Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I just wanted to write something on why posts get moderated.

I have had some further direction from Steve and it supports how I view things and moderate.

Posts have not and will not be moderated because they question Steve’s methods or business activities.

Posts that are discourteous of other people, that use abusive or hurtful language or are simply innapropriate will be edited or deleted.

Maybe I am getting older but I really feel that a number of people just lack the skills to constructively criticise or even to have a professional disagreement. People seem to sink to personal attacks and name calling – this is school yard tactics and will not take anyone far in the real world of business and investing. There is an art to writing well and it is worth learning. I know I have much to learn.

So if you take your time to create a post, double check it to see that it is inoffensive and impersonal then you will not be moderated.

All the best,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    ***NODOC @ 7.15% to 70% LVR***
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

What kind of Bl**&% ^#$ *@!! [grrr]Post is that [biggrin]

Actually Simon, I think the moderators do a great job here in keeping everything on track and mediating between members of the forum as well as keeping out the spam and casual salespeople who visit to promote their wares.

I’ve learnt a lot from the forum and made some GREAT contacts who have assisted me over time..

Thanks from me to the moderators who keep the forum on track..

[thumbsup2]

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of kpkp
    @kp

Just curious…
    There was a post recently on De***vex and it was locked immediately.
    There was nothing offensive or personal in it……so why lock it down when someone was simply asking a question??

kp

Profile photo of wayneLwayneL
    @waynel

Simon,

I think you’re doing a great job.

I moderate on another forum and I know the difficulties in trying to do the right thing by all concerned…allowing free speech, but drawing a line in the sand somewhere.

It’s not as easy as some folks think.

Cheers

wayneL’s Trading Pages

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Derivex was a very contentious subject here at one point leading to all sorts of problems.

There is nothing happening re Deriovex as noted on their website. It also seems likely that it will not be launched in the forseeable future.

As to why – this is between the staff there and ASIC. I doubt anyone else knows the truth. Everything we get here is pure conjecture.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of kpkp
    @kp
    Profile photo of munjymunjy
    @munjy

I have fairly liberal views on censorship, but I think that this is Steve’s site and he can do as he pleases. There’s no need for justification.

Personally though, I have so much to learn and so little time – especially to waste on offensive/irrelevant posts. So I appreciate not having to read those kind of posts- thanks to all the mods.

Munjy

Profile photo of Badgers_R_UsBadgers_R_Us
    Participant
    @badgers_r_us

Simon,

Those are fine sentiments so long as you treat people with an even hand. And despite what you say, I think you really do have your head in the sand if you think you and the other moderators are impartial. Take a recent post I made as a typical example. I raised an issue about the Today Tonight controversy. I felt it was relevant in light of recent discussions and issues raised on this site surrounding the Mentoring Program.

Within minutes there was a response telling me how tired and old this was, why was I dragging this up and telling me how out of touch I was because this was old hat, and telling me to go elsewhere if I didn’t like it etc etc. I was quite an aggressive tirade You’ve heard it all before because it’s the same MO for the handful of people who dominate this site. Now I don’t care about getting stick. If you post this kind of thing you can pretty much guarantee you’ll get some flack. But I’m not satisfied with the ducking and weaving that goes on when these questions are raised, so I enjoy pushing the point.

Back to my TT post – Naturally I responded in a manner befitting the level of flack I’d received. Yet I was the only one that was pilloried by the moderator and it was my responses that were deemed inappropriate and the thread removed. Yet if you analyse the thread, my topic was perfectly legitimate and worthy of discussion, perhaps not in everyone’s mind but it was not particularly offensive. Yet the responses to my post were highly critical and some were pretty agro. The only time the moderators stepped in and deemed responses as inappropriate is when I defended my position and came back with countering remarks.

It always follows the same pattern; I put up a post that goes against the grain of the general sentiments of the dominant group, it’s knocked about all over the place (often with a high degree of venom and aggression) by the usual suspects (including moderators), I post a response that is appropriate and at a level that is in keeping within the spirit of the blasting I’ve been given, and before you know it I’m the bad boy! Moderators seem to turn a blind eye to the vitriol in the posts that provoke such responses and hone in on the ones they don’t agree with.

And that’s fine if you want to have a club exclusively for mates of Steve (And yes Munjy, I know it’s Steve’s site and he can do what he likes with it. I had the same argument from my niece when she would not let anyone play with her unless they played by her rules. She ended up playing on her own), but don’t kid yourself that this site and the way it is moderated is in any way impartial. You can’t see it because all you get is a bunch of people agreeing with you (just look at the sycophantic responses that followed your post and then just watch the blasting I’ll get from this one).

Profile photo of wayneLwayneL
    @waynel
    Originally posted by Badgers_R_Us:

(just look at the sycophantic responses that followed your post and then just watch the blasting I’ll get from this one).

Sycophantic?

Thats a laugh, I’m well known as a bit of an antagonist here.

Sycophantic!!!! hahahahaha really funny!!

wayneL’s Trading Pages

Participant
    @badgers_r_us

Well my apologies to you WayneL.

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Badger,

I never did see your TT post and I cannot comment on it.

Why don’t you give Steve a call and discuss your issues with him? There ia a contact number on the homepage.

Or you can keep moaning here about it and hope something changes.

Your call.

And please do me a favour and email me a link to any vitriolic posts regardless of the subject and I will address it. I am afraid that I cannot have my finger on every post – indeed I am only reading this one right now as I noticed you contributed [biggrin]

Have a good weekend mate

Simon Macks
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Participant
    @badgers_r_us
    Originally posted by Mortgage Hunter:

And please do me a favour and email me a link to any vitriolic posts [biggrin]

I would, but guess what, just about every post I made has been “moderated”!

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

What sort of investing strategy do you believe in Badger? What markets do you follow?

I have no doubt you have a lot to offer everyone here. You are clearly intelligent.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Participant
    @badgers_r_us

I’m not a full-time investor; I have my own company and generally use that as a vehicle for investment opportunities. Our Core business is in the IT space, but we diversify and use funds for other business ventures.

I have two IPs and am always on the look out. Trouble is with me I don’t like high stakes ventures, so I am inclined to only go for properties that are low risk. Low risk properties tend to be more difficult to find if you want to positively gear. My current IPs are very low risk – blue chip, period homes, close to transport and all the features that make them desirable, but they tend to be expensive and the returns are not as good, unless you get good capital growth.

I think you have to be a little more game to go for positively geared properties. It’s a bit of an art form in that there is some science, but you still need a good sense of the potential and you also need to do all the due diligence that lowers the risk of getting such purchases wrong, and I don’t have the time.

So what’s my philosophy, as with any financial advice, the fundamental is to live within your means and I’d say the same is true for inverting. Fine to gamble, but only gamble what you can afford to lose.

I’m sure there are people out there that will advocate a daring-do kind of approach, but that’ll only come from hindsight. I’m sure there are a lot of daring-do investors (probably ex investors) that would say something different. That’s why I think sites like this need to have a balanced discussion and keep the hype in check. This ain’t peanuts here. This is about peoples lives.

Profile photo of markpatrickmarkpatrick
    @markpatrick
    Originally posted by Mortgage Hunter:

I just wanted to write something on why posts get moderated.

I have had some further direction from Steve and it supports how I view things and moderate.

Posts have not and will not be moderated because they question Steve’s methods or business activities.

Posts that are discourteous of other people, that use abusive or hurtful language or are simply innapropriate will be edited or deleted.

Maybe I am getting older but I really feel that a number of people just lack the skills to constructively criticise or even to have a professional disagreement. People seem to sink to personal attacks and name calling – this is school yard tactics and will not take anyone far in the real world of business and investing. There is an art to writing well and it is worth learning. I know I have much to learn.

So if you take your time to create a post, double check it to see that it is inoffensive and impersonal then you will not be moderated.

All the best,

Simon Macks
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

As another member with a axe to grind, I have come to the conclusion this site is all shadows ad mirrors and of very little value but I don`t see the need for you to defend your actions, its perfectly understandable.
    I have often been against the grain and have never once had a post moderated.
    But I only visit rarely as I have decided not to post as I have more positive things to do with my time. My posts are there for anyone who wants to read an opposing veiw minus the insults, I don`t need them as they are based on fact.
    It is a shame that some posters do cross the line as thier credibility and good faith in thier opinion goes down the drain the very instant they do it.
    Good luck all.

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Hi Markpatrich – but you still come back don’t you, just can’t stay away incase you miss something? i love the human physic – not

Simon – you’re admitting that you r getting older, gosh mate you r too young to retire i know that for sure.

I remember an interview on TV with Aus golfer Peter Senior many years ago who said – opinions are like ar….les every body has one – but i like the old saying “its better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt”

My only frustation at times is that people ask questions without any research before hand. I think there r a lot of very young people here who want to succeed too quickly.

I am wondering if this site could be graded into generations of purchasers teens – 20’s – 30’s – 40’s etc and wether that would be more beneficial i am not sure.

Not with standing my comments this is a successful forum even though it is directed into one particular area of investing only, hey but that is what it is. Congrats to the loyal moderators such as Simon and the other followers. I visit here often but comment less because it is becoming for me very repetative.

regards to all … Phil … resi[blink]

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.