All Topics / Help Needed! / Looking after the tenant

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Profile photo of Shelley D.Shelley D.
    @shelley-d.

Hi Everyone,

With all the talk recently of bad tenants and lots of dramas that landlords are facing, I am a great believer in looking after my tenant. I read somewhere that some landlords send movie tickets, vouchers etc to their tenants. Is this true? Has anyone got any experience with this?

Much Appreciated,
    Gold Coaster.

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Hi Gold Coaster,
    Every Xmas I send my tenants and pm’s a xmas card. At the end of every 12 month lease, upon renewal I also send my tenants a CD voucher and a thank you card for being ‘such fantastic tenants’.
    Cheers,
    Gatsby.

“Sometimes the hardest thing to do in life is often the best thing to do.”

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

i also am a great believer in looking after my tennants, ours get bottles of wine and chockolates at christmas. we also are very attentive to accomodate their needs. ie plumbers, electricaians, locksmiths are there within hours after tenants call with a problem. even if we have to take losses for our properties due to multiple problems, we win in the long run as our tenants are always longer term!!!!!

We buy properties in Adelaide. Immediate Cash Settlements, No Real Estate Agents, No Fees.
    [email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

Profile photo of Fast LaneFast Lane
    @fast-lane

The tenants can go to HELL! [satan][satan][satan]

Just ripped this off a UK website;

Landlords from Hell:

“We always knew our landlord was dodgy, but on the day we moved out, he really tried to stiff us. We ended up leaving earlier than planned, meaning that our BT line was still connected. About a month later we get the bill from our former flat and it’s for hundreds of pounds more than we expected. Our lovely ex-landlord had decided it was a good idea to use our phone to call his relatives in Afghanistan. We then had to fight to convince BT that none of us knew anyone in Afghanistan.”
    Peter, London
    “I was living with two girlfriends in a shared flat, and our old landlord would just arrive unannounced, let himself in and use the loo whenever he felt like it.”
    Alison, Birmingham

“My old landlord would put up the rent every six months, arguing that the demand was so high that he had people queuing to rent the flat. He made it sound like Xanadu or something when there were hookers on the corner and dealers in every shop front. He also made us use gas and electricity meters which cost an arm and a leg.”
    A.M, Manchester

“Our landlord lived upstairs, and was just LOUD. He once had a party completely unannounced, which ended up with about thirty people Irish dancing above our heads at 3.00am. When we moved on he tried to charge us for the damage his party had done to the ceiling plaster.”
    Alba, Liverpool

“Our old flat was above the letting agents, who were all real Alice-band Sloane types. When we moved out they insisted that we have the carpets washed, which was a bit cheeky, because they were in a good state and they certainly weren’t cleaned before we moved in. We agreed anyway, and the head Sloane said she’d get a quote from a local company. The quote came back as nearly £500.00. We told them to stuff it but they withheld our deposit until we had the work done. In the end we bought a washer/vacuum thingy from Argos and did the whole job for about £80.00.”
    Carmen, South London

“The loo in our shared flat just stopped working, so we contacted the landlord. He came to look straight away and said he’d fix it, but not to let anyone else touch it. A week later and he still hadn’t. Two of the girls just went back to their Mum’s but luckily I knew the people in the flat next door who let me their loo. When he refused to get off his backside and do something about it we told him we wouldn’t pay any rent until he did and wouldn’t pay for the time that the flat had been basically uninhabitable. He still didn’t do anything and started making threatening noises. Two weeks later, we all moved out. Then the idiot took us to court for the rent he said we owed him. The judge threw out his complaint, made him pay our legal costs and asked him how he dared waste court time.”
    N, Egham

“When we decided to rent this flat it had way too many wardrobes, especially as it had this really cool, really deep walk in wardrobe for storage. We said we’d take the flat as long as we could have some of the wardrobes removed and the landlord agreed. On the day we moved in, the wardrobes were nowhere to be seen and the flat was just as we wanted it. Until that is we opened up the really cool walk-in wardrobe only to find the landlord had stuff all the other wardrobes in there.”
    Pritti, Brighton.

“I went to look at a flat where the landlady lived on the same floor. She was from a show business background and a bit eccentric, and I had a sneaking suspicion she fancied me, but it was a nice flat so I arranged a second viewing. When I got there she’d covered almost every flat surface in the flat with books open on pages of either dead or naked, sleeping people, and kept insisting on me looking at them. I didn’t take the flat.”
    Chris, Derby

@xenia

g7, I should show my tenants that list, it makes me look “normal”

We buy properties in Adelaide. Immediate Cash Settlements, No Real Estate Agents, No Fees.
    [email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

@xenia

by the way, I HATE being called a landlady!!!!

Female landlords are still landlords!!!!!!!!

[email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

Profile photo of hmackayhmackay
    Participant
    @hmackay

I agree that we should look after the tennant.

They are the backbones of our investments same as employees at work.

I treat all people as equals till they prove differently , no matter their colour, race , religion etc just like my staffie (he will lick anyone to death).

There will always be some scum bags around but they are a very small percentage.

Go on give your tennants something they never expected. It doesn’t cost much per year!!

Cheers, roll on Christmas!!!!!!

hrm

Profile photo of ShwingShwing
    Participant
    @shwing

I had a tenant sign up in January this year. The place was still dirty because of a bad tenant that was in the place when I purchased it and I subsequently had evicted. The new tenant agreed to take the place as it was and do the cleaning himself, if I waived the first weeks rent. Sounded like a good deal to me. He has since repainted the place because he didn’t like the colours, (nor did I for that matter). Paid and did the work himself. He is definently a keeper, and the type of tenant worth spoiling at Christmas.
    Actually, as the place is fully furnished, I can upgrade some of the decore etc for him and still claim it as a deduction.

Mal

Getting out of your comfort zone, can help you become comfortable

Profile photo of Shelley D.Shelley D.
    @shelley-d.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, yes Christmas sounds like a good time to give a little gift. Like the idea of chocs and wine – everyone loves them!

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

I spoil my tenants every single day by unfailingly providing them with a roof over their heads and four walls around them. I make a point of providing this to them every single day as is required in the lease.

Despite my absolute consistency, sometimes my residential tenants decide that paying the rent is optional, despite it being required in the lease. Apparently this is my fault when it happens.

Still waiting for any residential tenant to throw any goodies my way for free, as I am surely one of the most consistent and long termer type of Landlords. I’m not holding my breathe. Apparently this is one way traffic only. Landlord’s don’t enjoy choccies and wine….we subsist on bread and water apparently.

None of the above applies to my non-res tenants.

The industrial tenants spoil me every day by spending money on my property, always pay rent a month in advance and keep the property clean and attractive to their customers. I reciprocate in kind and our business relationship flourishes. Actually, they appreciate being left alone most of the time and simply get on with making oodles of money in their respective businesses.

I think if I gave some of my stone cutters, truck drivers and wood merchants a bunch of flowers and choccies at Xmas there would be a few strange glares.[blink] Maybe some electric power tools and a handy pocket knife….now ya talkin’.[biggrin]

Cheers,

Darryl Moore

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

Of course there is a risk that you will seen as patronising if you sling a tenant some choccies at christmas.
    I had a tenant in a block of flats last year who loved gardening. The area outside her flat looked fantastic – lots of flowers. I started giving her (via my PM) a monthly voucher to a local garden centre so she could tackle the rest of the garden. She loved it. The other tenants loved it. I loved it because my PM was contacted by people wanting to move in there next time a flat became available. And it was easy to edge the rents up.
    Think creatively.
    Scott

Tax Depreciation Schedules
    Australia wide service
    1300 660033
    [email protected]
    http://www.depreciator.com.au

Profile photo of komarikomari
    @komari

As an ex-renter (hopefully soon to be a landlord) I never had a landlord from hell, but I also never received anything for being a good tenant. I would certainly do something as a landlord because everyone loves to be appreciated. Be wary of the wine and chockies tho. I personally don’t drink (no problem with chockies) & if I tried those particluar items I would probably find my tenant was a tea-totaling diabetic (my luck being what it is). The voucher idea is fantastic.

komari

Profile photo of Oxygen FundingOxygen Funding
    @oxygen-funding

I agree that this is a fantastic idea! We’ve been on both sides, and had landlords from hell and a fantastic tenant who has just given notice which is a bummer – hopefully the new tenants will be as good. We did the place up before he moved in – within our budget and he did little odd jobs to complete the work and has kept everything immaculate. Fingers crossed the next one is as good and we’ll be doing the xmas gift of appreciation too.

Get your money working for you instead of a bank! You could earn up to 3% PER MONTH on your money. Ask me how!

Profile photo of Oxygen FundingOxygen Funding
    @oxygen-funding

turns out our poor tenant is moving out because of a rabbit boiling ex girlfriend! Bummer – wish I’d known earlier I could have had her shipped off to Botswania!

Get your money working for you instead of a bank! You could earn up to 3% PER MONTH on your money. Ask me how!

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

I used to give my tenants easter eggs and x mas pressies, but now I’ve stopped that with the new tenants.

I just make sure that the property is in very good repair and well maintained- if something needs fixing it is done immediately- something any landlord should be doing anyway, but not always are so quick to do.
    Oh I also ask about once every lease term (through my PM) what the tenants think needs doing to the house to make it more comfortable for them and attend to that if it seems reasonable.

Last time they said the carpet (there is timber flooring throughout the house except in one bedroom) could do with a clean because their kids had spilled something and they couldn’t get it out, and I gave them a free professional carpet clean. I also told them that they could have their own launge room rug cleaned at the same time- it didn’t cost that much more to throw that in. They loved this gesture.

I am providing a home in excellent condition; they pay me rent (so far in time).

I do like the gardening voucher idea for the tenant who loves gardening, Scott.

Celivia

Profile photo of PrakmanPrakman
    @prakman

Hi Everyone,

Its great to see some real business minds at work. I agree with the philosophy that your tenants are your silent investment partner, without them, your cashflow would be very difficulty.

As an owner of 3 IP (all managed by ourselves), we reward our silent partners by giving sending them a $20 Coles-Myer gift voucher for them to use ONLY if their rents are up to date and the property is immaculate at their quarterly inspection. BOY what a HIT!! [biggrin] If 3 months go by and we havent sent them a notice fir an inspection, like clock work, we will get SMS’s demanding us to do it!! For $240 per year, it’ll be the best investment that you’ll ever invest.

Happy Investing,

Prak[suave3]

Profile photo of Shelley D.Shelley D.
    @shelley-d.

Last inspection we send our tenants a gift voucher for Babies Galore as we were aware that they had just had a new baby. They were so blown away and rang us direct. The tenant unfortunately decided after that to move out as they needed more room. The good side to this story as they rang us direct to see if we had any other properties that they were able to rent as they wanted to rent from us! We were more than happy to help out as they were excellent tenants, just had outgrown that particular property.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.