleaning (SURE!), free holidays, free water testing, now this free phone…. just waiting for someone to ring me on my crappy old phone to offer me a free property next, hehe.
    Me look forward to that!
    Me does like the simple things in life.[biggrin]

Celivia

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

want to have fun with annoying telemarketing phone calls/letters/emails????

just order one of Jamie mcIntire’s “free” books or videos.

These poor suckers have actually paid a franchise fee for the privilage of marketing for him and they get so upset, when you tell them you are not interested in doing the course after they sent you a free book!!!

We buy properties in Adelaide. Immediate Cash Settlements, No Real Estate Agents, No Fees.
    [email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

Profile photo of Fast LaneFast Lane
    @fast-lane

I’ve had a governement department keep ringing chasing me for surveys into demographics etc. When I said I’m busy, cant do it now etc. they’re like when do you get home tomorrow, we’ll ring you then etc. [grrr]

I finally just hung up on them mid-sentence and they never called again. With surveys like this, if you decide to partake, I’ve heard that you’re obligated to keep doing so or you can be up for some fines etc. It’s not enough to do just one, you’ve got to keep doing them.

So beware, if they call you, bite the bullet then and there and just hang up!

Profile photo of DannyboyDannyboy
    Participant
    @dannyboy

Regarding the Telemarketers from India.

You have to remember that they get paid less than 2 dollars an hour and can hardly afford to put food in there families stomachs and have a roof over there heads.

So next time you decide to be rude to these people because they called you during dinner, just remember that they probably can’t afford to eat dinner that night.

Daniel

Profile photo of NobleoneNobleone
    @nobleone

Hi All,

When the tsunami caused all that devastation in December I donated $300 to medicines sans frontiers… Anyway last week they phoned me to make me aware of the plight of the people of Sudan… I listened courteously and then said I am prepared to chip in to assist when natural disasters strike but I will not help to pay the bill when politics and international arms dealers have created the problem… Oh and by the way can you stop mailing me your newsletters, I didn’t ask for them and the money you’re wasting mailing them to me could probably be better spent helping the people in Sudan…

Annoys me to think just because you’ve helped out once that you are a soft target for future donations.

I’ll get off my soapbox now…

Cheers, Nobleone [biggrin]

“Making mistakes is just another another tool for learning.”

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

I haven’t had many calls of late!

When they start their sales pitch I listen for a short while and then excuse myself as one of my Children is about to kill the other, and put the phone down.

Nobody has lasted 20 minutes yet. Done it three times so far and they must be taking me off their list as I havn’t had any calls; at all! I hope the last call wasn’t my friend!…..

No need to loose your temper!

Cheers
    C@34

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to always try something one more time.
    – Thomas Edison

Profile photo of Fast LaneFast Lane
    @fast-lane
    Originally posted by Dannyboy:

You have to remember that they get paid less than 2 dollars an hour and can hardly afford to put food in there families stomachs and have a roof over there heads.

So next time you decide to be rude to these people because they called you during dinner, just remember that they probably can’t afford to eat dinner that night.

Daniel

Then maybe if they all starve to death, then they’ll stop ringing! [satan][satan][satan]

No seriously though, did anyone see that story on Today Tonight about that scorned Indian telemarketer that kept calling that lady at 3 in the morning and abusing her, it was a classic.

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Daniel

Oh, dry your eyes Danny….you obviously know nothing about the real situation if you fell for that sob story.

Asking for an irrelevant Madras curry recipe when being asked to listen to an equally irrelevant sales pitch is in no way rude. Once again NO is a very powerful word.

If you are so concerned about the plight of the average Indian citizen, I suggest you get cracking and start helping them. With 1.1 billion people, I hope you have deep pockets.

Bottom line, don’t sit in your comfy western culture and think you know anything of the real situation over in non-western cultured countries.

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

Daniel, Think you will find they get paid less than that. Probably works out to be $2 a day but the point remains the same and sympathise.

I get stacks of calls at home and cannot say with any conviction if they are calling from India or just down the road. Either way, I resent getting repeated calls from the same company after I have said “no thanks, I’m not interested” then “I’m sorry, I really am not interested” and finally “put your boss on the line so I can tell him or her I am not interested and take me off your list”.

My girlfriend simply says No thanks and hangs up which is effective.

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

I’m never rude – I’ve had too many crap jobs in my time.

I tell them that I have already had my quota of unsolicited calls for the day and I can’t talk to them. That usually ends it quickly and amicably.

And if I’m cooking, eating, playing with kids etc, I just don’t answer the phone. Easy.

Scott

Tax Depreciation Schedules
    Australia wide service
    1300 660033
    [email protected]
    http://www.depreciator.com.au

Profile photo of roborobo
    @robo

If you have a caller id phone the calls from India come up as unavailable. I usually have a bit of fun with them ask them about where they live, family etc. At first they say from Australia but after a while they tell you. The other night a guy rings you know the real indian english voice, after a while he put me onto another guy and fairdinkum he sounded like a aussie it was quiet funny and we had a good laugh. i told him to put his mate back on i liked his voice better. My wife gets annoyed at me.
    Robo

Profile photo of ShellbyShellby
    @shellby

Hi,
    we’ve often taken a leaf out of ‘Seinfeld’s’ show and have asked them to leave their personal name and phone number, so that we can ring them back at a time that suits us. When they say they can’t possibly do that, we reply well now you know how we feel, and simply hang up!
    No need to lose your cool!!
    Cheers Shellby

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Hi Don and Liz,
    I’ve been looking forward to that film. I’ll be seeing it Friday so I’ll give you my verdict.
    Cheers,
    Gatsby.

“Sometimes the hardest thing to do in life is often the best thing to do.”

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Well I’ve just read this whole thread and something must be wrong with me man. I’ve been by the phone ‘all day’ and no one’s called me! At all! Next telemarketing/Sub Continental call that I get, I’ll be complaining!
    “What took you so long? Aren’t I good enough to hassle? Save your breath, I’m buying it anyway!”
    I’m actually going to India on the 28th. I’ve been a couple of times and to be honest, there must be something wrong with me if everyone’s getting all these telemarketing calls.
    (True story). Last time I was walking down Janpath Lane in Connaught Place and all I could hear was this guy yelling out, ‘Heroin, heroin, coke, coke, heroin,…….(top of his lungs).
    I walk past him and he looks at me and says,…… ‘Glue?’ GLUE?-I was embarrassed to death!!
    “I can afford your bloody heroin mate! I’m doing my laundry right now! “COME HERE MR DEALER, COME HERE!! SEE THIS, IT’S MY ATM CARD. I’M GOING TO GO ACROSS THE STREET AND SHOW YOU MY BALANCE! (Then I think I’ll buy glue from that little guy over there!!) Sorry, but I was humiliated at the time.
    Cheers,
    Gatsby!

“Sometimes the hardest thing to do in life is often the best thing to do.”

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.