All Topics / Opinionated! / Sponsoring a Child

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Profile photo of Lawry73Lawry73
    @lawry73

Most of us on this forum are driven to create wealth. What about sharing with those less fortunate ones?

I have been sponsoring a child through Compassion for over 2 years and I think it’s one of the many ways to share with others.

I’d like to encourage you to share what you have in a consistent manner and I believe seeing a child grows up with the opportunities you have provided brings great satisfaction.

http://www.compassion.com.au or any other organisations.

Profile photo of Esther TanEsther Tan
    Participant
    @thewizard

I have a sponsor child too in Uganda. Also through Compassion. She’s 8 yrs old. I’ve had her for 2 years now.

It’s amazing how a little bit of money from the western world can make such a big difference to other people’s lives which we take for granted like bread and water.

One reason why I sponsored a child was to have a balanced attitude to money, to be able to give it away to worthy causes and not become very self centred and tight caught up in my journey for financial freedom. Of course you have to look at your budget and not over stretch yourself but it’s good to make room for charity.

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

we had been sponsoring a boy from africa for 4 years, through world vision. i have been thinking of adding another one this year for my daughters 2nd birthday.

we have this problem with relatives being adicted to buying our kids lots of plastic crap for their birthdays and christmas, every year we request “no presents” on birhday invites and every year we get more plastic crap. I dont mean to sound ungrateful, I just hate the clutter, our kids have more than enough of what they need and anything extra is just clutter (yes we do give most of it away to charaties!!)

This year, we came up with the idea of sponsoring another child and getting relatives to direct their money there instead!!! Hopefully this will not only help a child, but it will be a solution to a problem!

hope it works!!!

We buy properties in Adelaide. Immediate Cash Settlements, No Real Estate Agents, No Fees.
    [email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

Profile photo of andrewff1@aapt.net.au[email protected]
    Participant
    @andrewff1-aapt.net.au

I agree! For many years my chosen sponsorship organisation has been World Vision. Now I have set up my own charity, to help the thousands of suicidal homeless youth right here in our own “lucky country” of Australia.
    See my posting in ‘Opinionated’ and/or take a look at http://www.friendlyfarms.org.au

Andrew Ogilvie

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

I can vouch for Compassion as a great organisation. We regularly recieve personal letters and drawings from our sponsor child – it’s great to hear from her and to read about her life and progress.

Regards,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of giddogiddo
    @giddo

regarding your idea of getting people to direct xmas present money to a less fortunate child Dr X,

We tried something like this 4 years back. Unfortunately some relatives didn’t understand really and thought we were suffering from a “holier than thou” complex.
    This sort of thing is the right thing to do – but I found a lot of people get tangled up with their own guilt feelings and are unable to do it without becoming resentful toward the person suggesting it.
    At the time we suggested that families not buy each other a heap od krapola each christmas instead buying one modest item for the whole of each family. We then told the others we would be setting the example of buying less for everyone and spending the savings on a sponsored child.
    We still sponsor the five year old girl in Honduras and are happy to. It is a great thing for us.
    But Christmasas have regressed back to krapfests I am afraid.
    It was all too much for some to cope with. They looovvvee their krap! Hope your family is different.

Giddo
    http://www.standrewsplace.com.au

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

Profile photo of ozsparky200319117ozsparky200319117
    @ozsparky200319117

We are only at the beginning of our wealth trip but nevertheless have been sponsoring our little boy James from Zambia through World Vision for the last 3-4 years. Seeing pics of him wearing the clothes that we have sent is a real feel good thing. We have also more recently taken in my sons best friend who can’t live at home any more due to an intolerable situation & he is such a joy to have around & goodness knows far more helpful around the place than my boys!

Sparky

Profile photo of Lawry73Lawry73
    @lawry73
    Originally posted by SteveMcKnight:

Hi,

I can vouch for Compassion as a great organisation. We regularly recieve personal letters and drawings from our sponsor child – it’s great to hear from her and to read about her life and progress.

Regards,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Hi Steve,

You read my post!!! [specool]

Thanks for all the comments.
    If we can make a difference, we should try to make it happen.

One advice that we’ve been given for writing letters to these kids is that we should write something about ourselves and not what we own and have achieved. These children do not have wants but needs. What we say have an impact, seen or unseen. I realised that we sometimes identify ourselves with what we have and own but less of what we actually are. I find that a refreshing challenge.

One of the challenges I put to myself is to create wealth to impact the unfortunate ones and I think I am learning to build something that will last, hopefully.

Profile photo of katehasescapedkatehasescaped
    Participant
    @katehasescaped

What an excellent topic! It is nice to see a post about the good things we can do with our money that make a difference.

Sometimes I find it is so easy to focus on the ‘me, me’ side of things, I forget that part of the reason I want to make money from property investing is to put myself in a position where I can give greater financial support to the charities I care about who are out there making the world a better place.

Kate

Profile photo of PeteJackiePeteJackie
    Participant
    @petejackie

Hi Everyone,

Great topic. Jackie & I have been considering sponsering a child for a while now.

I seem to recall something on TV a few years back stating that only a small percentage of the amount contributed actually filtered through to the child you were sponsering.

Does anyone have any further info on this?

Cheers,
    Pete & Jackie

Profile photo of giddogiddo
    @giddo

Hi Pete and Jackie,
    We are with CCF (Christian Childrens Fund) and they guarantee that 80 percent of the funds donated make it to the family/community/child that is sponsored.
    They have been v good we can write and our sponsored child Annie writes back and so does her family (who all benefit through our donation of $365 per year. I thoroughly recomend sponsoring a child. It is nice to be sure that another human being (and their family) has benefited greatly through my actual existence in the world. I don’t think I could promote that much benefit closer to home because we all have so much in comparison.

Giddo
    http://www.standrewsplace.com.au

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

Profile photo of katehasescapedkatehasescaped
    Participant
    @katehasescaped

Hi Pete & Jackie,

I was wondering that too and I did a quick search on the Internet and came up with this article:
    http://www.newint.org/issue111/keynote.htm

It is a bit old (so maybe no longer current) but may still apply and seems to come from a good source: http://www.newint.org/index4.html

However, maybe the effectiveness of sponsoring a child depends on which program you use as I am sure there are some that are very good.

Kate

Profile photo of PeteJackiePeteJackie
    Participant
    @petejackie

Thanks Giddo, That is reassuring to know.

Kate, Interesting link. I’d never considered the possible inferiority unsponsered children might feel.

Cheers.

Pete

@xenia

Kate,
    thanks for that info. I actually recieved some jigsaw puzzle game things from world vision today to send to our sponsored child for christmas at the cost of $5. we refused! We have also refused to send photos or letters to the child, we figured that these people have enough problems without having to deal with western celebrations that are out of their reach!

that article actually confirmed that we made the right descision!

We buy properties in Adelaide. Immediate Cash Settlements, No Agent Fees.
    [email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

@xenia

when we decided to sponsor a child, my husband and I made the descision that we would choose the first one available on the website regardless of age, gender or race.

We have been to friends homes where they have their sponsored child displayed and commented on how “pretty” this little girl was! Makes me wonder how westerners choose a sponsored child and what impact it has on the less “pretty” ones!

Are we just imposing western superficial standards on these kids?

We buy properties in Adelaide. Immediate Cash Settlements, No Agent Fees.
    [email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

Profile photo of LukeNealeLukeNeale
    @lukeneale

Hey to all,
    We have a sponsor child through Compassion. A little boy from El Salvador. Compassion are a brilliant organisation and we are happy to be able to in some way help others.
    Talking of how far our wealth can go in other countries. Imagine, I have a friend who just returned from Vietnam – on like a missionary trip. She visisted orphanages and met a little girl who was only a day or twop away from death. The doctor told her (and the group she was with) that she ahd a hole in the heart and was close to death. My friend asked how much the operation would cost to fox the hole and he told her (the equivelant) of A$1000. She signed a cheque and the girl’s life was saved. She had an operayion the next day.
    Imagine that for the price of a gym membership here in Oz, little kids can literally be saved from death through life saving opeartions.
    If I’m in the Investment business – it’s certainly not to buy a new car of house. Once my family is taken care of, I swear that I’m going to use what I have to save these kids and others less fortunate then us.
    YOU CANT GIVE AWAY WHAT YOU DONT HAVE! SO IF YOUVE GOT SOME, GIVE IT AWAY. When was the last time you saved a kids life!

Sorry to get a little passionate but someone has to!
    Luke

Profile photo of Lawry73Lawry73
    @lawry73

Luke,

What a story! Yes I agree with what you guys have said so far. Let’s continue to make every cent count and that has made me to live a no frills lifestyle, and I’m still very happy and grateful.

Check out the various programs on sponsoring children. I’m sure you can find the info you need.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.