All Topics / Forum Frolic / After that 1st Investment? Don’t do this!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of Fast LaneFast Lane
    @fast-lane

Working hard and saving usually does the trick for most people, but if all else fails;

Man to sell kidney to buy home
    From correspondents in Vienna
    September 16, 2005

A 38-year-old unemployed man from Vienna has offered to sell one of his kidneys for 150,000 euros ($246,507) to fund the purchase of an apartment, a report said overnight.

“Special offer. Who needs my kidney? Healthy, non-smoker. Fixed price: 150,000 euros,” read the advertisement he posted in the city’s underground railway network, Heute newspaper reported.
    The man named only as Josef V told the newspaper he hoped to buy an apartment in Vienna, lease it to someone else and live off the proceeds so he would not have to seek work.

A television program about kidney donors gave him the idea, he said.

But Austrian authorities are likely to take a dim view of jobless Josef’s pension scheme. While organ donations are permitted in Austria, sales are banned.

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

gee $150,000 ueros!!!

I wonder how much his brain would be worth!

We buy properties in Adelaide. Immediate Cash Settlements, No Real Estate Agents, No Fees.
    [email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

Hehe, funny!
    Do you think that if he got a good price he’d do it again?

Celivia

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

You can count me out. I’ve already donated one. Is this what we call thinking outside the square. You only need 1 kidney to have a happy healthy life. His body, his choice. Would we think any different if he was working, owned his own home but wanted some extra funds? How much would you pay to buy a kidney and save your loved ones life?

C2

Rich in happiness and money is better than rich in money with no happiness.

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

I don’t think you can put a price on a loved one. I tell you though I’m glad I quit smoking. Had a full check up and there’s nothing wrong with my lung. As for bizarre ads, the best one was in The Melbourne Trading Post last year (true story).

For Sale: ‘Tractor, little use, runs well.
    Ideal for farm’.

Where else would you drive it?
    Cheers,
    Gatsby!

“Sometimes the hardest thing to do in life is often the best thing to do.”

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

Although I was laughing about this kidney 4 sale ad, when you think about it, it is really tragic that people in third world countries ARE actually selling their organs (kidneys, eyes) to save them and their family from starvation.

And sheesh, the “secret” things happening in Chinese prisons- after execution the prisoners’ organs are being traded.
    Corruption: lawyers being paid to hand out a death sentence because organs are in demand.

Sorry if I spoiled the fun on the fun forum, but I just wanted to mention that although it is funny in this case, to read an ad like that, it also reminded me of all the terrible things happening with organ trading in the world.

Celivia

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

Celivia, couldn’t agree with you more, the world can often be a horrible place and continually think how lucky we are to be born in a country like Australia. Sacrifice here in Oz can be a bit different from somewhere such as China.

On the lighter side, Gatsby, your comment about your lung being ok, is that like the saying “I cut my smoking half when I lost one of my lungs”?

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Hi jhopper,
    Yes I am trying to cut down. By Monday I hope to be down to ‘3 lighters a day!’
    Cheers,
    Gatsby!

“Sometimes the hardest thing to do in life is often the best thing to do.”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.