All Topics / Finance / offset or redraw

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of eecchhooeecchhoo
    Participant
    @eecchhoo

I am going to build my first PPOR and paying 80% of the loan (No mortgage Insurance). I have about $20K of saving that will be used for finishing the house in the next 1.5 year.

Should i go for Homeloan with offset account or Basic loan that has redraw facility?
    Because i notice that for homeloan with offset account has higher rate about 0.3-0.5% higher than Basic homeloan.
    Does Redrawing almost the same as Offset except there is a redrawing fee?

Thanks

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Since it is an owner occupied home, from a taxation POV then there shouldn’t be any difference. However if you were going to move out and rent this place at a later date, then an IO loan with an offset account would be much better – this enables you to keep the loan high while reducing interest by puttin geverything into the offset account.

Most lenders charge a fee for redraw, but this shouldn’t matter too much if you only intend to redraw a few times.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of eecchhooeecchhoo
    Participant
    @eecchhoo

Thanks Terryw,

I think i have decided to take a Homeloan with offset account as it’s more flexible.

Profile photo of slesle
    @sle

It all comes down to how many times you plan to redraw I guess. Sit down and work out the break even point on cost of redraws vs planned offset balance and interest rate difference.
    Personally I run with an offset account, but make sure the offset account doesnt carry fees also as some do and that will alter the equation also.
    Cheers
    Matt

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.