Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of jcso99jcso99
    Participant
    @jcso99

I’ve bought a 2 unit bedder in QLD 6 months ago and originally the property was cashflow positive but 2 months ago, one of the tenant left and since then unable to find another tenant [comp]. So now, the property is negatively geared but 2 weeks ago, I have learnt a HUGE lesson and it is the importance of insurance. When I bought the proeprty 6 months ago, the building report states that there was an old hot water unit in the roof and the builder says it is very common in QLD and it is not leaking and cost $2k to remove it from attic. 2 weeks ago, that same unit fell thru the ceilings onto one of the bedrooms (fortunately, it fell onto the vacant bedroom) and my property manager informed me of the decision and I told her to immediately contact the body corporate and my landlord insurance company to discuss repair bills. Luckily, the existing tenant is very understandable and he is fine with it.

After this incident, I strongly recommend another contemplating of being a landlord to take out insurance to cover contingencies and also to have a competent property manager that will not choke in stressful situation and she has sorted out the entire drama in about 2 working days. She is currently liaising with insurance company to discuss repairs and timeframe.

Somebody may be deterred from this incident to invest further from property but I treat this as a very good lesson to learn and become a more informed property investor and share more stories with my fellow forumates.

Cheers
    john

Currently own 1 -ve geared property but wanting to own 10 +ve cashflow properties within 2 years (either locally or overseas) and enjoying the journey along the way.

Profile photo of giddogiddo
    @giddo

Great story John,
    Makes one want to look upwards involuntarily….
    I am glad I have no hot water systems in the ceiling at my house.At least I don’t think there are. I had better check I suppose.
    I am not so sure about this stuff about it being pretty common in qld to have HW systems overhead.
    I hadn’t heard that one before and I live in sunny Queensland.
    I will check my Insuarance Policy for a clause covering hot water coming down[blink]

Giddo
    http://www.standrewsplace.com.au

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

Profile photo of hmackayhmackay
    Participant
    @hmackay

John,

Good story good lesson.

You never know when you need insurances.. Good management that you had it in place.

I wonder if the person who did the building report could be held responsible? Did they recommend that the HWS be removed ASAP?

I’d appreciate you advising us of the outcome from your insurance company.

Hope you get a tennant soon.

hrm

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.