All Topics / Help Needed! / Can someone help analyse this deal

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of stargazerstargazer
    Participant
    @stargazer

Hi all

I am having some difficulty analysing this deal. The reason will beecome apparant.

Adelaide CBD

Torrens Title Townhouse
    3 bedroom
    4 years old
    fully furnished
    under roof car park walk in
    two storey
    80squ metres
    two bathrooms
    two toilets

This is in a group of 48 townhouses each row is a group of 12 set up looks nice.

out of the 48 approx 20 are run as short term accomodation the rest are either residential or owner occupied.
    Asking price
    $275000

Residential tenancy
    $390 a week

Outgoings
    council rates..1300pa
    water rates….700pa
    company title for shared driveway 340pa
    Emerg serv levy 80pa
    Current PM 7%pa
    Lease expires November 2005

What i am having difficulty with is the reason it is getting a good rent is because it is fully furnished. The current market non furnished rate is 290-310 a week.

How is the best way of doing the numbers on this.

Your help would be appreciated.

Kind regards
    SG

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways Beer in one hand – Pizza in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO!”

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

Hi SG,
    at a price of $275,000 and $390 rent, which is best case scenario, it is negatively geared and already loosing money!

The rent expires in November, what is the expected vacancy rate? Will you be renting it furnished again?

Is this a short term renal property or is it long term.

Also you havent said anything about the management fees.

at $275,000 this is above the median price for Adelaide, you could get a 3br house with LAND underneath it, for under that price in a growth area like Halet cove!!! Is $275,000 a bargain for these types of town homes? what are others selling for?

Personally, I never touch strata titles, I like free standing, the value is in the land!!!

I wouldnt buy it!!!!!

We buy properties in Adelaide. Immediate Cash Settlements, No Real Estate Agents, No Fees.
    [email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

@xenia

sorry, just noticed you said torrens title not strata, the 48 townhouses threw me!!!!

still personally, I wouldnt buy it!!!

We buy properties in Adelaide. Immediate Cash Settlements, No Real Estate Agents, No Fees.
    [email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

Profile photo of grossrealisationgrossrealisation
    @grossrealisation

hi stargazer
    give me vacancy rates in the this complex and the area,growth or potential growth for this type of unit in the area not typical growth it must be what town houses sold in that area for the last 12 months.
    rental term and what has been the rental term for the last 3 years,
    management fees, insurance fees, cost to re furnish.demographics for the area ie young, mid old aged and is it easy to rent to some one else.
    work these out and then if the above calcs out that you have a high growth product even if neg it still maybe a good buy depending on you personal position and check out with an accountant

here to help

Profile photo of Jen1Jen1
    @jen1

Hi All,
    I too have a rather large and scary project (as a newbie) that I’m excited about and would like some advice on a block of strata titled units.

Cost 1.35M firm [uneasy]
    Stamp Duty ~60K
    Interest ~100K

Currently -cf but I plan to sell two units (put back into loan to reduce interest) and furnish others to bring total income to +cf by $300pw.

Question: I’m having trouble coming up with enough equity (although I should have about $146K equity if I pay mortgage insurance). Any suggestions????

Also, how is the best way to make the quick sales. Can I request a long settlement and put the 2 units on the market before settling??? Any other ideas.

Sorry, but I have never ever tried to do anything like this! Can’t stop shaking but really excited. Anyway, to make matters worse I am flying away tomorrow for a week (my sisters wedding) so I need to get process in motion tonight! Ahhhh!

please help if you can.

Thanks in advance,
    Jen

Profile photo of grossrealisationgrossrealisation
    @grossrealisation

hi jen
    will make it quick
    1st we are all scared some more then others.
    sell the units off and put it back is ok just watch your structure for tax.
    you can ask for along settlement put here one for outside the box.
    get a long term settlement get an investor who wants to invest in these units sell at a lower price to them and they fit them out making sure you have a bit of fat in the units you off load
    get them to pay up front some money to get you over the equity problem.
    look out side the square and you will get over this little rpoblem and not sure if camder will like me saying this but if I say email me dazzling will try to jump down my neck so email camder and he will give you my last sugestion for his little equity hump in the road.
    don’t all email him

here to help

Profile photo of stargazerstargazer
    Participant
    @stargazer

Hi all

Thanks for your replies and i’ll try and address some questions.

Dr.X
    The vacancy rate for the townhouses is virtually nil. This particular townhouse has never been without a tenant.

Management fees under the current PM are 7%.

The townhouses i have looked at similar are around $300000.

I had an independant valuer do a valuation and they came up with
    1700000 for land
    1400000 for building
    total 310000

There rental appraisal unfurnished was $300 a week.

Yes it is torrens title so land under is part of it. The land is actually 115sqm and the building 80sqm thus the company title for shared drivethrough to garages.

Yes Hallet Cove and some other areas but i find that paying say 275000 for a house and land the best sort of rent would be about 230-260 a week which would be more negatively geared.

Gross realisation
    The vacancy rates are very low
    townhouses in the area sold for 295000-320000 similar.

Rental term has been 12 months each lease
    management fees 7%
    building insurance 400pa
    landlord insurance contents included 205pa
    furniture is virtually brand new so no need to refurnish for a while carpets in good order and paint etc.
    Demographic is mixed but more in the 25-35 age group.

Hope this gives some additional information i really like this but i don’t want to get emotional on it.

At 390 a week plus depreciation for furniture/fixtures and fitting/building it should be close to neutral i figure.

What i like about it it can be used for short term accomodation that is leased to a company to manage and run it with a guranteed return this would give me 4% building depreciation or leave it as Residential and still get the 2.5%.

Hope this helps. Any input welcome on th eabove.

I do find that city property appears to be getting better rents than in the outer suburbs. The cost of the property is pretty close. I reckon CBD could be undervalued.

This is not a multistory set up they are all two storey townhouses.

I guess what i am seeking do i use the unfurnished rental to do the calcs or the real amount that i would get furnished.

regards
    SG

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways Beer in one hand – Pizza in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO!”

Profile photo of mummum
    @mum

Hi Stargazer

Don’t you mean community title for shared driveway?

If company title, then you will have difficulty with finance. Banks and others don’t like company title or even moiety title (there are still some of those around the Glenelg area).

Also, check out the property manager if you are going to continue with them. Are they related to the original developer? In which case, there may be some cross-linking which you are paying for.

Participant
    @stargazer

Hi mum

I am pretty sure it is a company title. Each townhouse owns there own bit of land extending ahead of the garage and front door. This means that other vehicles will drive over your turf. A company name was created and registered. There are no financials just a yearly fee. So one would become a managing director of part of a driveway….lol

cheers
    SG

@xenia

SG
    my appologies for jumping to conclusions too quickly. It makes me wonder how many great deals I must have lost just by doing this :(

[email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

Participant
    @stargazer

Hi Dr. X

Thankyou for your reply.

What do you mean by lost deals just by doing this?

So in this situation should one use the unfurnished rental figures or the actual whats happening furnished?

Kind regards
    SG

@xenia

sorry,
    I meant that I would have lost deals just by having this attitude. Nothing to do with your current deal[blush2]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats the trouble with writing on forums you could easily be misinterpreted.

[email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.