All Topics / Help Needed! / Between Two Rocks and Jurien – Perth

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of Aly1Aly1
    Participant
    @aly1

Hi again,

Looking at the areas between between Two Rocks and Jurien.

Been looking at Lancelin. Does anyone have opinions on the areas up there?

Thanks again, Aly[biggrin]

Profile photo of Finance FriendFinance Friend
    @finance-friend

Lancellin is a terrific spot, only 1 hour north of Perth, Im quite a fan of it. It is a tourist haven especially over long weekends and school holidays, however I consider it quite pricey in comparison to surrounding areas. Ledge Point is about 10 mins south and I believe has more to offer, but it all depends on what sort of investment you’re chasing.

On the other hand, have a closer look at Jurien. Also another tourist haven, but also driven more specifically by industry. The crayfishing mecca of the immediate north, very reasonably priced for the land on offer. I believe they’re building or renovating the marina? There are 3 or 4 new staged developments opened very recently, the more popular being Jurien Heights, 5 acre lots just out of town with views to the coastline.

I have financed several lots in this group and the banks are now quite positive in their attitudes lending in those areas now.

Hope this is of some help!

Regards,
    Rob

Rob Whyte
    Certified Mortgage Consultant MIAA

Principal & Licensee
    The Mortgage Gallery
    e [email protected]

Winner 2004 National Office of the Year!

Accredited with over 27 lenders nationally. 15 years experience in commercial and residential lending, ask me anything, if I dont know, I’ll find out!

Profile photo of Aly1Aly1
    Participant
    @aly1

Hi Rob,

Thanks for that. How much further up is Jurien from Lancelin?

Saw on the net – 5 acre lots in Jurien for $169,000.

5 acre lots in Lancelin at SeaView are going for around the same price and closer to perth….

Does anyone know much about the estates in Lancelin. There is SeaView / Sunset Estate in Ocean farms.

Sunset estate has surprised me – a friend of mine bought in at $79,000 – these were special pre-released blocks – this was only about 4 months ago when it was released. They then went up to $100,000 then to $160,000 and blocks there are now $220,000.

Hope to hear from you guys soon, Aly[biggrin]

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

What kind of tenant base do you have there though..a nice holiday spot does not always a good investment make..

what are the population figures and vacancy rates at different times of the year for the area..??

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Aly,

We purchased a holiday shack between Two Rocks and Jurien about 5 yrs ago as a ‘get away house’. It’s on the top of a hill in Guilderton with 180 deg ocean views. We have it on casual holiday rental, and we sneak up there every now and again when it is vacant.

According to VGO figures, it’s been doing 35% cap. gain over the past 12 months…I’m not sure I quite believe that though…probably a low number of properties have turned over.

There’s a whopping difference between Lancelin and anything south vs Jurien. The coastal road only goes to Lancelin. If you want to get to Jurien you have to go around on the Brand Hwy. Apparently the plan has been to extend the road up to Jurien for the past 15 yrs or so, but as usual there is the usual bickering and arguing between State and Federal Govts over funding and timing.

In terms of cashflow on the place, it costs us about $4K p.a. to hold the place after tax. It’s gone up about $220K in value in those 5 years, so we’ve made 200K and had great holidays for free for the past 5 years. The wife and kids absolutely love it up there.

Takes 70 mins to get there from the Perth CBD. Much quicker than the 3 hour ‘down south’ thing. Best of all there is a lovely quiet fresh water river and no awful skanky estuary smells.

Best thing about Guilderton is it’s on septic tanks. The council has said “No more lots”. Apparently 414 lots is all the environment can handle and that’s it. So if you want to be near a fresh water river close to Perth with ocean views in a country atmosphere, there’s only one mechanism to cope with increased demand…higher prices. [biggrin]

Cheers,

Darryl Moore

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Participant
    @aly1

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Will keep my eye out for something up there….

Don’t you think the North part of WA has alot of catching up to do with the south areas?

Also heard there will be an Indian Ocean Hwy going up soon – anyone else heard of that?

Thanks A
    [blink]

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

it probly is a bit cheap and thus better value compared to the south, but don’t forget northern beaches are pretty windswept and barren. nothing against them but there isnt exactly a choice of wineries or boutique breweries. the mooted highway will be built one day I am sure – the state govt is very keen to take the pressure of the south west.

http://www.megapropertygroup.com

INVESTMENT SALES * RENTAL SOLUTIONS * STRATA MANAGEMENT

Profile photo of kpkp
    @kp

Hmmmmm, a bit off topic but..
    I reckon we need more active mods from Perth on this forum, and as Ausprop is both knowledgable and active, I vote him to be nominated as a Mod.
    Anyone else agree with these sentiments ?

Probably in the ‘Developing made Easy’ section as there do not appear to be any active mods with a development background over there….

kp

Profile photo of hollyozhollyoz
    @hollyoz

dear aly,

I was also considering investing in the north either in lancelin or cervantes. There is a beautiful coastline there, and the houses are very cheap. I was there 1.5 years ago and checked out the prices. So many ppl are buying property down south, surely ppl will start looking to the north, especially with the developments from Joondalup onwards. However, I’m not sure what the rate of rent is up there. This is only my opinion. What are your thoughts?

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing
    Originally posted by kp:

Hmmmmm, a bit off topic but..
    I reckon we need more active mods from Perth on this forum, and as Ausprop is both knowledgable and active, I vote him to be nominated as a Mod.
    Anyone else agree with these sentiments ?

Probably in the ‘Developing made Easy’ section as there do not appear to be any active mods with a development background over there….

kp

Derek seems to be active on the Forum again after an abscence..but i’ll put my hand up for Ausprop as a moderator as well; he’s a wealth of knowledge..

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

We know Lancelin very well!
    It is a hot windsurfing spot, and the fav with Euros over the European winter (I married one).
    Have been looking at investing there for a number of years but the figures just never stack up. It comes down to the rental returns which are spasmodic and reliant upon holidayers/ winsurfers.It used to be cheaper than the southwest, but last 2-3 years has blown-out

There is no real industry base to support rentals other than Crayfishing season.
    There is no new land in Lancelin and the GinGin shire have been saying more is two years away for the past four years – lots of complications with native title and coastal development for a start.

The road connecting Lancelin and Cervantes has been talked about for years, as has the sewer through the town up to hotel. There were some townhouses planned for development there about 4 years ago, but were canned when sewer and road put on hold.

Also, the type of house that exist there are classic fibro beach shacks that require lots of maintenance

The difference between Lancelin and the towns further north i.e. Cervantes, Jurien is the release of new land and more development friendly. Lancelin could be great but parochialism blocks a lot of possibilities.
    The Seaview lots at Lancelin are a long way from beach and ocean views are distant.

I would go with Jurien or Ledge point – unless you’re a windsurfer! [sunny]

Participant
    @aly1
    Originally posted by julieandthomas13302:

It is a hot windsurfing spot, and the fav with Euros over the European winter (I married one).
    Have been looking at investing there for a number of years but the figures just never stack up. It comes down to the rental returns which are spasmodic and reliant upon holidayers/ winsurfers.It used to be cheaper than the southwest, but last 2-3 years has blown-out

There is no real industry base to support rentals other than Crayfishing season.
    There is no new land in Lancelin and the GinGin shire have been saying more is two years away for the past four years – lots of complications with native title and coastal development for a start.

The road connecting Lancelin and Cervantes has been talked about for years, as has the sewer through the town up to hotel. There were some townhouses planned for development there about 4 years ago, but were canned when sewer and road put on hold.

Also, the type of house that exist there are classic fibro beach shacks that require lots of maintenance

The difference between Lancelin and the towns further north i.e. Cervantes, Jurien is the release of new land and more development friendly. Lancelin could be great but parochialism blocks a lot of possibilities.
    The Seaview lots at Lancelin are a long way from beach and ocean views are distant.

I would go with Jurien or Ledge point – unless you’re a windsurfer! [sunny]

Participant
    @aly1
    Originally posted by Alysha:

Originally posted by julieandthomas13302:

Thanks for your thoughts.

There is a new land release in lancelin – sunset estate – was released about 4 months ago. Do you know anything about that?

It is in the Ocean farms estate. The prices there have gone through the roof. Went up for a drive – its a beautiful estate about 3 kms inland. 5 acre cleared parkland blocks. Developer has put on conditions for building – can’t build anything fibro… must be a certain size – can’t put caravans on the land etc. Apparently at the seaview estate you can build anything and park anything on your land – caravans etc.

And no further releases of land in Lancelin – isn’t that a good thing? Prices of current places will go up more if there is no other land developments?

Your thoughts?
    A

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Hi Alysha, I guess it depends on your interpretation of where Lancelin is.

To us, being several kms from the beach is not Lancelin.
    For holidayers proximity to beach is pretty important.

It seems like this is more of an opportunity for a relaxed lifestyle but as far as an investment property goes I dont know how you would go getting a tenant.
    Its maybe more of a buy and hold the land situation.
    Also check on the water supply situation, is there water or do you need tanks?
    Also check on how lenders would view this, it is essentially rural and if you cant prove a rental income would be feasible it may be quite difficult.

If you could afford to buy it for your own weekends it sounds great
    J

Participant
    @aly1

Yeah i was looking to buy and hold for a 2-4 years and hope for the best:)

They have a water tank with water supplied to all blocks and underground power and telstra services.

A[biggrin]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.